48 replies to this topic

#16 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:25 AM

Good point Squirming! I have long hair...and wear a braid...but hadn't thought of the dust that will get in my hair. I will put it up and wear a mask and a shower cap! How about that! I guess I won't be flirting with any construction workers Monday! Won't I be cute? hey! Maybe Captaincrab?

Captaincrab ...... soooo funny girl!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

You know why I thought of covering the hair? Yup, me too, down past my derriere. And I was going to say shower cap but if it's hot where you are you could end up with steambath head or a hot head one --- or BOTH!Posted ImagePosted Image

And I was thinking about a bandanna over your mouth & nose UNDERNEATH the mask. Double protection? Those masks don't always fit tight but the cloth you can pull tight. Might be uncomfortable but better than itching uncomfortable.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:28 AM

:lol: Great minds again, dearie! Are you reading my mind somehow? :unsure: you are, aren't you?.... Scary woman!

I had emailed her earlier with this same thought. I know EatMeat has pretty hair down right down to her butt!! I suggested a mask from the drug store, but I also know if she gets even a whiff of gluten, she gets DH sores :( ....

We shall all keep our fingers crossed!!

Meatie, my friend....be VERY careful!! Maybe tell her majesty :) you cannot clean up after that kind of work?
Keep us posted, sweetie.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image It is getting a bit scary isn't it? Posted ImagePosted Image Nahhhhhhhh.
I've got everything I can think of to cross crossed for her.Posted ImageIncluding my eyes.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#18 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

You know why I thought of covering the hair? Yup, me too, down past my derriere.

well, Meatie is about your size too. :unsure:

you two tiny but mighty girls!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#19 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

I've got everything I can think of to cross crossed for her.Posted ImageIncluding my eyes.

My Ma used to screech, "don't do that! They get stuck that way."

No, they didn't.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#20 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:40 AM

My Ma is used to screech, "don't do that! They get stuck that way."

No, they didn't.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image I needed a laugh today. I'm so far behind it ain't even funny!

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#21 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

I needed a laugh today. I'm so far behind it ain't even funny!

I live to serve. :lol:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#22 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

Oh you guys are the best! I appreciate your comments, information, and sense of humor...all of you. And Squirming...thank you so much for getting my joke about Captaincrab! I cringed after I posted it...but once it is sent...it is there forever. :rolleyes:

Ok, so I was awake and sleepless until 3 AM thinking about this issue. DH is so miserable that I just didn't know if I could do it. So then I overslept and was late to work!! OMG!! I was supposed to cover everything with dropcloths before they got started! I got there and luckily they hadn't started cutting. I braided my hair and put it up. I wore a dust mask all day. I ate outside. I only drank from a water bottle outside. The lady I work for is very understanding so she said I should stay out of the actual room they were working in. When they changed rooms so did I. The workmen were great! And one of them even flirted with me in spite of my face mask! haha! They cleaned up after themselves and were very careful to keep it contained. But the dust is in the air so we will see. They even cut the sheetrock outside and then brought it in for their patches.

I don't think I got any gluten...at least I don't think so yet. But the reaction can set in a few days later as Y'all know. Apparently they will be doing this all week. But I only have to work tomorrow and then I have 2 full days off. I don't wanna be sick those days off.

Yes, I weigh 100 pounds right now so I cannot afford to lose any more weight in a glutening. When I started this whole thing by finding you guys here on Celiac.com I was a very fat depressed and anxious woman. In the last year an a half I am entirely transformed. From almost 200 lbs to 100 pounds. I don't really believe it myself. Sometimes I think I'm starting to look like a "Celiac" but I'm not really worried about the weight because I have good muscle tone and my energy is fantastic. I think Paleo made all the difference in the world for my recovery.

Thanks all of you for your support. I will wear a bandana over my mouth tomorrow because the dust mask is kinda loose ya know. Thanks for that tip.

If I survive tomorrow without getting glutened then I am going to go out to eat for my Birthday. I have only eaten out once in the last year because I was determined to heal my DH. I'm eating a big fat steak at the Outback and I can hear the calling of a Chocolate Thunder from Down Under to celebrate being 49 and just starting to live my life and feel really good for the first time in 10 years.

Thanks for everything...You guys are my family.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#23 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

I cringed after I posted it...but once it is sent...it is there forever. :rolleyes:

Not really, some of us know how to push magic buttons. :lol: and you can always edit (up to 48 hours I think)

We are a special family here, sweetie. :wub:

Happy BIRTHDAY!! You're a phoenix. Remember what I told you, you saved your own life and your son's too. You're a Warrior princess, too-- and don't you ever forget it. ;)
xxoo IH

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#24 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

Oh you guys are the best! I appreciate your comments, information, and sense of humor...all of you. And Squirming...thank you so much for getting my joke about Captaincrab! I cringed after I posted it...but once it is sent...it is there forever. :rolleyes:

Ok, so I was awake and sleepless until 3 AM thinking about this issue. DH is so miserable that I just didn't know if I could do it. So then I overslept and was late to work!! OMG!! I was supposed to cover everything with dropcloths before they got started! I got there and luckily they hadn't started cutting. I braided my hair and put it up. I wore a dust mask all day. I ate outside. I only drank from a water bottle outside. The lady I work for is very understanding so she said I should stay out of the actual room they were working in. When they changed rooms so did I. The workmen were great! And one of them even flirted with me in spite of my face mask! haha! They cleaned up after themselves and were very careful to keep it contained. But the dust is in the air so we will see. They even cut the sheetrock outside and then brought it in for their patches.

I don't think I got any gluten...at least I don't think so yet. But the reaction can set in a few days later as Y'all know. Apparently they will be doing this all week. But I only have to work tomorrow and then I have 2 full days off. I don't wanna be sick those days off.

Yes, I weigh 100 pounds right now so I cannot afford to lose any more weight in a glutening. When I started this whole thing by finding you guys here on Celiac.com I was a very fat depressed and anxious woman. In the last year an a half I am entirely transformed. From almost 200 lbs to 100 pounds. I don't really believe it myself. Sometimes I think I'm starting to look like a "Celiac" but I'm not really worried about the weight because I have good muscle tone and my energy is fantastic. I think Paleo made all the difference in the world for my recovery.

Thanks all of you for your support. I will wear a bandana over my mouth tomorrow because the dust mask is kinda loose ya know. Thanks for that tip.

If I survive tomorrow without getting glutened then I am going to go out to eat for my Birthday. I have only eaten out once in the last year because I was determined to heal my DH. I'm eating a big fat steak at the Outback and I can hear the calling of a Chocolate Thunder from Down Under to celebrate being 49 and just starting to live my life and feel really good for the first time in 10 years.

As to your second line about your joke.... No, you can always quickly go back & edit it! And if you don't think of that there's always IH to make the magic happen. (Pssstttt.... I think she likes to think she's a leprechaun Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image)

The drywall guys sound wonderful! I've been thinking about that for when we get our house built. Now with hubs having dh we are both hornswaggled for overseeing the drywall guys. But we shall figure it out & hopefully get as good a crew as you are dealing with. And if the protections you used work then we will employ the same.Posted Image

You are responsible for your transformation --- YOU! Don't ever forget that --- never ever!

Have a very happy birthday dinner & I hope you get so full you're about to pop but this time not from gluten but b/c you just plain ate too much.

We are all very fortunate to have found this site! I'm thanking my lucky stars for that.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#25 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

Please refresh me.....there is lot of information that passes by this road. ;)

Has there been supportive evidence that drywall contains gluten? I'm not sure? Who has gone down that road?
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#26 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

Lisa, You have to look for it on these links but yes, wheat starch as well as corn starch is used in making drywall. One may not be able to discern which is used in what but it's certainly being utilized.
http://oklahoma4h.ok...acts/wheat.html

http://www.alibaba.c...ard-starch.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starch

http://www.adm.com/e...es/default.aspx

http://www.commonfir...eendetails.html

This one is about using wheat starch in concrete:
http://www.ars.usda....an97/starch.pdf

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#27 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,744 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:28 AM

Lisa, You have to look for it on these links but yes, wheat starch as well as corn starch is used in making drywall. One may not be able to discern which is used in what but it's certainly being utilized.
http://oklahoma4h.ok...acts/wheat.html

http://www.alibaba.c...ard-starch.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starch

http://www.adm.com/e...es/default.aspx

http://www.commonfir...eendetails.html

This one is about using wheat starch in concrete:
http://www.ars.usda....an97/starch.pdf

Thanks for providing those links. The NIH one I posted earlier is also a good one but not all inclusive. It isn't just the drywall, some of those are safe, but also the drywall mud. In addition many wallpapers use 'non-toxic' wheat paste as an adhesive. The OP was right to be concerned. One of the worst glutenings I had post-diagnosis was after doing drywall work in the shop I had back then. That did lead me to do a bit of research into it and that was how I discovered the NIH site.
Keeping my fingers crossed that the OP is able to get through the work without getting 'got'.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#28 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:15 AM

Just to add to the discussion :P

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10192194

CONCLUSION:

Wheat starch-based gluten-free flour products were not harmful in the treatment of coeliac disease and dermatitis herpetiformis

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#29 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:46 AM

(Pssstttt.... I think she likes to think she's a leprechaun

Gasp! leprechaun? those old cronies?! bah!!

My pic is of Queen Maeve, the magnificent Warrior Queen of the Faeries.

(and that is your Celtic legend mini-lesson for the day....) :)

P.S.

(and she would also avoid dry wall and wheat starch).

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#30 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,744 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:08 AM

Just to add to the discussion :P

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10192194

CONCLUSION:

Wheat starch-based gluten-free flour products were not harmful in the treatment of coeliac disease and dermatitis herpetiformis

Well I will just have to run right out and get me some Codex Wheat starch. Nice to know based on this study of abut 50 people I can eat it with no damage. Guess my reaction to drywall mud and wallpaper paste and our European members reactions to Codex were all in our heads.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: