2 replies to this topic

#1 dkelley

dkelley

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:51 AM

My 12 Year-Old son was diagnosed with Celiac disease In February of this year. After having the rest of the family tested and receiving negative results we (wife, daughter and myself) decided to have the entire family go gluten free in support of our son. We felt that it would be easier for him if we had a gluten free house and chose gluten free friendly restaurants while dining out. For the 1st 2 months or so things went well for all of us.

The issue is that in the last 2-3 weeks I have not felt well at all. Whenever I eat no matter how much or how little I feel kind of sick within 15-30 minutes. The best way to describe it is that I feel hungry, but that type of hungry when you go too long with out eating. (Does that make any sense?) I can eat more, but I still feel the same way. Could this be a form of withdrawal from not eating gluten? I would have thought that I would feel bad right after the diet change not 2 months later. Does anyone else that has gone gluten free in support of a family member have similar experiences?

I apoligize if this is posted in the wrong section of the forum.
12 Year-Old son diagnosed with Celiac Disease 02/07/2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 TeknoLen

TeknoLen

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:18 AM

Non-celiac people can still be gluten-sensitive and there are countless symptoms of gluten withdrawal. Everyone is unique so what you describe could be a withdrawal symptom. Your post however reminded me of something I went through when I changed my diet.

When I first went gluten-free, I still ate a ton of gluten-free carbs, such as quinoa pasta, rice bread, rice pasta, certified gluten-free oats (with honey), steamed rice. I would be hungry soon shortly thereafter. Eventually, I read up on refined carbs and how they can digest too rapidly and spike blood glucose levels. Insulin then spikes to bring down blood glucose levels but sometimes it overshoots and brings blood glucose down too much too fast. Low blood sugar can make you hungry quickly, sometimes sleepy, etc. I subsequently switched to a paleo diet (lean meat, fish, vegetables, some fruit, some nuts, no grains, no dairy) and found it to be much more satisfying, less in between meal hunger, no post-meal distress, although I do snack quite a bit on carrots, celery, cukes, etc.

Long story short, you might consider tracking your refined carb intake relative to the sensation you are experiencing. Good luck.
  • self-dx gluten-sensitive 2007 but did not take it seriously
  • dx autoimmune Graves hyperthyroidism 9-7-11
  • second opinion doctor confirmed autoimmune hyperthyroid dx, suggested possible autoimmune thyroid-gluten sensitivity connection
  • medication-induced hyperthyroid remission 11-4-11
  • lab test dx gluten, casein, ovalbumin, and soy sensitive 12-15-11
  • taking diet seriously now, strict GFCFSF diet...

#3 dkelley

dkelley

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:56 AM

Non-celiac people can still be gluten-sensitive and there are countless symptoms of gluten withdrawal. Everyone is unique so what you describe could be a withdrawal symptom. Your post however reminded me of something I went through when I changed my diet.

When I first went gluten-free, I still ate a ton of gluten-free carbs, such as quinoa pasta, rice bread, rice pasta, certified gluten-free oats (with honey), steamed rice. I would be hungry soon shortly thereafter. Eventually, I read up on refined carbs and how they can digest too rapidly and spike blood glucose levels. Insulin then spikes to bring down blood glucose levels but sometimes it overshoots and brings blood glucose down too much too fast. Low blood sugar can make you hungry quickly, sometimes sleepy, etc. I subsequently switched to a paleo diet (lean meat, fish, vegetables, some fruit, some nuts, no grains, no dairy) and found it to be much more satisfying, less in between meal hunger, no post-meal distress, although I do snack quite a bit on carrots, celery, cukes, etc.

Long story short, you might consider tracking your refined carb intake relative to the sensation you are experiencing. Good luck.

TeknoLen

I think you are probably right. Funny thing is I knew all that. I guess my focus has been on not eating gluten, not so much what I am replacing the gluten with. A lot of the processed gluten free alternatives appear to be a healthy alternative. I do find myself grabbing more carb filled snacks then I would have before. I will try increasing my protein, vegetable and fruit intake and see how it works out.

Thank you for the feedback.
12 Year-Old son diagnosed with Celiac Disease 02/07/2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: