6 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria6102

Victoria6102

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

I got results of a IgG test today which said I am allergic to dairy, including casein, whey, and goats milk. My questions are:
-things that say "dairy free", does that include goat milk free? How can I know if something has goats milk in it?
- the doctor also suggested I go organic....I am very sensitive to lots of things. Does eating organic seem to help anyone?
- can you recommend any gluten free/dairy free/organic/tree nut free foods? What tastes good? I went through trial and error for gluten free so this time I would like to have some input from others to make it easier!:)
-will this ever go away? If I'm off dairy but have some in the future, will I have a worse reaction to it than I do now?

Thank you! I'm feeling kind of upset to have to give up dairy, as Reese's and ice cream were some of my favorite foods. I keep getting the urge to cry but I don't want to have a pity party. :( I'm just starting to feel less upset about not eating gluten, and now it's dairy too. How come some people can eat whatever they want and feel fine but some people like us keep getting foods taken away, and feeling worse, and getting more foods taken away, etc....? I know lots of people are much worse off than I am but I just had to get that out.... I'm just a teen who has a lot expected of her...maybe it's stress causing all of this!!!

Anyway thanks. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mom23boys

Mom23boys

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:13 AM

I got results of a IgG test today which said I am allergic to dairy, including casein, whey, and goats milk. My questions are:
-things that say "dairy free", does that include goat milk free? How can I know if something has goats milk in it?

#1 -- NEVER go by things that SAY "Dairy Free"
"Dairy Free" creamers, "Dairy free" whipped toppings...all have dairy (usually casein) in them.

You are going to have to read the labels. I see very few things in "normal" stores with goats milk. The HFS usually have them marked.
Shellfish free since 1980
Milk free (all forms) since 1991
Feingold in 2003
First gluten-free round 2007
Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

#3 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

#1 -- NEVER go by things that SAY "Dairy Free"
"Dairy Free" creamers, "Dairy free" whipped toppings...all have dairy (usually casein) in them.

You are going to have to read the labels. I see very few things in "normal" stores with goats milk. The HFS usually have them marked.

Actually I think you mean "Non-dairy". Dairy free is usually dairy free. Non-dairy is NOT dairy free.

Stick which whole food. We are dairy, egg, gluten, most soy, all nut and a few other free. Is there something specific you are looking for maybe that would narrow the search for you?

Also, I haven't seen anything mainstream with goats milk in it. FWIW, I know you aren't talking about a true allergy but a sensitivity, but people who have IgE allergies to cow milk something like 90+% of the time can not tolerate goat (or any other mammal) milk.

#4 Victoria6102

Victoria6102

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

Oh, I was told it was an allergy and not an intolerance. And I was told allergies can manifest themselves through upset stomachs and headaches(which is what I have) not just hives or swelled up throat. Is this true? sorry, all the terms confuse me lol!

#5 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

There are several kinds of immunity. Those responsible for allergies (anaphylactic) are IgE. What you were tested for was IgG (from what I read in the other thread). IgG mediated issues (usually GI in manifestation) are not allergies. They involve immunity but aren't considered an allergy by mainstream Doctors (or those who deal with them too).

#6 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:18 PM

Oh, I was told it was an allergy and not an intolerance. And I was told allergies can manifest themselves through upset stomachs and headaches(which is what I have) not just hives or swelled up throat. Is this true? sorry, all the terms confuse me lol!

I was told that too but when you say that you piss off some people who have IgE allergies. I was actually driven off of an allergy forum by some of those people. Now I call it an intolerance.

Daiya makes a good dairy free cheese if you can tolerate peas.

#7 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:30 AM

Intolerances are really a big issue and not something to mess with. I think the reason for differentiating is that an intolerance isn't going to kill you were an allergy can. Because that's a pretty big difference, using the proper terms does become an issue.

Again, they are both serious and the treatment is the same but the ramification of ingesting are totally different! Sorry you got chased off an allergy forum Juliebove.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: