Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Lack Of Energy And Constipation.....still....

• Please log in to reply

20 replies to this topic

#16 Debra Adkins

Debra Adkins

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:20 PM

I have been gluten-free for 1 month now, was doing really. I was starting to feel alot better and was so excited that I was feeling myself again. Then this past week I feel like I'm back to square one, my nervous, brian fog, tiredness all this feeling came back. I am sticking to my diet and everything. I just don't understand...Sooo upset I just don't understand. Any advice?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 raea2002

raea2002

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:15 PM

Taking B12, a good multivitamin with a probiotic, watching what I eat and taking it a day at a time. Hope this helps. I hit a slump about then too and started the above and I feel much better. Hang in there.

#18 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:32 AM

I have been gluten-free for 1 month now, was doing really. I was starting to feel alot better and was so excited that I was feeling myself again. Then this past week I feel like I'm back to square one, my nervous, brian fog, tiredness all this feeling came back. I am sticking to my diet and everything. I just don't understand...Sooo upset I just don't understand. Any advice?

It's normal to have a variety of odd symptoms as you heal and adjust to the new diet. Be sure you aren't getting any trace gluten. Even a very tiny amount can get your system raging.

I also recommend getting a hydrogen breath test for SIBO if this continues. If you have SIBO you could get reactions from the toxins they emit as they consume your food.

#19 celiac10+

celiac10+

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:42 AM

This is very common. When I first went gluten free I felt better immediately, then started feeling crummy again a short time later. For many it can take atleast a year for the gut to heal (depending on the amount of damage). Also, simply removing the gluten is a great first step, however to actually heal the gut you need a solid supplementation regimen- Vitamin D, EPA/DHA, colostrum, B vitamins, probiotics, and a healthy diet are all recommended for gut healing. In addition, ginger is great for settling the stomach and is a powerful anti-inflammatory. Aloe vera is also great and helps with regularity. Magnesium also helps with regularity and anxiety. Make sure you are taking high quality supplements and not just buying them at the local WalMart as this will make a huge difference in the quality of your supplements.
Hope this helps. :)
I refuse to believe that we were put here to be ordinary. Sure, we all have our own trials, battles, and barriers; however I refuse to allow those things to hold me back from achieving my dreams.

#20 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:11 AM

I was gluten-free for almost 3 months and I didn't notice much change. Well, I did have a couple screw ups, or likely screw ups, and I think I should have laid off dairy, not just lactose.
Since going back to gluten for biopsy, I notice now that I am more bloated and peripheral nerves feel so bad they hurt sometimes again. Unfortunately, my energy and ability to concentrate haven't changed.
I'm giving myself 6 months to start feeling better in this regard, at least, before I start to worry that there's other issues they haven't found yet. Some people won't even have fully healed intestines after a couple years. Plus, you know you won't be getting proper nutrition UNTIL they're healed too, and then you still will probably need to build up nutrients and vitamins again. This stuff takes time.

Ahh, you say this week you've been bad. Are you sure it's not simply pms? Perhaps you never noticed pms symtpoms before because you already felt bad.
(I don't mean to say 'only' pms as if what you're experiencing is 'only' so bad, but rather that pms is a usual thing many women, including me, experience, that it's not some unknown thing making you ill)
diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#21 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:03 AM

I was gluten-free for almost 3 months and I didn't notice much change. Well, I did have a couple screw ups, or likely screw ups, and I think I should have laid off dairy, not just lactose.
Since going back to gluten for biopsy, I notice now that I am more bloated and peripheral nerves feel so bad they hurt sometimes again. Unfortunately, my energy and ability to concentrate haven't changed.
I'm giving myself 6 months to start feeling better in this regard, at least, before I start to worry that there's other issues they haven't found yet. Some people won't even have fully healed intestines after a couple years. Plus, you know you won't be getting proper nutrition UNTIL they're healed too, and then you still will probably need to build up nutrients and vitamins again. This stuff takes time.

Ahh, you say this week you've been bad. Are you sure it's not simply pms? Perhaps you never noticed pms symtpoms before because you already felt bad.
(I don't mean to say 'only' pms as if what you're experiencing is 'only' so bad, but rather that pms is a usual thing many women, including me, experience, that it's not some unknown thing making you ill)

FYI it took me closer to 9 months to have neuro stuff really settle. And that was after supplementing, retesting, then upping supplaments again.

And when I got glutened last week - I got stomach cramps, acid, and weird muscle cramps and the twitch in my eye came back - but this time in my cheek.

So, give it time and if you get glutened it won't set you back to zero but it can sure bring it back in a flash.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: