48 replies to this topic

#46 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:50 AM

Avoid places where drywall is being installed. If you need to have work done on your house, have someone else do it and stay away until the work site's been thoroughly cleaned up. Don't use ready-made spackling putty or compound, either, since most are wheat-based.

Great. We had a slab leak last month and drywall opened up in several rooms while they rerouted the pipes. I thought the three days of jack hammering just took it's toll. The insurance company delayed and I've been living in my house with drywall everywhere. It was built in '81. I kept waiting to clean it up until after the work was complete and there is still tile to lay!

At the same time, I'm handling enough stress to kill a horse (life and death issues) and have begun to think this lingering reaction to dairy is stress taking it's toll. I feel like I'm drowning. I'm not happy about this drywall revelation :/. No wonder my reintroduction of intolerant foods have all gone south. My poor body.
Last glutening: 12/28/13 (long time FOR ME!)
April 2014: no more reintroducing foods, not rocking the boat, no studying (except during insomnia)
March 2014: Reintroducing intolerant foods. Yolks & banana are a "no". Dairy NO
Year 2: Mental clarity improving. Hello to normalcy.
October 2013: Functional Medicine doc ref to cardiologist for possible sick sinus syndrome (deadline May)
September 2013: 55+ food intolerances, mercury poisoning, sIgA 50, leaky gut, adrenal fatigue, hormone disruption, ferritin 7, low Vit D, low Vit B6
January2013: Dairy-Free, Soy-free
November 2012: Gluten-Free
Year 1: Migraines resolved, OCD diminished, Change in skin texture, EyeBrows lifting & eyes bigger, Better memory, Better cognitive function, Better problem-solving capabilities, Lower anxiety level, Better outlook, Arrhythmia reduced, hope

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:36 PM

Great. We had a slab leak last month and drywall opened up in several rooms while they rerouted the pipes. I thought the three days of jack hammering just took it's toll. The insurance company delayed and I've been living in my house with drywall everywhere. It was built in '81. I kept waiting to clean it up until after the work was complete and there is still tile to lay!

At the same time, I'm handling enough stress to kill a horse (life and death issues) and have begun to think this lingering reaction to dairy is stress taking it's toll. I feel like I'm drowning. I'm not happy about this drywall revelation :/. No wonder my reintroduction of intolerant foods have all gone south. My poor body.

Ok, just to be clear...this small portion that you have highlighted here?.Those are not my words, okay, but part of a quote from ONE study from one article from a post nearly 2 years ago.

If it helps calm your fears, I have had drywall repairs done in my home the last few weeks and nothing has happened to me. 

IrishHeart, on 28 Apr 2012 - 9:44 PM, said:snapback.png

Avoid places where drywall is being installed. If you need to have work done on your house, have someone else do it and stay away until the work site's been thoroughly cleaned up. Don't use ready-made spackling putty or compound, either, since most are wheat-based.

:)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#48 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,148 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:50 PM

Drywall or gypsum board is mainly gypsum ( a ground up rock) and glue. There is a slight chance 1 brand might use a small amount of wheat starch in it but it's not likely nor plentiful. I wouldn't eat it or anything with dust on it - but I doubt most people would. I think I would worry more about getting the wall finished and kicking the insurance companies butt than I would about wheat that probably isn't there.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#49 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:46 PM

If it helps calm your fears, I have had drywall repairs done in my home the last few weeks and nothing has happened to me. 

Drywall or gypsum board is mainly gypsum ( a ground up rock) and glue. There is a slight chance 1 brand might use a small amount of wheat starch in it but it's not likely nor plentiful. I wouldn't eat it or anything with dust on it - but I doubt most people would. I think I would worry more about getting the wall finished and kicking the insurance companies butt than I would about wheat that probably isn't there.

Thanks and good to know! Oddly, it comes up on about.com as well and that's a source I've come to trust. The insurance company has been called and the ball is back in our court.

I'm under a great amount of stress and think this is, most likely, the reason I feel terrible.
Last glutening: 12/28/13 (long time FOR ME!)
April 2014: no more reintroducing foods, not rocking the boat, no studying (except during insomnia)
March 2014: Reintroducing intolerant foods. Yolks & banana are a "no". Dairy NO
Year 2: Mental clarity improving. Hello to normalcy.
October 2013: Functional Medicine doc ref to cardiologist for possible sick sinus syndrome (deadline May)
September 2013: 55+ food intolerances, mercury poisoning, sIgA 50, leaky gut, adrenal fatigue, hormone disruption, ferritin 7, low Vit D, low Vit B6
January2013: Dairy-Free, Soy-free
November 2012: Gluten-Free
Year 1: Migraines resolved, OCD diminished, Change in skin texture, EyeBrows lifting & eyes bigger, Better memory, Better cognitive function, Better problem-solving capabilities, Lower anxiety level, Better outlook, Arrhythmia reduced, hope

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: