2 replies to this topic

#1 lizk

lizk

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:56 AM

I guess I am just mostly venting because I'm frustrated that I can't figure out what is wrong with me. Last fall I was having gastro issues (bloating, D, cramping) and also some skin issues - severly itchy bumps that would come and go. I went gluten-free (I realize now that was dumb before seeing a doctor) and the GI issues resolved almost completely except I was still having loose/soft stools and occasional undigested food. I went to a GI doc because of these issues (at this point it had been going on for about 3 months and I also still had random itchy bumps) just to be sure there was nothing else wrong and she couldn't find anything. Obviously she didn't do any celiac tests because I was still gluten-free at that point. She did say I had a slightly elevated folate level which could indicate bacterial overgrowth and also I was slightly deficient in vitamin D. Ironically by the time I had my GI appointment (literally that day), I had a "normal" stool and did for the couple days after. I had also cut out dairy for the past month or so.

So, I decided to start eating gluten again because I really didn't have any reason not to. Yes I felt better without it but I also thought maybe it was just a virus or bacterial infection or something that took a long time to get rid of. I am not so concerned with a definite diagnosis if it is celiac but I am more concerned with some diagnosis if it is NOT celiac if that makes sense, so I am back on gluten just to try to rule it out as a cause. I am still off dairy because I don't want to add both back in at this point, although I have had a little greek yogurt and small amounts of hard cheddar.

So here's what has happened over the past 10 days eating gluten. I have no pain really, but some bloating. I don't know what is "normal" for someone's stomach to bloat after they eat but in the morning my waistline is about 27 inches and then after breakfast it is about 29 1/2 - 30 inches. I have been eating Cream of Wheat for breakfast but this morning I had just a piece of whole wheat toast and a smoothie and my tummy was 30 inches.

I still have "loose" stools and I only go in the mornings. Usually the first one is just loose and unformed and then I may go again once or twice and those are considerably looser, and usually very thin.

I still have the itchy bumps but they are coming in different forms now. I still have the tiny blistery types ones occasionally but I am now getting bigger more bug bite-looking ones. I have two on each arm now and had one on each side of my abdomen earlier this week. They do not look like typical DH but I have no idea what they are. They have sort of like a little indentation in the middle and after they itch/burn they are also sore.

So I guess I am just confused and a little worried because obviously something is not right. It doesn't appear to be celiac but also there doesn't seem to be anything else wrong that shows up on any tests. I am temtped to go back to being gluten-free but even then I had the loose stools and tiny bumps. Maybe I didn't wait long enough? But if it is gluten wouldn't I be having more severe reactions now?

I know this is all rambling but it helps to just get out my frustrations!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Metoo

Metoo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

I would consider seeing a dermatologist at this point, your rash does sound like DH. I would ask a Dermatologist to biopsy it...I would tell them you had GI issues for months/years, and that they were unable to determine a cause, and that you went gluten free...and now that are adding it back in your rash is changing/worsening. Ask them to biopsy it (they should biopsy it along a active lession). I would also ask the dermatologist to do the blood test for celiac, a FULL panel.

#3 lizk

lizk

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

I would consider seeing a dermatologist at this point, your rash does sound like DH. I would ask a Dermatologist to biopsy it...I would tell them you had GI issues for months/years, and that they were unable to determine a cause, and that you went gluten free...and now that are adding it back in your rash is changing/worsening. Ask them to biopsy it (they should biopsy it along a active lession). I would also ask the dermatologist to do the blood test for celiac, a FULL panel.

Thanks for your advice! And thank you for reading my long post! :)

I think I will try to make an appointment with a dermatologist.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: