This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Living Without--newest Issue

celiac3270

celiac3270 Collaborator

I finally got around to slowly perusing the most recent issue of Living Without and I was so disappointed when I go to page 58! That page, entitled "Read it" gave little reviews on five books, one of which was The Gluten-Free Bible. I was so disappointed that they, too, gave it a glowing review. I believe I would be allowed to post that little bit (right?), but if it's illegal or something, let me know and I'll take it down:

The Gluten-free Bible (Owl Books) is a welcome resource for those living with celiac disease. Author Jax Peters Lowell does a superb job revising and updating her classic 1995 guide, Against the Grain. The new tome is packed with information presented creatively. Lowell's positive slant and witty prose guarantee a fun read. This is an important book for both the newly diagnosed and the veterans who wish to broaden their knowledge of living well, gluten free.

Oh wow. Obviously, whoever wrote this didn't know enough about celiac to spot all the inaccuracies, in product status, contamination issues, etc. I'm not even going to start elaborating--I've done that in past posts...I was just disappointed that they, too, overlooked such issues. This book is NOT important for the newly diagnosed, because it presents them with wrong information that they believe just because it's in a book that all these people are praising. This book is NOT for veterans to learn more--because in my short two years of personal experience, multiple forums, discussions with experienced celiacs, reading of reliable celiac authors (such as Danna Korn), celiac conferences, etc. I feel that I have a better handle on many of the topics than she. What is so distressing about this is that the voices of the "veterans" and the common celiacs are not heard--the people who read the books don't get their word in--but the less knowledgeable praise the book in magazine, important people in celiac organizations praise a book they probably have not read in full, and even DOCTORS give it their stamp of approval-- which they aren't really qualified to give, being that their expertise is medical, not lifestyle-related. What does a doctor know (or care) about the status of Cheetos or Butterball turkies. And many doctors don't even know the logistics of cross-contamination.

I am open to the opinions of others on this and would be happy to hear what you think of it. Even if you do not subscribe to the magazine, I've provided you with the text... and if Jax reads this and gets angry as she did on someone's post on Delphi and on the Delphites negatively reviewing her review on Amazon, then I say to her that I have a right to my opinion, to express my opinion and share it, to protect others from the inaccuracies in the book, and don't have a hissy fit and post to the Listserv again because you're upset that some celiacs don't like your book--I feel that Danna Korn is the best celiac author and I like the way she writes, yet I have heard a few celiacs (a tiny minority, but a few, nonethelss) criticize her books or style of writing. You cannot write a universally accepted book, but not all books are created equally acceptable.

My rant is over.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pixiegirl Enthusiast

Has everyone gotten their new issue of Living Without... I've been hearing about it here and I didn't get mine.

I guess i better get in touch with the publisher.

Susan

mommida Enthusiast

celiac3270,

Maybe it's time for you to write a book. From your perspective for other teenagers. As a parent of toddlers, I am not quite sure how to handle the teenage years on a gluten free diet. I am happy with the books I have bought, i.e. Danna Korn, but I have found your interaction on the board more helpful than the short stack of books I have on hand. How should kids deal with a "cookie flinger"?

Laura

laurelfla Enthusiast

oh no. :( i just bought this book and was pretty excited about it. i haven't gotten very far at all into it yet, so maybe that is why i haven't spotted the inaccuracies (that, or my own ignorance).

what books has Danna Korn written? i'd like to check into those if they are better.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I hear you, celiac3270. That's definitely detrimental to the newbies to celiac. I'm not as concerned about experienced celiacs reading it because they would know the inaccuracies in it.

celiac3270 Collaborator
  celiac3270,

Maybe it's time for you to write a book. From your perspective for other teenagers. As a parent of toddlers, I am not quite sure how to handle the teenage years on a gluten free diet. I am happy with the books I have bought, i.e. Danna Korn, but I have found your interaction on the board more helpful than the short stack of books I have on hand. How should kids deal with a "cookie flinger"?

Laura

Excellent idea :lol: . I MIGHT just do that. Not a complete reference book for every aspect of it--that would be an overwhelming task--but a Celiac for teens/kids thing. Thanks for the suggestion--I had been pondering that for awhile and your suggestion just might be the kick in the rear I need.

Laurel-- Danna Korn's most recent and thorough book is entitled "Wheat-Free, Worry Free." I own it and it is an excellent, thorough, well written book. Of all the celiac books available now I would recommend that one hands down. She also said she is working on another book.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I have 3 books..The Gluten Free Bible, Dangerous Grains, and Wheat Free, Worry Free. I don't think The Gluten Free Bible has harmed me in any way. However I don't read to find out what foods to eat, ingredients to watch out for etc...I already got all that info. from this site. Therefore I wouldn't consider it my gluten "bible" just another fun book to read. I'm more interested in the other aspects of the disease... history, testing, experiences...etc. If there are inaccuracies in that book then shame on her! However, I'm a newbie who was not harmed in the reading of that book. :)

Oh yeah...I also have about 4 gluten-free recipe books...I wouldn't trust anything in a book as far as food/ingredients go unless I've already done the research and know it to be true.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

Well celiac3270, I'm your first reserved copy. See if you can use Kaiti's liquid cleaner on the pizza analogy to her friends for your book. I just made the cheesecake recipe of yours today... AWESOME!!!

Laura

celiac3270 Collaborator

Yes--that is an excellent tool to explain it to friends--I've used that analogy ALL the time to explain why one crumb can do so much damage. Thank you for your support :P ...I'll let you know how it goes.

Bette Explorer
celiac3270,

Maybe it's time for you to write a book.  From your perspective for other teenagers.  As a parent of toddlers, I am not quite sure how to handle the teenage years on a gluten free diet.  I am happy with the books I have bought, i.e. Danna Korn, but I have found your interaction on the board more helpful than the short stack of books I have on hand.  How should kids deal with a "cookie flinger"? 

Laura

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:D:D:D:D

Hey celiac3270,

I second Laura's opinions. I would buy your book in a heartbeat!!! When I first joined you answered a lot of my posts, and I thought you were a very knowledgable ADULT. I was shocked when I learned your age. Not only that, I have seen the way you interact with the other teens on the teen forum, your very good. You helped my daughter a lot and she is preenteen. So when can we expect your first book? :)

Bette

ps I have not read the book in question. I truly valued everybodies opinions here on this message board and clearly, it was not held in high regard so I did not bother buying it.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
:D  :D  :D  :D

Hey celiac3270,

I thought you were a very knowledgable ADULT. I was shocked when I learned your age.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to admit I was pretty amazed myself...I thought he was an adult at first too. I read alot of his posts and was VERY surprised to find out he was 14!!! :huh:

mandigirl1 Enthusiast
Yes--that is an excellent tool to explain it to friends--I've used that analogy ALL the time to explain why one crumb can do so much damage.  Thank you for your support :P ...I'll let you know how it goes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know that even a small amount of gluten in your food is dangerous. I would like to hear from you (since your the knowledgable 14 year old Celiac here), is it really, really true that one crumb can do so much danger, because if thats true, Im in trouble. This might explain why I always feel lousy. I eat out alot and take risks, thinking, So? What if the french fries werent made in a separate frier, or that they made me a hamburger on a grill that had Gluten???? :unsure:

Have you had any personal experiences, or have research about the potential damage one crumb would be?????? If so, please share. Id love to learn more (as I am also a 4th grade teacher)

What analogy were you referring too?

Thanx!!!!! :D

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

The analogy was about what I had done a few months back:

My friends brought a pizza over and wanted to scrape the cheese off of the bread so I could have it and when I told them that I could not and why they didn't seem to get it. So I got out some cleaner and poured kitchen cleaner all over the pizza then scraped the cleaner off as best as I could and handed it to them to eat. And you know believe it or not they would not eat it! :lol: They seemed to get the visual very well and have not done anything like that since.

Those kind of analogies work well-also when people ask if even the smallest amounts of gluten cause harm then you can compare it to rat poison and see if they would have a little of that. Then you say the rat poison is to them what gluten is to you.

celiac3270 Collaborator
So when can we expect your first book? :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol...not for a long time...if it even ends up happening, it takes about a year after I have a first draft to publish...so who knows? :blink:

ryebaby0 Enthusiast

Oh yes! A book! Definitely, celiac3270 needs to write a book :) I mean, he already has a fan club.....

My son's analogy is a carpet -- most people have carpeting in their GI tract; celiacs have it too, but when they eat gluten it's like burning a spot bare with a cigarette (or as my son explains it, sparks from the fireplace, since everyone here has one). Eventually you don't have anything left, and in the meantime, your carpet is not quite "right".

Not too bad for a 10 year old

Joanna

swittenauer Enthusiast

I'm fairly new here so what exactly is Living Without?

celiac3270 Collaborator

It's a magazine for celiac and then some other intolerances and allergies.

Open Original Shared Link

jenvan Collaborator

I saw that review in my new issue and was disappointed too. Looks like someone needs to write a letter to the magazine... :)

debmidge Rising Star

I go in waves in buying magazines like Good Housekeeping, Ladies Home Journal, etc. and usually bring them home and throw them away as nothing in there remotely resembles my life (even before celiac). Anyway, my husband & I are in store & I buy Living Without - all the way home my husband grumbles over price of LW and tells me I buy too many magazines, etc. and get nothing out of them, etc. why waste money, etc.

Get home, he takes a look at LW and immediately he is reading it and then I try to take it from him, he's like "no, this is a good magazine; let me read it first, then you can have it." I mention to him that he grumbled about buying it the whole time in the checkout, now all of a sudden it's his magazine. His answer "I didn't realize you bought something that was really good to read."

So now we eagerly await each issue

I guess the Autumn issue is out now?

lbsteenwyk Explorer

celiac3270 - in all seriousness you should think about writing a book (it's not like you have anything else to do, right?) You have a great writing style; I'll bet you could get published! I think if you focused on teens with celiac disease you would have a unique and very marketable book. As an alternative, have you thought about writing an article for one of the gluten free magazines focusing on strategies for teens in coping with celiac disease?

PicturePerfect Explorer
celiac3270 - in all seriousness you should think about writing a book (it's not like you have anything else to do, right?)  You have a great writing style; I'll bet you could get published!  I think if you focused on teens with celiac disease you would have a unique and very marketable book.  As an alternative, have you thought about writing an article for one of the gluten free magazines focusing on strategies for teens in coping with celiac disease?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know, thats a good idea.. he is like the smartest person on the board - and if it helps, I would buy the book :D .. ooooh and you could donate some of the money that you get out of the book towards celiac research or something! Sorry.. I get carried away sometimes. :rolleyes:

celiac3270 Collaborator

--

hez Enthusiast

I hate to be the da (dumb a**) in the room but I have missed the point! Why is this book causing such reactions? How is the author wrong? I have not read this book or any book by this author. However I would like to understand why this person has not received celiac3270's respect.

Hez

celiac3270 Collaborator

See this thread--it's all explained there <_<

Open Original Shared Link

hez Enthusiast

Thank you! Now I understand.

Archived