This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Seasonal Allergies Better?!?!?

BabsV

BabsV Enthusiast

So, now that it has finally warmed up and EVERYTHING is in bloom -- seriously, it is as if the plants all just exploded -- there is pollen everywhere. You can see it as a film coating the porch, the cars, the fence, etc. For the last couple of years this has absolutely killed me...stuffy head, cough, scratchy eyes, setting off my dust allergy (bronchial spasms), etc. But strangely enough I noticed after we went for a short hike in the woods yesterday I didn't have any problem other than my eyes feeling a bit scratchy.

Anyone else have an improvement in seasonal allergies after going gluten-free? Or is my body just so worn out at this point it doesn't have the energy to react! :o

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

So, now that it has finally warmed up and EVERYTHING is in bloom -- seriously, it is as if the plants all just exploded -- there is pollen everywhere. You can see it as a film coating the porch, the cars, the fence, etc. For the last couple of years this has absolutely killed me...stuffy head, cough, scratchy eyes, setting off my dust allergy (bronchial spasms), etc. But strangely enough I noticed after we went for a short hike in the woods yesterday I didn't have any problem other than my eyes feeling a bit scratchy.

Anyone else have an improvement in seasonal allergies after going gluten-free? Or is my body just so worn out at this point it doesn't have the energy to react! :o

It's pretty common for environmental allergies to settle down gluten-free. A wonderful side effect of gluten-free!

Last year the pollen wasn't as bad here and I had to use my inhaler several times.(I hadn't been DXed yet) This year..a banner year for high pollen..and I'm doing fine.

I've been getting allergy shots for 3 years. I wonder if I may be able to stop those soon?

IrishHeart Veteran

I noticed a drastic reduction in seasonal and environmental allergies.

Last summer, the ragweed did not bother me one bit. I'll let you know after the maples bloom this month if I am totally "cured". :)

I had a dust mite allergy and multiple chemical sensitivities (to perfumes, aromas, candles, etc..) arise while very ill from the celiac, my eyes swollen and red, crusty eyelids, throat closed and scratchy, difficulty swallowing, mouth and throat burning, sinus pain, headaches, etc. and all that has resolved. :) I was a toxic mess! But, not anymore! :)

Hubs is not a DXed celiac, he just went gluten-free with me ---and he had to take Allegra almost daily for years. He had puffy, red eyes and sneezing and nasal congestion and sinus pain.

Not now!

He has not reached for it once in a long time.

Interesting, don't you think?

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

My allergies were much better after going gluten-free ...til I got glutened and spun into an ai attack.

They seem to be better now, though, except on obvious days - windy, etc.

Overall, better.

GFinDC Veteran

I had a big improvement in my hay fever symptoms after going gluten-free. I used to avoid going outdoors because of the pollen. Now I don't buy a couple of Benedryl packets every time I go to the store. It's been quite a while since I took a Benedryl, and the last time was to test if it helped glutening reactions. Answer, not sure.

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

Since going gluten free, I have experienced a huge improvement in my allergies. I used to take a rx generic allegra and a rx nasal spray every day. I had chronic nasal drip and sinusitis. The docs would ask when my allergies bothered me most and I would tell them it's every single day! I was able to get off the meds very quickly after going gluten-free and I have not had a sinus infection since. So happy this was a positive result of going gluten-free.

love2travel Mentor

The leaves are not out yet and nothing is blooming. However, my allergies are always bad this time of year from snow mold and dust. Not so this year for the first time in ages. Hallelujah!! :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

All of my seasonal allergies disappeared the first year I was gluten free. And I was miserable with them before going gluten free.

My son had seasonal allergies and was miserable with rhinitis and asthma all of his life. But all of it is gone now that the gluen is gone. I can't believe I did all of that dusting and vacuuming to protect us from pollen and then I probably ordered pizza thinking I had really done something to help us. Gluten is evil and it must have caused all of our allergies. Neither of us needs any medication for allergies or asthma anymore.

Jetamio Apprentice

Oh I hope this is true! I've The last few years I've had what I thought were year round "allergies" but alas, it was massive infections and gluten. Now that I've been off the gluten a couple of months, I can tell the difference and I feel like this is the first spring in a long time that I've had "real" allergies. It is amazing what we get used to! These allergies are much nothing as intense as my gluten "allergies" so it is a welcome change but I would love for them to fade a bit.

Mateto Enthusiast

YES! I know what you mean.

I'm allergic to cats, but since going gluten-free, I'm able to be around cats for around 1 or 2 hours before I even have to wipe my eye.

lesliev523 Rookie

I went from almost no allergies as a kid to having to consider allergy shots because I was miserable all the time almost all year round. Constant sinus pain and pressure. Eyes always watering or feeling like I had sand thrown in them. It was awful. I am going on a month of being gluten free now, and I have already noticed a significant difference. I still get a little sinus-y but that is only when the wind is whipping, and lots of stuff is getting blown around. I would love to be rid of my allergies for good!

Adalaide Mentor

I sure hope that my allergies clear up some for next spring. This year is far worse than usual for pollen here and I'm totally feeling it. If I miss a single dose of my medication I'll be stuffy and have a killer headache for days. For the first time in years my eyes are itchy despite the medication. I'll cross my fingers for next year.

Oooh, I take my comment back. There's something in the air today....oooh, both hubs and I are stuffy and snotty.

Wind was popping yesterday. I need a pill.

• 2 weeks later...
Carebear Apprentice

Mine may have gotten worse... but then again I think I may have gotten glutened. Anyone else get completely slammed with seasonal allergies when they're glutened??

beachbirdie Contributor

Wow! I am so hopeful after hearing you all talking about your improved allergies!

I've been having a horrible time, worse than I've had in years with reactive airway and sinus troubles! I was wondering if it had anything to do with the gluten binge I've been on for the last six months.

I'm waiting now to see if un-glutening will make a difference.

Yes, when I got glutened in Dec. my allergies took a big dive - I was miserable and went back on Claritin (half dose every other day). It helped a lot. My doctor said its an immunosuppressant so that's probably one reason it helped so much....and the allergy part....

Archived