11 replies to this topic

#1 Mnicole1981

Mnicole1981

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

Is this a variation of it? For some time last year, I had the clustered, blistery bumps that started out as red patches on my outer elbow and arm. I assumed then that I was just having an allergic reaction to body wash I was using. It was also all over my stomach. Sorry they are so big.

Bend of elbow:
Posted Image

Bend of knee:
Posted Image
gluten-gree as of May 9, 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

Mine is redder and drier looking I think, for the most part. You didn't mention if it's itchy or burning, I think that's one of the symptoms that it has in common, even if it doesn't look exactly like some of the others do.
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#3 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

I have a patch like that...kind of barely off-colored and rough? Doesn't itch much (comparatively speaking)?

I call it my warning patch for iodine. Always pops up after sushi. It's in the same place I had much worse but doesn't ever get big like the others.

For me, I judge it on how it acts. Does it react to gluten?
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#4 Mnicole1981

Mnicole1981

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:17 PM

It burned when it started, now it just itches. Constantly, actually.

#5 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

Well, DH does that. Have you noticed a reaction to gluten? What about high iodone foods or high salicylates?

If you aren't familiar with those, peruse the DH threads.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#6 Mnicole1981

Mnicole1981

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

I had graham crackers about two hours ago and they are itching.

#7 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

Gluten graham crackers? Or gluten-free graham crackers?
Do you think you may have celiac disease? Do you have any GI issues? Do you have diabetes? Do you have any thyroid problems? Does any one in your family have any of these things? Does anyone in your family have any auto immune disorders?

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#8 Mnicole1981

Mnicole1981

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

Gluten graham cra

#9 Mnicole1981

Mnicole1981

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

Gluten graham crackers? Or gluten-free graham crackers?
Do you think you may have celiac disease? Do you have any GI issues? Do you have diabetes? Do you have any thyroid problems? Does any one in your family have any of these things? Does anyone in your family have any auto immune disorders?

Gluten graham crackers. I think I might. Last week, I went to the ER because my upper abdomen felt like it was on fire. The ER doctor said I was constipated. Advised I take Miralax once per hour until I had a bowel movement. I continued to eat gluten foods and still felt the same. I have GERD, a hernia, asthma, iron-deficiency anemia. I am not sure about my thyroid. Never been tested. My mother has IBS and a first cousin has Crohn's, diabetes, and sickle-cell trait. I have had the above rashes for awhile.

#10 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

Well, with all that in your pocket I'd say it's a good chance you have celiac disease or are at the very least gluten intolerant.

So the question is, where do you want to go from here? Do you want to get an official dx? Because you will have to be actively consuming gluten for the tests & that includes the dh biopsy.
If you do a trial going gluten-free & then decide to get an official dx, it is more than possible that when you go back on gluten for the tests the gluten will hit you much harder than if you keep consuming it. And for the tests you're supposed to be eating something like the equivalent of 2 (or maybe 4) slices of bread per day for at least 2 months.

And for what I think of your rash --- the photos aren't great --- having said that; it could be dh or a "precursor" to dh IMHO --- the itching tells a tale.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#11 Mnicole1981

Mnicole1981

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

Well, with all that in your pocket I'd say it's a good chance you have celiac disease or are at the very least gluten intolerant.

So the question is, where do you want to go from here? Do you want to get an official dx? Because you will have to be actively consuming gluten for the tests & that includes the dh biopsy.
If you do a trial going gluten-free & then decide to get an official dx, it is more than possible that when you go back on gluten for the tests the gluten will hit you much harder than if you keep consuming it. And for the tests you're supposed to be eating something like the equivalent of 2 (or maybe 4) slices of bread per day for at least 2 months.

And for what I think of your rash --- the photos aren't great --- having said that; it could be dh or a "precursor" to dh IMHO --- the itching tells a tale.

I had the blood test on Friday and I am scheduled for an EGD and colonoscopy on Thursday. I do want the diagnosis. I haven't been eating much at all, so I am not sure it would be positive. I was eating whole wheat deli thins, whole wheat tortillas, whole wheat English muffins, Honey Nut Cheerios and Kashi Heart to Heart cereal, Sunchips, and multigrain chips a lot in the last two months, including when I got real sick at the beginning of this month.

#12 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

I had the blood test on Friday and I am scheduled for an EGD and colonoscopy on Thursday. I do want the diagnosis. I haven't been eating much at all, so I am not sure it would be positive. I was eating whole wheat deli thins, whole wheat tortillas, whole wheat English muffins, Honey Nut Cheerios and Kashi Heart to Heart cereal, Sunchips, and multigrain chips a lot in the last two months, including when I got real sick at the beginning of this month.

Excellent! You may have posted this elsewhere & I missed it. Been busy getting my hubs to go gluten-free --- yep --- dh rash.

Here's hoping you get a firm diagnosis. And be sure & get a copy of the test results & post them. There are those on the forum who can read those things real well. And we're a nosy bunch.Posted Image
Ask any questions any time. some extremely knowledgeable people here.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: