This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help! I'm No Baker! (Pizza Crust)

krystynycole

krystynycole Contributor

So I was never a real baker before going gluten-free...it was always a box for cake or the already baked pizza crusts like Boboli. Now that I'm gluten-free, I tried the pre-baked gluten-free, but they just didn't cut it for me and are not in a store that is close to my house. I saw Bob Red Mill Pizza Crust mix at Wal-mart and thought I 'd give it a try. Well it tasted great and I had no issues gluten reaction wise, but I am having trouble with it. The first time only half of the crust was fully cooked and the second time I made it the who thing was under cooked when I left it in for double the time!

I know nothing about baking period, but I'd like to learn some. Are there are tips or tricks or things a new baker should know? Things I may be doing wrong and not even realize it?

Any suggestions would be helpful!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sora Community Regular

So I was never a real baker before going gluten-free...it was always a box for cake or the already baked pizza crusts like Boboli. Now that I'm gluten-free, I tried the pre-baked gluten-free, but they just didn't cut it for me and are not in a store that is close to my house. I saw Bob Red Mill Pizza Crust mix at Wal-mart and thought I 'd give it a try. Well it tasted great and I had no issues gluten reaction wise, but I am having trouble with it. The first time only half of the crust was fully cooked and the second time I made it the who thing was under cooked when I left it in for double the time!

I know nothing about baking period, but I'd like to learn some. Are there are tips or tricks or things a new baker should know? Things I may be doing wrong and not even realize it?

Any suggestions would be helpful!

I made this last week for the first time. Did you pre cook the crust then add toppings and bake some more?

Maybe you should check your oven temp to see if it is accurate.

I also tried Duinkerkan (sp) pizza crust mix and loved it. No pre- cooking and came out perfect. I got it at Walmart.

krystynycole Contributor

I made this last week for the first time. Did you pre cook the crust then add toppings and bake some more?

Maybe you should check your oven temp to see if it is accurate.

I also tried Duinkerkan (sp) pizza crust mix and loved it. No pre- cooking and came out perfect. I got it at Walmart.

Yes I did pre cook it. I even cooked it longer before adding toppings the second time :( I will have to look for the Duinkerkan and see because the no precooking sounds like something that would help me! ha ha I may check my oven, but it works fine to bake my muffins and other dinner items in normal time. But it may be the trick. Thanks.

Meatballman Rookie

Have you ever tried premade crust? Udis and Rudis both make crust.I eat them all the time they taste pretty good.

lpellegr Collaborator

Did you notice that the Bob's mix is meant to make 2 round pizza crusts? I find that the whole mix is enough to fill a large cookie sheet and make a big Sicilian-style pie. If you were putting all of the dough on one round pan, it would be too thick. Try dividing it or making the big rectangular pie. Follow their instructions carefully and it should come out right. One tip they give that really helps is using wet fingers to pat it into the pan. That really works. I keep dipping my fingers in a bowl of water and the dough doesn't stick to them.

Marilyn R Community Regular

After eliminating a number of basically inedible products, I liked Chebe's first, and it is still a really good crust but it isn't as good as Against the Grain frozen pizza. That's just MHO. They have a store locator on their website, but do call ahead as they suggest.

I totally understand the need for pizza.

sa1937 Community Regular

Pizza was one of the things I missed the most...in fact, I absolutely craved it. While I make my own crust now, some people do like to use Gluten-Free Pantry French Bread Mix for pizza. I think it would also make two pizzas.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BirdWatcher Newbie

I just get the Udi's now, but I use to use the Pamela's bread mix and make pizza crust out of it. I would get three out of it. I would prebake them. Use one for that night's pizza and freeze the other two for use later.

Here's the important part. After the prebaking part, transfer the crust to one of those pizza pans that have holes (can't do it for the prebaking part as the dough was soft enough that it wanted to seep thru the holes - could use foil, I guess). Anyway, the holes really help dry out/crispin up the center of the crust. Otherwise, to me, it kind of comes out soggy.

Do you think your crusts weren't done or were they soggy?

I got my pan at Target. Nothing fancy about it except it's full of holes. :D

krystynycole Contributor

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

I did notice they are for two pizzas. I may try the other brands thought and see if I have the same problem.

Meatball man...I've never tried them. They don't sell them around my house :(....

bird watcher...I do use the pan with the wholes in to begin with. I just roll it out on the counter and place it on the pan. I may try to do it the way you said though...might help! I think it was just underdone. It seemed done on the outside and was even browned when I put the toppings on, but who knows at this point...I may be helpless! ha ha

Marilyn R Community Regular

What would we do without our holy pizza pans? :D Here's the link I mentioned before. Open Original Shared Link I cook it at the higher temperature and for a few minutes more, then let it rest on the counter about five minutes before I slice and serve it. It is the bomb. DP says it's as good as any pizza he had on "The Hill" in St. Louis.

I'll still always love Chebes, my first gluten-free pizza that didn't have a horrid texture. But ATG is awesome, just don't add cheese! (They have the cheese down, they're from Vermont.) I've been e-mailing the corporate headquarters of a major grocery store chain where I live trying to convince them to carry it. Even though I have to take a road trip to buy them, it's worth it. A medium sized pie costs between $11.50 - $14.00 depending on where you purchase it. The crust is awesome. It has flexion. :D

Kelleybean Enthusiast

After eliminating a number of basically inedible products, I liked Chebe's first, and it is still a really good crust but it isn't as good as Against the Grain frozen pizza. That's just MHO. They have a store locator on their website, but do call ahead as they suggest.

I totally understand the need for pizza.

I love the Against the Grain frozen pizza! I wish it weren't so darn expensive though.

krystynycole Contributor

So I dared the adventure again!! I kept everything you guys said in mind and by some miracle this crazy baker made it work! Here's hoping I remember what I did for next time :) Thanks all!

hexon Rookie

When I make Bob's Red Mill pizza crust I divide the dough evenly and press them out on cookie pans lined with parchment paper. Normally each pizza is about 12". I then very lightly coat the top of each pizza with the tomato sauce that I'm going to use, just to keep the dough from becoming too crispy. I bake that for 10 minutes at the recommended temp, then take them out and put on more tomato sauce and other ingredients. I bake those for an additional 10 minutes. I'll normally eat one and freeze the other.

Archived