This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Question About Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Mnicole1981

Mnicole1981 Enthusiast

Is this a variation of it? For some time last year, I had the clustered, blistery bumps that started out as red patches on my outer elbow and arm. I assumed then that I was just having an allergic reaction to body wash I was using. It was also all over my stomach. Sorry they are so big.

Bend of elbow:

dermatitis1.webp

Bend of knee:

dermatitis2.webp

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ciamarie Rookie

Mine is redder and drier looking I think, for the most part. You didn't mention if it's itchy or burning, I think that's one of the symptoms that it has in common, even if it doesn't look exactly like some of the others do.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I have a patch like that...kind of barely off-colored and rough? Doesn't itch much (comparatively speaking)?

I call it my warning patch for iodine. Always pops up after sushi. It's in the same place I had much worse but doesn't ever get big like the others.

For me, I judge it on how it acts. Does it react to gluten?

Mnicole1981 Enthusiast

It burned when it started, now it just itches. Constantly, actually.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Well, DH does that. Have you noticed a reaction to gluten? What about high iodone foods or high salicylates?

If you aren't familiar with those, peruse the DH threads.

Mnicole1981 Enthusiast

I had graham crackers about two hours ago and they are itching.

squirmingitch Veteran

Gluten graham crackers? Or gluten-free graham crackers?

Do you think you may have celiac disease? Do you have any GI issues? Do you have diabetes? Do you have any thyroid problems? Does any one in your family have any of these things? Does anyone in your family have any auto immune disorders?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mnicole1981 Enthusiast

Gluten graham cra

Mnicole1981 Enthusiast

Gluten graham crackers? Or gluten-free graham crackers?

Do you think you may have celiac disease? Do you have any GI issues? Do you have diabetes? Do you have any thyroid problems? Does any one in your family have any of these things? Does anyone in your family have any auto immune disorders?

Gluten graham crackers. I think I might. Last week, I went to the ER because my upper abdomen felt like it was on fire. The ER doctor said I was constipated. Advised I take Miralax once per hour until I had a bowel movement. I continued to eat gluten foods and still felt the same. I have GERD, a hernia, asthma, iron-deficiency anemia. I am not sure about my thyroid. Never been tested. My mother has IBS and a first cousin has Crohn's, diabetes, and sickle-cell trait. I have had the above rashes for awhile.

squirmingitch Veteran

Well, with all that in your pocket I'd say it's a good chance you have celiac disease or are at the very least gluten intolerant.

So the question is, where do you want to go from here? Do you want to get an official dx? Because you will have to be actively consuming gluten for the tests & that includes the dh biopsy.

If you do a trial going gluten-free & then decide to get an official dx, it is more than possible that when you go back on gluten for the tests the gluten will hit you much harder than if you keep consuming it. And for the tests you're supposed to be eating something like the equivalent of 2 (or maybe 4) slices of bread per day for at least 2 months.

And for what I think of your rash --- the photos aren't great --- having said that; it could be dh or a "precursor" to dh IMHO --- the itching tells a tale.

Mnicole1981 Enthusiast

Well, with all that in your pocket I'd say it's a good chance you have celiac disease or are at the very least gluten intolerant.

So the question is, where do you want to go from here? Do you want to get an official dx? Because you will have to be actively consuming gluten for the tests & that includes the dh biopsy.

If you do a trial going gluten-free & then decide to get an official dx, it is more than possible that when you go back on gluten for the tests the gluten will hit you much harder than if you keep consuming it. And for the tests you're supposed to be eating something like the equivalent of 2 (or maybe 4) slices of bread per day for at least 2 months.

And for what I think of your rash --- the photos aren't great --- having said that; it could be dh or a "precursor" to dh IMHO --- the itching tells a tale.

I had the blood test on Friday and I am scheduled for an EGD and colonoscopy on Thursday. I do want the diagnosis. I haven't been eating much at all, so I am not sure it would be positive. I was eating whole wheat deli thins, whole wheat tortillas, whole wheat English muffins, Honey Nut Cheerios and Kashi Heart to Heart cereal, Sunchips, and multigrain chips a lot in the last two months, including when I got real sick at the beginning of this month.

squirmingitch Veteran

I had the blood test on Friday and I am scheduled for an EGD and colonoscopy on Thursday. I do want the diagnosis. I haven't been eating much at all, so I am not sure it would be positive. I was eating whole wheat deli thins, whole wheat tortillas, whole wheat English muffins, Honey Nut Cheerios and Kashi Heart to Heart cereal, Sunchips, and multigrain chips a lot in the last two months, including when I got real sick at the beginning of this month.

Excellent! You may have posted this elsewhere & I missed it. Been busy getting my hubs to go gluten-free --- yep --- dh rash.

Here's hoping you get a firm diagnosis. And be sure & get a copy of the test results & post them. There are those on the forum who can read those things real well. And we're a nosy bunch.laugh.gif

Ask any questions any time. some extremely knowledgeable people here.

Archived