#1 nightwolf67

nightwolf67

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

Hello all, I just joined.

I consider myself to be a fit and very health conscious little celiac lady :)

I've been a fan of NoGii bars to fuel my workouts, but am starting to get sort of sick of them...

Can anyone suggest another brand or type of gluten-free power snack I can try?

Thanks in advance!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

Hello all, I just joined.

I consider myself to be a fit and very health conscious little celiac lady :)

I've been a fan of NoGii bars to fuel my workouts, but am starting to get sort of sick of them...

Can anyone suggest another brand or type of gluten-free power snack I can try?

Thanks in advance!

I like Organic Food Bar, the protein one. It's not the BEST tasting one ever, but it's pretty good.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:34 AM

I tried these when I was traveling recently and needed snacks to have handy. I do not know how "powerful" they are, but they are pretty darn tasty :)

http://store.nugonut.../nugo-free.html

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 Eleanor Creasey

Eleanor Creasey

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

Not sure how much protein you want but Nugo Bars and Kind Bars very good.
Gluten-free since 2000

#5 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

I love Larabars. Also most of the Tiger's Milk bars have no gluten ingredients. Last time I looked, the cruch flavor was the only one with gluten.

#6 Susanna

Susanna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:35 AM

There's a great company called You Bar ( youbars.com ) in which you can order your own custom bars. This is AWESOME news for anyone with specific nutrition needs--you can choose type of protein, add fiber if you want, pick which fruits or sweeteners or, well, the possiblilities are endless! There's even an option to click on where they tell you if the bar you've chosen will be tasty or not. Very cool. You have to order a whole box, of course, and they're a little pricey (about $3/bar) but well worth it in my book.

Another I really like is the Simply Bar, available on (can't say the name, but it rhymes with cramazon.com ). These are high protein, low cal, easy on the stomach and very durable (they don't melt in your backpack). They are very mild tasting--not thrilling, but not objectionable tasting either. But if I want a more delicious bar, I go for a Larabar or a Kind Bar.
Diagnosed in March 2006 by blood test and biopsy. Eleven year old son diagnosed in May 2006. Both gluten-free since diagnosis.

The Susanna (Flagstaff, AZ)

"I GOTTA have more cowbell!."
--The legendary Bruce Dickenson

#7 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:13 PM

I love Lara Bars, but if you look on the label they don't have very much protein. :( Too bad, otherwise I'd eat them more.

Diagnosed with IBS - Fall 2007

Diagnosed with Celiac via blood test (tTg off the charts) - March 18th, 2011

Gluten free as of March 25th, 2011 and going strong!

Positive biopsy April 1st, 2011

Blood test results back down to normal levels November 2012

#8 Sage122

Sage122

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:37 AM

There's a really good protien bar called Quest protien bar. Google it.
They use all natural ingredients. It has 20 grams of protien per bar...they use whey powder to get the protien. They are really chewy it's like caramel. They also have tons of fiber (78% of the fiber you need for the day) and they are gluten free. So try em. They are great!

#9 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

I love Lara bars and Kind bars, both are all natural and have lots of protein, obviously varies with the type you choose. The LaraBar nut rolls are pretty good too, well worth a try! 😄
~**caselynn**~

#10 jenhunter

jenhunter

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:39 PM

there's a brand call Zing bars. they have gluten-free/DF bars as well as bars with whey protein. i get their DF/gluten-free bar and they are AMAZING! here is a link to get more info about them. i buy them at sprouts market and whole foods. http://zingbars.com/flavors-and-types/

#11 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:25 AM

I agree all the bars mentioned in prior posts are very good.. But I have one that I think as many others is tops...... Its called "comfort bar" comes in three flavors the only drawback is you have to order via the mail unless you are in the western states...

Flavors are white chic cherry chip ( favorite) Italian choc orange, & choc almond.... 8 large bare for 21.20 lots of protein... Just amazing....

#12 elocin71

elocin71

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

beware: depending on your sensitivity, these bars probably contain gluten at some level http://www.nugonutri....com/about/faq/

How does NuGo ensure our products are Gluten-Free?
The current proposed FDA standard for labeling a product gluten-free is testing to ensure it contains less than 20ppm of gluten. At NuGo, all bars that say gluten-free on the label have been batch tested to below 10ppm, a stronger standard than the FDA recommends. We manage allergens strictly during manufacturing, and all shared equipment is heat treated and cleaned before use with our gluten-free products in order for us to maintain the highest standard to ensure the products test below 10ppm.

#13 elocin71

elocin71

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

Kind bars look good although i was a little confused by their answer from their FAQ:

5. Are KIND Healthy Snacks gluten-free?
Our products are tested for gluten and meet FDA’s proposed requirement of 20ppm (0.002%) of gluten. Our manufacturing plant is dedicated gluten free and has a strict allergen control program.

if your plant is dedicated gluten-free, would you even need to test? maybe they're just being very thorough.

#14 elocin71

elocin71

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

There's a great company called You Bar ( youbars.com ) in which you can order your own custom bars. This is AWESOME news for anyone with specific nutrition needs--you can choose type of protein, add fiber if you want, pick which fruits or sweeteners or, well, the possiblilities are endless!

a warning for the sensitive, the You bars are made in a facility with gluten: http://www.youbars.com/faqs

I have allergies; can you guarantee that what I order will not contain certain ingredients?
  • You may select the ingredients in your bar, however, your bar may contain traces of soy, wheat, eggs, milk, tree nuts & peanuts because our kitchen also processes items with those ingredients.

#15 elocin71

elocin71

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

There's a really good protien bar called Quest protien bar. Google it.
They use all natural ingredients. It has 20 grams of protien per bar...they use whey powder to get the protien. They are really chewy it's like caramel. They also have tons of fiber (78% of the fiber you need for the day) and they are gluten free. So try em. They are great!

for Quest, i talked to an online customer service agent. i asked them if their bars were processed in a gluten-free facility and they said "our bars are gluten-free". when i reiterated my question, they said "we do not use gluten-containing ingredients in our bars". so Quest is ok i guess?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: