3 replies to this topic

#1 Sunshine311

Sunshine311

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:04 PM

I was just diagnosed with Celiac 2.5 months ago and went cold turkey off all gluten. A week ago, I had gluten for the first time and paid for it the next day. Then I went out to eat this past week, got cross contamination (I think), and have felt a billion times worse -- joint pain, kanker sores, GI pain, gas, bloating, heartburn. But I am positive I haven't had gluten for about 3 days. Could I still be reacting from the cross contamination and last weekend? I have heard of people taking gluten relief enzymes, etc but if I could get ANY advice on how to feel better I would appreciate it. I am so sick and like I said haven't had any gluten the past 3 days, so that isn't fixing my symptoms. Any suggestions???

Thanks!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 dws

dws

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

I was just diagnosed with Celiac 2.5 months ago and went cold turkey off all gluten. A week ago, I had gluten for the first time and paid for it the next day. Then I went out to eat this past week, got cross contamination (I think), and have felt a billion times worse -- joint pain, kanker sores, GI pain, gas, bloating, heartburn. But I am positive I haven't had gluten for about 3 days. Could I still be reacting from the cross contamination and last weekend? I have heard of people taking gluten relief enzymes, etc but if I could get ANY advice on how to feel better I would appreciate it. I am so sick and like I said haven't had any gluten the past 3 days, so that isn't fixing my symptoms. Any suggestions???

Thanks!!!

People's reactions vary. It would not be unusual to take longer than 3 days to get over a reaction. But, more importantly, if you have been diagnosed as a celiac you need to put the gluten down for good because there can be some health consequences if you keep switching back to gluten. Your cancer risk increases due to continued exposure and there are some who believe that the healing followed by injury over and over can lead to scarring of the gut which may lead to complications.

#3 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

This is armchair advice, but I recommed lots of fluids and a long hot soak in the tub with epsom salts (1 - 2 cups) and baking soda (a whole cup). If you have any mint, throw that in there too!

Pepto bismol won't hurt you, neither will Tylenol.

Sorry you got zapped!

P.S. Welcome to the forum, hope you feel better soon.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#4 BirdWatcher

BirdWatcher

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:44 PM

I would just go with the correct (gluten free) OTC medication for whichever symptom is causing you pain. And I would throw in a digestive enzyme with every meal for a while.
Kate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: