3 replies to this topic

#1 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:22 AM

So I bit the bullet and bought Afterglow cosmetics. They are suppose to be gluten free and are manufactured in a gluten free facility. I used the lip gloss over the weekend and I am having a... lets call it....an adverse reaction. Has anyone else used this line of cosmetics?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 heatherjane

heatherjane

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:41 AM

I haven't used it, but are you sure the reaction is from the lip gloss, or could you have an issue with another ingredient in it?

I know those are obvious questions, but just thought I'd ask. :)

#3 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:50 AM

I bought some & use it & have no problems BUT I have not tried the lip products yet. I only got the starter kit which has no lip products in it. I was going to get around to getting some lip gloss as I have been so happy with the other stuff.
I have been hesitant though to get the lip products b/c they have castor seed oil in them as do so many products these days. When I was 5 or 6 I helped my father drag castor bean bush (tree) prunings out to the curb & got some of the sap on me. I ended up with GIANT hives!!!!!! ALLERGIC!!!!! Now, some people tell me that I should not react to castor oil b/c it is not the sap of the plant but I just can't bring myself to test that theory especially since finding out I am celiac with dh & knowing how we can react to the most oddball things.
I have been unable to find a gluten-free lip product -- lipstick or colored gloss --- which doesn't contain castor oil. But I haven't checked them all.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#4 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:47 AM

I am now thinking that it doesn't have anything to do with the lip gloss..except possibly the sesame oil. I am thinking it has a TON to do with the liquid sals I drank (apple cider) on sat. It has left me feeling glutened and the DH is royally PO'ed now.

Where is the itchy burning smiley? lol He will work.... :ph34r:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: