8 replies to this topic

#1 cevans

cevans

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:20 AM

Hi, I'm brand new here and have to say I hope somebody can identify with me! I'm 53 and only now discovered that I have an acid reflux problem! I have had chronic stomach issues all my life. As a newlywed, I would have to sit up in bed to burp in order not to throw up. I just thought it was the way I was.

Two years ago I started a gluten free diet (or nearly) and that helped with the severe constipation and nausea. Then about a year ago, I started drinking Kroger decaffeinated coffee and that seemed to cause stomach aches. Also, I take a little Ambien at night and I'm wondering if that is causing me to fall asleep with an upset stomach, making the acid reflux worse.

I had a scope test and two swollen nodules and am on a month's worth of Omeprazole before another scope test.

Has anyone else been confused between gluten and acid reflux?

I would be thrilled to know I'm not just plain dumb!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 beebs

beebs

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

One of my main symptoms of eating gluten was severe acid reflux.
HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

#3 Lady Eowyn

Lady Eowyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:45 AM

Hi there
When I used to eat gluten and now if I eat dairy when I bend over acid runs back.
Not good. If I stay away from them I'm fine.

#4 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:05 AM

The doctors misdiagnosed me with GERD problems versus Celiac. Took months and lots of different medicines (none of which worked) before they thought outside that box. If I get glutened I get the worst reflux symptoms and they last for about 24-36 hours.

You mentioned coffee sets it off. Do other drinks with caffeine do the same? Caffeine can cause problems for those who have reflux...along with acidic foods, etc.

#5 Cara in Boston

Cara in Boston

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:29 AM

I took meds for GERD for over a year (sometimes 2X a day) and the symptoms would still come and go . . . could not figure out a trigger food and the meds didn't really seem to help. Was told I would be taking them for life. When my son was diagnosed with Celiac, I got tested and had a positive blood test. I stopped eating gluten then stopped taking the GERD meds a week later. I have had ZERO GERD symptoms since then (except when I accidently ate gluten) It has been over a year.

You could have GERD for sure, but it may be caused by gluten . . . I wish my doctor had thought to find the cause rather then just treat the symptoms.

Cara

#6 Pauliewog

Pauliewog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:05 AM

My whole search into what was wrong with me started with this "bubbling" I felt in my stomach. The doctor thought acid reflux but I never had that burning, something is moving up, feeling. To make a long story short, I tested negative for Celiac but after becoming VERY sick after two gluten challenges the doc and I settled on "gluten sensitive." The bubbling improved off gluten but is not gone. I happened to see an article on a new book called The Acid Reflux Solution (Dr. Jorge Rodriguez). I decided to order it. I only tried a couple of days of eating how the book described and I already felt much better. The bubbling was basically gone. The problem is, when I gave up gluten I thought, "at least I can still have my coffee and chocolate!" I am having a HARD time stopping those. However, now that I am more aware I do notice an acidic feeling after coffee. I am going to try it faithfully soon and see how I feel. I found the book easy to read. I am new to all this so there might be other books out there.

#7 birdie22

birdie22

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:07 AM

Heartburn is one of my main symptoms. It hasn't fully resolved yet but clearly flares when glutened.
Diagnosed NCGS April 2012 after battling headaches, canker sores, bloating, heartburn, epigastric pain, buzzed feeling, extreme fatigue, muscle aches, and nausea since November 2010.

gluten-free since November 2011

#8 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:40 AM

There is a link between Celaic and Eosinophilic Esophagitus. EoE has many of the same gi symptoms as Celiac, but add GERD like chest pain and vomitting. Diagnoses between child-adult is a difference in the total count of eosinophils found during an endoscopy with biopsy.
Michigan

#9 Chad Sines

Chad Sines

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:08 AM

I agree. Dairy and gluten set me on fire. Not 100% gone when I am good but that could be because I tend to cheat like an idiot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: