This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Need Help With Snacks

GFreeMO

GFreeMO Proficient

I am getting tired of fruit being my only snack. Are there any cookies or mixes or anything that is gluten, soy, dairy and corn and nut free. Xanthan gum is from corn and guar gum makes me sick. I can't find anything without the gums in it. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I am getting tired of fruit being my only snack. Are there any cookies or mixes or anything that is gluten, soy, dairy and corn and nut free. Xanthan gum is from corn and guar gum makes me sick. I can't find anything without the gums in it. Any suggestions are appreciated!

King Arthur flour is free of those. They have recipes on their site and they talk about making subs.

Living Without magazine has lots of recipes with subs. Have you tried them?

GFreeMO Proficient

King Arthur flour is free of those. They have recipes on their site and they talk about making subs.

Living Without magazine has lots of recipes with subs. Have you tried them?

I have looked at King Arthur before. I didn't see anything without xanthan gum but i'll check again!

I'll have to check out that magazine again. I use to subscribe to it but it ran out.

Thanks

I have looked at King Arthur before. I didn't see anything without xanthan gum but i'll check again!

I'll have to check out that magazine again. I use to subscribe to it but it ran out.

Thanks

Their FLOUR mix will be ok. Their cake, cookie mix won't be.

You don't need gums in cookies - trust me.

Later tonight or tomorrow I'll pm you my chocolate chip cookie recipe. Can you find chips?

What about brownies? I think my brownie recipe will work, too.

GFreeMO Proficient

Later tonight or tomorrow I'll pm you my chocolate chip cookie recipe. Can you find chips?

What about brownies? I think my brownie recipe will work, too.

Thanks! I haven't found any chocolate chips that are dairy and nut free...but that doesn't mean that there are not any! Also, can I use olive oil in the recipes? If so, I would love to have them. ;)

Kelleybean Enthusiast

Enjoy Life chips are dairy, soy, and nut free. I use them all the time - love them!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFreeMO Proficient

Enjoy Life chips are dairy, soy, and nut free. I use them all the time - love them!

Thanks! I'll email them to see if they are corn free. I have to watch corn as carefully as gluten.

Mizzo Enthusiast

If you can have coconut try the website www. Elanaspantry.com she has some Paleo recipes that might work for you.

GFreeMO Proficient

If you can have coconut try the website www. Elanaspantry.com she has some Paleo recipes that might work for you.

Thanks! Coconut gives me hives..Thanks for the suggestion though. Hopefully it will help someone else.

Enjoy LIfe is a no go on corn. Per my corn allergen forum.

I guess I will just have to have leftovers for snacks. I was craving something sweet..I ended up making cream of rice (i make my own by grinding rice in my blender) and put 3 heaping tablespoons of brown sugar on it. It's pretty good.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

How about making your own chocolate chips? This recipe uses butter or coconut oil but I made chocolate for homemade Reese's cups and used palm shortening. is there a solid fat you can use? What about LARD?

Open Original Shared Link

Substitute as needed for the recipe. I really font know how it will work with olive oil, etc. Margarine would be fine. Leave out the nuts.

Brownies:

1 stick butter or equivalent (I reduce this by 1/4 for gluten-free; you may need less if you use a liquid)

1c sugar

2 eggs

4 tbsp cocoa

3/4 c flour

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp vanilla

1/2 c nuts

Seperate and whip egg whites. Set aside.

Mix fat with sugar and egg yolk. Add dry ingredients. Fold in egg nuts then egg whites.

Pour into greased and floured 9x12 pan.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. in an electric oven 325, 335 in Corning ware. There's a similar recipe I have that bakes at 250 for 60 minutes. I'd go low instead of high.

Frosting

1/2 stock melted butter

1 tbsp cocoa

1/2 box powdered sugar

1/2 tsp vanilla

Melt butter and add cocoa. Stir in sugar and vanilla. Add a bit of milk as needed to moisten and blend to desired texture. Frost brownies when cool enough to touch.

Mizzo Enthusiast

I don't know of any boxed mixes that are this limited but there is a website ... jazzyallergyrecipes blogspot .... they may have a recipe or 2 for you.

good luck

lpellegr Collaborator

What about non-sweet things like lunchmeat or pepperoni? Hummus and carrots if you can eat sesame? Refried beans and rice chips? Hard-boiled eggs? Pickled herring? Mashed potatoes? Might sound silly, but all good snacks to tide you over till the next meal. My snacks are often just small quantities of meal food.

Marilyn R Community Regular

I roasted three fat beets, a red onion and a fennel bulb today. I cut them up in large bite size chunks and stuck them on a 2 cookie sheets lined with parchment papaer, drizzled some olive oil and S&P on them, and stuck them in the oven for 35 minutes at 375 degrees. They're the bomb! I like those roasted root veggies on their own at room temp or on a bed of lettuce with goat cheese and balsamic vinegrette for a salad. Veggies always taste better when you roast them, and you can puree them to make them into a dip. (Roasted cauliflower and onion with a bit of olive oil and s&p is over the top!) It's good with crackers (I've made my own, they were a pain, but I couldn't do corn or chips then, or any additives), but the veggie dips are also good with fresh carrot or celery sticks, or radishes.

I like a stick blender for the ease of it. (Same with the parchment paper, let the roasted veggies cool, pick up the edges of the paper and funnel them into a bowl, and whirl away. No mayo, no wierd stuff, just olive oil (or whatever oil that suits you) and roasted veggies. It's surprisingly good. I'm off beans at the moment, but I went through a bean dip phase. The good thing is that the bean dip had protein, and that's what you're prbably craving if you're hungry all the time. You could rinse a can of white beans and whirl them up with roasted veggies. I'm pretty sure that would be good stuffed in celery sticks . If you can do eggs, (hard boiled) that's another option. Hope my suggestions are helpful and you feel better soon.

Maggie Mermaid Apprentice

This isn't a mix but pretty easy to make if you can have pumpkin and eggs. How about this?

Mock Chocolate Cake

1/4 c. canned pumpkin

2 TBSP cocoa powder

1 egg white

2 pkts sugar (or sweetener of choice)

2 drops of vanilla extract

pinch salt

Blend all ingredients together, put in a coffee mug & nuke in microwave for 90 seconds.

If you can tolerate eggs, you can make bite-sized meringues (even with maple syrup as a sweetener) with different flavors. A batch using 2 egg whites makes about 2 cookie sheets worth of bite-sized ones & they keep nicely in an air tight container. Single bite-sized ones fit in the mouth so there's not crumbs flying around when you eat them. :)

Pauliewog Contributor

I recently got hooked on dried sliced mango. They are delicious. Also, my dad just sent me some wasabi flavored seaweed. Sounds strange but they are small pieces almost like a chip. He got them at Trader Joe's. However any Asian market might have something like it. The sesame oil only ones are good too.

GFreeMO Proficient

Thanks everyone for the great ideas!!

Kelleybean Enthusiast

If you want something sweet, I second the recommendation for Elana's Pantry. Are you OK with nuts? She uses mostly almond flour. I make her chocolate chip cookies often and they always come out great. She also has a recipe for brownies using mostly almond butter that might work for you ... I haven't tried it but I read the reviews they were almost 100% positive.

Junior Chef Rookie

Have you tried Chex's gluten free cereal? I'm pretty sure you'd be able to have at least the rice chex. Chexpartymix.com has great recipes that you could make only using rice chex. If you've found pretzels you can have, add some of those. You can also add popcorn, dried fruit, that type of stuff and make your own trail mix.

Gluten free chex has been a lifesaver for me. :)

Kelleybean Enthusiast

I was thinking about the chocolate chip problem and remembered a video that I saw on this website: www.lillianstestkitchen.com. She makes her own chips - melts pure chocolate, adds some agave, spreads it on a cookie sheet and freezes for a few minutes to harden, then cuts it into tiny chunks. An extra step than just opening the bag but I bet it tastes amazing!

• 4 weeks later...
deb445 Rookie

Thanks! I haven't found any chocolate chips that are dairy and nut free...but that doesn't mean that there are not any! ;)

Enjoy Life makes a good chocolate chip, and chocolate nibs. gluten-free/df/nutfree.

Miss Vickie's makes a good potato chip too, for a snack - I tell myself because they're made with sea salt, it's ok, and healthy. :D Rice cakes (with sea salt - ha!)are good bedtime snack for me, now that I have given up my beloved popcorn. Honestly, I miss my popcorn more than a soft baguette!

genieb Newbie

A have a couple of ideas that are variations on fruit -- but they would be something a little different. I make a drink in the blender that is like a slush with fresh or frozen fruit. I use enough water to puree the fruit, then add ice to make it really thick. We like to eat it with a spoon. My favorite combination is peaches and strawberries, but you could use whatever you like.

We also like smoothies. I use almond milk (but any milk substitute will do) and bananas as the base and go from there adding berries sometimes, pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices others and my favorite dark chocolate. I use frozen fruit when I have it and still add ice because we like ours really thick -- like ice cream. I know soy and almond milk would be out for you but if you can tolerate rice or hemp milk you might try those. There is also a product called Dari Free that I think is made from potatoes -- but I haven't tried it.

GFreeMO Proficient

A have a couple of ideas that are variations on fruit -- but they would be something a little different. I make a drink in the blender that is like a slush with fresh or frozen fruit. I use enough water to puree the fruit, then add ice to make it really thick. We like to eat it with a spoon. My favorite combination is peaches and strawberries, but you could use whatever you like.

We also like smoothies. I use almond milk (but any milk substitute will do) and bananas as the base and go from there adding berries sometimes, pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices others and my favorite dark chocolate. I use frozen fruit when I have it and still add ice because we like ours really thick -- like ice cream. I know soy and almond milk would be out for you but if you can tolerate rice or hemp milk you might try those. There is also a product called Dari Free that I think is made from potatoes -- but I haven't tried it.

Thanks for the idea for the blender drink. I just bought a bunch of blueberries and strawberries. I think i'll give it a try. :)

Mom23boys Contributor

Can you have carob chips instead of chocolate? It's been a time since I have checked ingredients but I remember them being fairly "free".

I think you are going to have to work with your own flour mixes. We are running into the same problem being no dairy, no soy, no egg, no this, no that...

I believe "Yummy Earth Organics" may fit your list for sweets. You can get the hard candies or suckers.

Archived