This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help! Need To Make Shopping List

squirmingitch

squirmingitch Veteran

We believe my hubs is celiac also as well as having dh which is what really convinced him to do a gluten-free trial. Now I need to go shopping for HIS gluten-free diet tomorrow. He's a different beast from me. I grew up eating a lot of whole foods & snacking on fruit & nuts etc.... Hubs is not that way. I KNOW he should go whole foods to start but this is going to be bad enough with him going through gluten withdrawal without him biting my head off b/c he doesn't have any familiar foods. I have to give him a little salve so to speak. I have gone w/o oleo with no problem --- hubs won't be able to handle that.

Our stores don't have lots of brands so I need lots of options on the brands so I can find these items please. I need to know what packaged lunch meats are gluten-free, what oleo-margarine, what bacon, & heaven forbid; a few chips/crunchy snacks to soothe the savage beast. See, I eat none of those things; I'm just as happy with an apple smeared with cashew butter.

I will be forever in your debt.laugh.gif I fear the Hydra is going to make an appearance in the form of my hubs.blink.gif

Also, he hates minty toothpaste so he uses Oral B Bubble Gum --- is that gluten-free? All other topicals I have under control.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Hormel naturals are what I use, as well as Boars Head lunch meats, cheeses. Hormel naturals has a good bacon, too. Most lunch meats and bacons are gluten-free. I google the product name and "gluten free" and generally find the answer if in doubt.

Lots of potato chips are gluten-free - Tostitos marks their basic bag as gluten-free. I didn't have an issue with their salt making me flare. Lots of gluten-free selections if you read the bags. Steer away from the super artificially flavored ones if you can. Not good for DH.

I think all Earth BAlance margarine is gluten-free but I don't use it so check. I use butter or ghee.

Get him some Glutino pretzels (i dont know about the salt), some plain nuts (you can season them on your own). I had to have a chocolate crutch and junior mints worked for me. Dove chocolate is a good bet, too.

Get him some gluten-free beer or whatever he drinks. Just warn him it can be a very different experience on volume now (he may get trashed).

I buy Udi's hot dog and hamburger buns. Rudi's original bread. I like Blue Diamond Almond crackers - sea salt.

Nutella and peanut butter. Shove a spoonful in his mouth if he whines too much. Give him the whole jar if it doesn't stop. Low sals - cashew butter or make some.

Google what toothpaste is available and see of its gluten-free. I use Weleda so I'm no help. Dove deoderant is gluten-free.

He'll develop preferences pretty quickly - the trick will be keeping it supplied.

Skylark Collaborator

- Most packaged lunch meats are gluten-free. Just check labels. I know of the top of my head that Carl Buddig lunch meats are gluten-free. Oscar Mayer (made by Kraft) will clearly list any gluten ingredients on the package.

- Most margarine is gluten-free. I'd strongly recommend Smart Balance or Earth Balance becasue they're completely free of trans-fats. Other brands like Country Crock or Land O Lakes have no gluten ingredients but they have hydrogenated oils and small amounts of trans fat. (The label may say zero because it's less than 0.5g/serving but if you see a hydrogenated oil on the label there will be some trans fat.)

- I have NEVER seen gluten in bacon. Again, just check the label.

- Glutino Pretzels are fabulous

- Frito-Lay has a generous selection of snacks that are verified at <20 ppm gluten, including Fritos, plain Lay's potato chips, Stax, and Tostitos.

Open Original Shared Link

IrishHeart Veteran

I am stealing this from my own Newbie 101 thread :lol:

Some Breakfast ideas:

Erewhon crispy brown rice cereal or gluten-free Kellogg's RICE KRISPIES, gluten-free CHEX corn or gluten-free CHEX Rice cereal, gluten-free CHEX honey-nut or gluten-free CHEX Cinnamon

Add: rice milk, almond milk or coconut milk (The So Delicious brand is excellent) and add berries or sliced banana.

CERTIFIED gluten -free oatmeal w/cinnamon (glutenfreeda brand, Bob's Red Mill are a few examples) NOTE: It is my understanding that Quaker Oats are cross-contaminated! Some celiacs cannot DIGEST oats. Only you can decide.

Gluten-free muffins made from a mix or purchased.

Eggs and bacon or sausage with gluten-free toast or bagel (Kinnikinnick, Udi's, Glutino or homemade bread)

Oscar Meyer bacon is gluten-free for sure.

Pocono Cream of buckwheat --it's good!! (no worries--Buckwheat is not from the wheat family)

Amaranth pancakes w/pure maple syrup (bottled syrups can contain gluten)

gluten-free packaged pancake/waffle mixes (Pamela's brand is very good as is Bob's Red Mill –we use BRM on the site, for short)

Van's frozen waffles.

FRUITS and VEGGIES—eat plenty of these daily in your diet.

LUNCH and DINNER ideas:

Leftovers from last night's dinner make an easy lunch

Some Progresso soups are gluten-free. Check the label!

Some Pacific and Imagine brand soups. Read the label!

A sandwich with gluten free bread or rolls—UDIs, Rudi's, Glutino Genius, Scharr's and Canyon Bakehouse --all have decent packaged breads, rolls and bagels, but homemade is the way to go.

(I have a simple recipe for white sandwich bread that is delicious if you want it.)

A big salad or an antipasta with tons of veggies and grilled chicken or shrimp and Hard-boiled eggs/ with gluten-free or homemade vinegrette dressing.

A list of gluten free salad dressings is available online. Marzettis, and most of WishBone and Ken's are okay. Homemade is best!

Homemade vegetable minestrone ,chicken soup, stews, black bean or White bean chili (use gluten-free stock--pacific, imagine or make your own from scratch--even better!)

Chicken or bean nachos (can use corn tortillas)

Red beans and rice

grilled burgers and beans (Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and Bush's Baked Beans are gluten-free)on a bun (Udi's makes hamburger rolls now or you can make your own. CHEBE bread mix makes killer rolls)

almost all mexican food is safe (just no flour tortillas!)

Pasta and sauce w/meatballs (brown rice or corn pasta)

TINKYADA BRAND penne pasta is delicious! Cook 13 minutes exactly. Trust me!) and use gluten-free breadcrumbs (purchase or just grind some gluten-free bread and season)in your meatballs

Another good pasta is CORN pasta. BiAglut or Sam's Hill are a couple. Cook as directed.

meatloaf (beef or ground turkey) baked potato or yams, green veggie of some kind

Other proteins: roasted or grilled chicken, turkey, pork, beef, salmon, talapia, scallops, lamb, some sausages are safe, bacon (Check labels)

Vegetarian chili--homemade.

I eat a variety of veggies.....whatever looks fresh at the super market or farmer's market or stands...steamed, grilled--- or roasted root veggies in stock.

Sweet potatoes—baked at 350 degrees in a pan for 45-50 mins.--are yummy

Potatoes—roasted, grilled, in a gratin or whipped with milk

Fritattas with veggies and salad

Stuffed peppers—with ground turkey, beef or lamb and rice

ANYTHING GOES!!

ANY recipe you already use can probably be altered--just use gluten-free breadcrumbs or rice/corn pasta ---use any flour made from amaranth, corn, bean, etc...just NO WHEAT, RYE OR BARLEY or cross -contaminated OATS.

Snack ideas that are safe and handy

Cozy Shack Rice Pudding or Tapioca cups (in the dairy section)

All natural applesauce cups

Gluten-free cookies or muffins (Bake them or buy them.)

Pamela's Baking Mix is versatile and good for cookies, baked goods. There are many options (check the recipe and baking section on the forum)

Bagel with cream cheese and jam or nut butters. Udi's and Glutino bagels are pretty good (frozen section)

Pamela's and King Arthur gluten-free--makes a very good brownie mix too!

Chobani Yogurt or So Delicious coconut milk Yogurts- if you cannot have dairy

Scharr cookies (chocolate-dipped shortbread or the mocha layers--are VERY tasty!)

Lundberg rice cakes or sliced apples and celery sticks with natural peanut butter or almond butter or hummus smeared on

Mary's Gone Crackers, Crunchmaster's or Glutino crackers with cheese or peanut butter

BOAR's Head or Applegate Farms deli--ham, turkey, pepperoni, salami, proscuitto--most all cold cuts and cheeses

Slices of cantaloupe wrapped in proscuitto

Watermelon with crumbled feta cheese

Peanuts, almonds, cashews. (I like Blue Diamond or

Nutsonline.com has a HUGE gluten-free selection of nuts and flours)

SUNMAID raisins, prunes. Craisins by Ocean Spray. (**some raisins and dried fruits are dusted with flour to keep them from sticking but these brands are safe.)

Smoothies- made with coconut milk, various fruits, yogurt, etc.

Potato chips----like Cape Cod, Kettle Brand, Utz

Indiana Popcorn--comes in all flavors--the kettle corn is delicious

Glutino brand pretzels—they come in all flavors even chocolate -coated

Coconut milk, creamer and ice cream ( So Delicious brand is very good)

Ice Cream, if dairy is not a problem for you. Most Haagen Das flavors are good, for example. READ LABELS!!!

Organic Corn chips w/salsa, hummus, or Guacamole

Sunflower , pumpkin or flaxseeds

Candy—Hershey's kisses or regular size bars, regular size Reese's cups, Snickers, York peppermint patty, Health Bars, Butterfinger and M &Ms plain and peanut. Ghirardelli squares. These were safe--last I read online--but READ LABELS!

Enjoy Life chocolate chips, chunks and Boom Choco Boom bars (free of ALL top 8 allergens)

Make some Chex mix with gluten-free chex cereals

gluten-free Rice Krispies treats (recipes are online)

CHEBE pizza and breadstick mixes—are very good.

Against the Grain and Glutino make some good frozen pizzas.

Some DEDICATED gluten-free facilities are listed below. There are others. Google away! :

Glutino

Bob's Red Mill gluten-free

1-2-3 Meredith's Marvelous

Authentic Foods gluten-free

Pamela's

Cause You're Special

Udi's

The Cravings Place

Andean Dream

Kinnikinnick

Organic Nectars

Namaste

Orgran

Foods by George

Gluten-free FULL FLAVOR Gravy Packets

Prana Bar

Enjoy Life

EnergG

Gillian's

Against the Grain

Many other companies will provide a list of gluten-free foods. The members on here can tell you which ones are good about this.

ConAgra is a great one!

They make all kinds of ready made mixes and flours to make it easy to start baking.

The cooking and baking section on the forum has thousands of great ideas—these guys are amazingly creative!

if he likes beer, the best gluten-free beers in my hubs' opinion are : Green's, Bard's, New Planet

If your hubs gets grouchy for a few days, come visit me.

IrishHeart Veteran

also NuGo Gluten Free Nutrition bars are chewy and satisfied my sweet tooth and carb cravings. Might make a beary hubs calm down. :)

squirmingitch Veteran

Awwwwww, you guys are GREAT! I think we pretty well got it covered now thanks to you. Isn't it funny how I know how to shop gluten-free but not for someone who eats a whole different way? And I really worry b/c he eats like Godzilla in the first place --- when that gluten withdrawal kicks in I KNOW I gotta have FOOD & lots of it around here. After dinner all he does is eat until he goes to sleep. He, like me, is on the thin side.

So I'm making my list, checking it twice,

will see if I can keep this beastie nice,

and soon he will be gluten free

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gifThanks again !

squirmingitch Veteran

Whew! What a day it's been. Hubs decided after lunch that he would do this. So it's been a mad scramble. We cleaned the gluten stuff out of the cabinets, fridge & freezer. Tomorrow is garbage day & out it goes. The last gluten sponge has been tossed & the last gluten dishtowel & rag are in the laundry. This is going to make it much easier to keep cc from happening. Hubs was very, very careful & concerned about cc ing me & wouldn't even let me touch his gluteny stuff. But still I think we both feel better now.

Hubs has been listening to me.smile.gif He's concerned about eating too much processed foods & getting too many sals. I told him we won't kick those factors in for a week yet.

He's had about a 15 yr. history of alternating either C or D. Not as bad as many but enough not to be normal IMO. He is hypothyroid. His mother, sister & 1 brother had diabetes --- the brother being insulin dependent. And his sister had "hives" all the time --- ????? Hubs has joint & muscle pain, numbness &/or tingling of the feet & hands. High anxiety. Depression. Grrrrrr attitude. And now lesions in groupings & they are eerily bilateral --- like twins on each side of the body; the top of both feet, the back of each thigh, on each hand, now they are appearing on each lower leg & the elbows. He's been bucking up & not telling me how much they itched b/c after dinner he said he's sick of feeling like he has poison ivy or someone beat him with stingweed.

I've been working on him for quite some time now but DeNile was flowing heavily. DeNile has been dammed up today!

Thank you Prickly, IH & Skylark for your rapid & thorough responses. The printer has had a work out today printing out your responses as well as 6 pgs. of FritoLay gluten-free list, & ConAgra list & more. We're ready to go shopping now!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

Oh, wow. Has he gotten a biopsy or bloodwork? Sounds like celiac complete with DH! I'm really glad you're getting him off gluten.

IrishHeart Veteran

Oh, wow. Has he gotten a biopsy or bloodwork? Sounds like celiac complete with DH! I'm really glad you're getting him off gluten.

That's what I said to SQUIRMY, too. His health history sure sounds like a gluten issue.

Did he have blood work done?

squirmingitch Veteran

In a word, no. I did a lot of research in anticipation of his going gluten-free. Of course the quickest way to get a dx would be a biopsy of the lesions. So I checked out derms within any reasonable distance. I could not find a single one who has experience doing a biopsy of dh. That combined with the fact that he has been gluten light b/c of me since October plus the rate of false negatives on dh biopsies pretty much makes a dx by dh biopsy a pretty far reach.

As to a dx by blood work &/or endoscopy ---- same thing applies as far as him being gluten light for so long. And we all know the rate of false neg. on that too. Then there's the factor of him presenting with dh which makes the dx by blood work & endoscopy even less likely.

Now, with both the above options he would have to have a referral to any of the GI docs or the derms. So that would mean finding a new primary care doc right now & getting that doc to refer to the derm or GI.

We discussed it long & hard, examining all the factors & concluded that it would be a long road with such a likely chance of going through all that for nothing. Hubs would have to ramp up the gluten intake which would make the road to recovery for the dh alone take that much longer. And at the rate his dh is presenting I'm afraid he would just be a huge mass of lesions before any testing took place.

And finally, hubs has no insurance so we would have to pay it all out of pocket. He is a disabled Vietnam vet & insurance companies won't touch him. And he won't be eligible for Medicare until Jan. Go to the VA? NO, NO & NO! Don't even get me started on that subject. We have spent way too many years dealing with the VA health system & we know what it's like. With the screwy protocols they have it would be 2 or 3 years before they even considered testing him for celiac even if they finally agreed to.

When hubs got cancer we chose NOT to go to the VA. We paid for all of it out of our savings & a disabled veteran's pockets are not very deep. But we could not trust the VA with his treatment.

Skylark Collaborator

Well, it sounds like you and hubs completely understand the testing and are making a very informed decision. I hope the diet helps him! Did you find plenty of gluten-free munchies for him?

squirmingitch Veteran

Well, it sounds like you and hubs completely understand the testing and are making a very informed decision. I hope the diet helps him! Did you find plenty of gluten-free munchies for him?

Yes, we did! He actually turned some of them down & is limiting his intake on the ones we did get as he is thinking about processed foods & sals content. Good boy! He had some Haagen-Daz with Glutinos wafer cookies tonight & now he's sampling the Glutinos pretzels.smile.gif So far, so good.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Glutino pretzels do not have iodine in the salt.

Someone posted about that a while back and I was so happy!

I melt Dove Chocolate and dip the Glutino pretzels in it...yum!

This is my splurge when I step down from Paleo eating for a while.

Good luck to both of you! And congratulations on getting a gluten free household! What a relief I'm sure. And it will be for him too if this is DH that he is dealing with.

squirmingitch Veteran

Glutino pretzels do not have iodine in the salt.

Someone posted about that a while back and I was so happy!

I melt Dove Chocolate and dip the Glutino pretzels in it...yum!

This is my splurge when I step down from Paleo eating for a while.

Good luck to both of you! And congratulations on getting a gluten free household! What a relief I'm sure. And it will be for him too if this is DH that he is dealing with.

Good idea with the Dove chocolate! Hubs was asking about Hersey's chocolate syrup so I'll have to check that out to make sure it's safe.

Yes, it IS a great relief having the household gluten free. It's so much easier & faster to prep food now & I know it's just mental but I feel like the kitchen is clean now.

IrishHeart Veteran

Good idea with the Dove chocolate! Hubs was asking about Hersey's chocolate syrup so I'll have to check that out to make sure it's safe.

Yes, it IS a great relief having the household gluten free. It's so much easier & faster to prep food now & I know it's just mental but I feel like the kitchen is clean now.

Hershey's syrup is a GO! Check this out

I am glad you're going gluten-free together. MUCH easier all around!!

And I know I have said this before, but I'll say it again: I admire you and hubs for tackling all the big problems together and staying positive. Hang tough, Kiddo :)

squirmingitch Veteran

Hershey's syrup is a GO! Check this out

I am glad you're going gluten-free together. MUCH easier all around!!

And I know I have said this before, but I'll say it again: I admire you and hubs for tackling all the big problems together and staying positive. Hang tough, Kiddo :)

The list is printed. OMG! OMG! OMG! York Peppermint Patties!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif That's MY love! Although peppermint doesn't exactly agree with me (gas); I can't resist a peppermint patty once in a blue moon. Yes, I know, peppermint is supposed to be soothing but I can't eat candy canes anymore. Well, I have to renig on that as maybe they have gluten & that was the problem but I haven't eaten candy canes at Xmas for some years.

Thanks IH, we're hanging tough. Sometimes we're just hanging by a threadohmy.gif but we're still hanging!laugh.gif

IrishHeart Veteran

The list is printed. OMG! OMG! OMG! York Peppermint Patties!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif That's MY love! Although peppermint doesn't exactly agree with me (gas); I can't resist a peppermint patty once in a blue moon. Yes, I know, peppermint is supposed to be soothing but I can't eat candy canes anymore. Well, I have to renig on that as maybe they have gluten & that was the problem but I haven't eaten candy canes at Xmas for some years.

Thanks IH, we're hanging tough. Sometimes we're just hanging by a threadohmy.gif but we're still hanging!laugh.gif

:blink: Peppermint kills me and I had a ND tell me "Oh this is so soothing, just drink peppermint tea!"

uh, noooooo....can you say fireball? :blink:

Someday, I'm going to try a peppermint patty again.

yeah, we may hang by just a thread,

but that thread is verrrrrry strong and thick....

Tells your hubs I am rooting for him....and welcome to the family. :D

Archived