Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gluten Like Reaction To Sorghum?

20 posts in this topic

Anyone have a gluten like reaction to sorghum? I posted earlier this week about getting bad gas from Pamela's bread mix. I've had other Pamela's products and other gluten-free breads and the only ingredient that seemed different was that sorghum was the main ingredient. Once I stopped eating the bread the gas stopped. Well I ate the bread for four days and by day 4 a small canker sore appeared. It was teeny tiny and went away the day after I stopped the bread. I also had a flare up of cystic acne on my forehead which also happened a few weeks ago when I did a 7 day gluten challenge and which cleared once gluten-free again.

So is it possible to have a gluten like reaction to sorghum? Nothing else in my diet was different this week. And I didnt get the wicked bloating or epigastric pain that I would if I had been actually glistened.

Ads by Google:

Anyone have a gluten like reaction to sorghum? I posted earlier this week about getting bad gas from Pamela's bread mix. I've had other Pamela's products and other gluten-free breads and the only ingredient that seemed different was that sorghum was the main ingredient. Once I stopped eating the bread the gas stopped. Well I ate the bread for four days and by day 4 a small canker sore appeared. It was teeny tiny and went away the day after I stopped the bread. I also had a flare up of cystic acne on my forehead which also happened a few weeks ago when I did a 7 day gluten challenge and which cleared once gluten-free again.

So is it possible to have a gluten like reaction to sorghum? Nothing else in my diet was different this week. And I didnt get the wicked bloating or epigastric pain that I would if I had been actually glistened.

I had a bad reaction to cookies made with a flour blend that contained sorghum. I thought maybe the sorghum had cc? The other flours in the blend were ones I had eaten without a problem many times. I still wonder if I can't tolerate sorghum..or if it was cc? :blink:

Celiacs can have or develop reactions/sensitivities/allergies to anything at any time. It's more than possible it was the sorghum & quite likely. So now you know to avoid it.

I recently discovered the same thing with Quinoa for myself. I felt like I had been glutened & my dh rash flared. I know there was no cc. I quit the Quinoa & cleared right up. So Quinoa is off my list.

Sometimes you can get those foods back but you have to try them way farther down the line in say 6 months, a year or so.

I've had issues with the Pamela's flours, too! I've only eaten the bread flour and pancake mix both of which bothered me. (the pancake mix does not have sorghum but it does have buttermilk and milk is definitely an issue for me).

Glad to know I'm not alone. I guess I'll look at the bright side that my reactions were clear enough to know that something was bothering me.

I bought the gluten-free king arther bread mix today. No sorghum so well see how I tolerate this one. I'll use the same mixer and pan. If its ok then I'll know it's something in the Pamela's mix that doesn't agree with me.

Another thing to think about is xanthan gum. A lot of people develop allergy/sensitivity to xanthan gum after a certain time of exposure, and it can make you feel sick, even make you feel like you might have been "glutened".

Xanthan gum is used in most commercial gluten-free foods and mixes, though some are using guar gum which has a lower sensitivity threshold I think.

Check out this article on celiac.com.

For home baking, guar gum is a good substitute for xanthan gum. I've also found recipes that use pectin, gelatin, even psyllium seed for adding "body" to baked goods.

Thanks for that info. I'll keep an eye on the xantham.

I am very sensitive so I buy my grains whole and sort and wash them. I have come across gluten grains as well as corn in my sorghum. I contacted the supplier and they used shared harvesting equipment. They said that they spend two days taking the harvester apart and cleaning it, and they use the first bit for animal feed. I guess they still managed to miss some. It must be really hard on farmers to try to provide grains free from cc.

So my gas issue has returned today unfortunately. I made the King Arthur gluten-free bread yesterday and had a sandwich for breakfast. Just as last week with the Pamela's I've developed very smelly gas about 6hrs after eating it. I compared ingredients and they have tapioca flour and xanthan gum in common. However, I looked at the Udi's ingredients, which I've eaten w/out issue, and that also contains those ingredients. I wonder if it is something with it being fresh baked vs frozen and toasted (Udi's) that is making a difference? I'm really baffled as to why I'm reacting to these 2 different homemade breads but not store bought frozen kind.

So today I had the same thing I had for lunch yesterday (a turkey sand on gluten-free panini from a local gluten-free bakery) and so far have had no issues. So it is definitely the King Arthur bread I had for breakfast yesterday and again, that reaction was identical to the reaction I had to the Pamela's bread I baked last week. The bread was made in my Kitchen Aid mixer (stainless steel bowl with stainless steel paddle) and baked in the same metal bread/loaf pan. I did use Crisco to lightly grease the pan. I don't believe I have an issue with soy (the main ingredient of Crisco) plus I don't think there'd be enough Crisco on the side/crust of the bread to cause a reaction.

Pamela's Sorghum Flour, Tapioca Flour, Sweet Rice Flour, Brown Rice Flour, Organic Natural Evaporated Cane Sugar, Chicory Root, White Rice Flour, Millet Flour, Honey and Molasses; Rice Bran, Sea Salt, Xanthan Gum, Yeast Packet.

King Arthur's : Specialty flour blend (rice flour, tapioca starch), tapioca starch, potato starch, sugar, emulsifier (rice starch, polyglycerol esters of fatty acids, mono- and diglycerides of fatty acids), salt, xanthan gum, dry yeast, yeast, sorbitan monostearate, ascorbic acid

Udi's :INGREDIENTS: UDI

I like Perky's Crunchy Flax,(it is right there in the ingredients Whole Sorghum Flour)when I eat it, I have a reaction. I feel tired, and achy and very gassy. Not quite as bad as gluten, but I feel it.

I am so glad I read your post; I have been crazy trying to figure it out, now it makes sense. Thank God for this Forum,and you for posting this topic.

BDW Xanthan Gum,gets me the same.

-Miriam

Hi, I'm so new to being aware of food sensitivities that I'm still in a fog. Does anyone know if a reaction could feel like 1) your face is hot (on fire) yet no large rash, just a little red in cheeks. 2) your eyelids feel full or swollen - yet don't look too crazy. 3) immediate headache. My stomach doesn't seem bothered like I've read others reactions, Mine complaint would be the opposite constipation? Any suggestions

Everyone can have different symptom for reactions.  (It sounds like a reaction to me.)  What exact reaction would have to be diagnosed by a doctor.

We really support each other for gluten free information, but generally if something bothers you don't eat it.  Sorghum is gluten free, but some people don't tolerate it well.

You can do a challenge in the future to see if you react the same way.  You can try to build up a tolerance by introducing small amounts slowly adding more.  I f anything seemed like an "allergic reaction" getting hot and swelling, don't challenge or try and build up a tolerance.

this sounds very much like me to an allergic reaction, though perhaps a delayed one. On that list of ingredients are four which are corn, and two others derived from corn. I was told at a world-famous (in MN, starts with "M") that NO grains whatsoever were safe for me. It sounds wretched, but isn't really. I am genetically sensitive to gluten, but am celiac in addition. The combo is very hard to take at my late age (50s). But giving up wheat was easy, giving up corn isn't a matter of will, but of thoroughness! It is in everything and in so many cases isn't even required to be disclosed! I was having reactions to grassfed ground beef and found out that it is the grassfeeding of the animal is all for naught if it is to be ground, as the USDA requires the meat scraps to be sprayed with lactic acid or ascorbic acid and these are both corn derived.

Much to my shock, after even having my medications custom compounded without any corn derivatives was that my brain fog lifted, my anger outbursts evaporated, my breakouts went away (yes, I had acne even in my 50s!!) and so many other physical issues simply were gone. It was just as the immunologist at M*** had said. There were no "safe" grains for me. My cardiac CRP was the big shocker--it had been over 10, very very bad. Only two months after the medications were changed, it went down--bam!--to less than ONE. So yes, all of your symptoms can be explained by the grain mix, possibly. Very possibly.

I have been wondering about sorghum as I have had similar reactions after using the Costco gluten free flour mix which has had sorghum.  Last night I had 2 Redbridge beers which a sorghum beer and I had a terrible reaction - severe bloating, acid stomach, and nausea.  I now know that Sorghum is off my list  - it was just like my gluten reaction years ago.

I just tried a bread that used sorghum as one of its ingredients the other day too. It was a trial as well.  Yes it makes a big reaction. ONLY bread made of rice,  coconut flour, almond flour is a safe thing for me. It seems that rice it the ONLY grain I do not have a reaction to and even then, sometimes it does not sit well. I have gotten some great grain free bread recipes from googling grain free bread.

Bit of a thought, try dropping both, getting the individual ingredients by themselves and try using just a teaspoon of one. Might be nasty and bland but would help figure out what it is that is bothering you. It could just be a one uses the offending ingredient in a higher concentration then the others or has something that off sets it. Oddly when you mentioned the udi, KF blend homemade and the other homemade. I thought of something, it might be the yeast. The UDI one is frozen after baking this could lower the yeast effect. I myself can't have any kind of yeast or I get extremely bloated and gassy to the point of visually having a distended gut. Just a thought for helping you through your process of elimination.

Just had a gluten free beer here in the UK called St Peter's Brewery gluten-free and woke up aching all over. It's a sorghum-based beer and it has resulted in a swollen throat and glands. Will not be doing that again. I think my body definitely treated it like gluten. 

Yeah, I empathize. I'm having reactions to sorghum, rice, and quinoa. I've decided that grains just aren't worth the aggravation anymore and have gone completely paleo. 

Yeah, I empathize. I'm having reactions to sorghum, rice, and quinoa. I've decided that grains just aren't worth the aggravation anymore and have gone completely paleo. 

Welcome to the forum Kmogi!

😄