22 replies to this topic

#1 Stubborn red head

Stubborn red head

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

I met and fell in love with my husband in July of 2008. We recently wed on Sept 12, 2010. It came to my attention a few months ago that I hadn't be able to get my husband a nice birthday or Christmas gift since we got together, mostly because he is extremely hard to shop for and he normally gets what he wants, leaving me with no options for gifts...

Around Christmas time I told My Wonderful Husband that with his big 3 0 coming up so quickly. I was going to have to restrict his spending and take the majority of the "extra moneys" out of his paychecks and mine to buy him gifts for his birthday.

Here is my list:
(keep in mind that we live in WV and love hunting fishing and camping)
1.)A year long membership to a near by Shooting Range.
2.)An Yamaha 250 Street bike, used from a friend.
3.)A Very nice gun. ( I ended up getting a Belgium made Browning Rifle .30-06 Cal.) For those that don't know this is a very nice Sniper quality rifle.
4.)To go with his Very nice gun, a high end scope, scope mounts and rings as the gun didn't have these on it already.
5.) A Surprise party at the range with his closest friends and family attending.

For dinner we are having my Famous ribs, potato-salad, Baked beans, For those that are eating bread there will be rolls, and pasta salad.
Instead of cake there will be my homemade chocolate covered turtles that everyone always fights over during the Christmas season. I think but Im not sure that one of the guests is making homemade icecream!

I am extremely nervous that he wont love it. He is not much for surprises, and to pull all this off is costing me two grand. If he doesn't like it I am going to die! I wish I could talk to him about it but I can't then it wouldn't be a surprise.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

Wow, you've gone to a ton of work! I can't imagine a guy who loves hunting turning his nose up at a Browning with a high-end scope and a shooting range membership. My brother tells me you can't have enough good rifles. B) The bike sounds like icing on the cake, especially if he's been wanting one! Those little Yamaha 250cc's are nice bikes.

If you are super-worried about the surprise party you could get someone to mention it to him by "mistake"? You'll have plenty of surprise with the presents!

#3 ciamarie

ciamarie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:18 AM

It sounds to me like the party locale and the gifts are just right. I would suspect, but you know him better of course... that while he may not generally like surprises, as the event unfolds he'll be just fine. I would suggest that if he seems a bit 'put off' at first, be good-natured and loving about it and he'll come around. In other words, expect a not-so-great reaction, and maybe try and figure out things to say that will soothe his feathers. Don't take it personally and let it ruin your evening. The big 3-0 is a milestone worthy of a party. I threw my own, in fact.

And then of course, if he is pleasantly surprised instead, you can just relax and have a great time. I hope that's what happens, keep us posted.
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#4 Stubborn red head

Stubborn red head

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:19 PM

I have talked to him about his birthday I think he thinks there is going to be a party even though I have said nothing of it.. He is not one for showing emotions so Ill call it a success if hes shocked into silence.

#5 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:00 PM

What you have described sounds great for your husband. You know him best. If you had said he likes hunting and camping so I'm throwing him a party at the country club and there's going to be a champaign fountain and 200 guests and how am I going to trick him into wearing a tux . . . then I would have been worried.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#6 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:51 AM

After all your thought and effort how will he not be stunned/happy/etc? He may not show it but my hubby, who is Mr. Stoic, just loves it when I put time and attention into his gifts -- they don't have to be expensive but just show some thought and effort. Your list of prezzies is impressive and along with a great home-cooked meal...he's going to LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Don't stress...just enjoy his big day! :D

#7 Stubborn red head

Stubborn red head

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

As the day is getting closer I am easing some. I just want everything to go right. With him coming home Thursday and me not being able to take the food to the party sight until Saturday. Did I mention that we spend every weekend together, only to part when I have to work. I have tried everything to get him to make plans so I can have a hour to take everything to the party site.
Its Wednesday evening and I just got done smoking the ribs and chicken. How do hide it all from him?

#8 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

How do hide it all from him?

Whatever you do, don't stick it under the bed. :P

Do you have a friend or neighbor or family member that will let you load up their fridge. Lots of people have the extra fridge in the basement or garage that usually holds the soda/beer.
Janet

Posted Image

#9 Stubborn red head

Stubborn red head

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:43 PM

thats a great idea.. I just called the guy thats making home made icecream for the party and he said that they have plenty of room for the food. Im heading out the door to get the final supplies and food. Then off to my friends to drop it all off.

#10 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:24 PM

Wow you really went all out. I am sure he will be delighted in the long run. But how are you going to top that for his 40th! I hope you both have a great time at the party. By the way if he doesn't like the rifle or the bike my birthday is coming up in a couple months. :D
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#11 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:29 PM

By the way if he doesn't like the rifle or the bike my birthday is coming up in a couple months. :D

Actually, I was hopin' we'd be invited over for ribs.
Janet

Posted Image

#12 Stubborn red head

Stubborn red head

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

if your too far away to join us for the ribs, I can post the recipe. If you like? Some things I wont be able to share because its a family secrete.

Start with the rub..
1/2 cup Paprika
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard (Very Important)
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons Garlic powder
2 tablespoons Onion powder
3-4 tablespoons of Poultry Seasoning
2 tablespoons sugar
Rub should be almost orange. Reddish orange.

Rub the coat the ribs with the rub.
Place on a CHARCOAL grill on a low fire, if your grill has a temp gage try to keep it below 300 I like it below 250. I also like to put smoking logs on the fire, hickory and apple is very nice.
Close grill off to keep as much of the smoke in the grill as possible. Leave for 1 hour check with the ribs start to look like they are light brown flip to bottom of ribs. Leave for 1 more hour. Rotate until ribs are dark brown, and smelling wonderful.

Place ribs in a oven pan, with a lid. sprinkle more rub over the ribs, and drizzle them down with apple juice and water mixture. Leave in oven for 2-4 hours until tender. Make sure the pan doesn't go dry. Top with your favorite bbq sauce. I like a nice hickory bbq, something that doesn't have a very strong flavor you dont want to over power the ribs.

#13 Stubborn red head

Stubborn red head

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:41 AM

so its friday... Jerry wants his presents now! I knew this was going to happen. His whole family warned me that he would be wondering where his awesome presents was the morning of his birthday.

So here comes the hard part. waiting until Sunday. It shouldn't be too hard, we have dinner tonight at his favorite restaurant that we CAN'T afford, unless its a birthday, half price on your birthday. Tomorrow we are going to see a movie, with some friends. I'm also thinking we are going to so shoot the guns that he knows about. Sunday we are getting up I am cooking his favorite breakfast, then to the range, everyone is supposed to show up there around 2.

#14 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:57 AM

Wow you really went all out. I am sure he will be delighted in the long run. But how are you going to top that for his 40th!

Have his 40th on his 39th birthday! :D

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#15 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:30 PM

It shouldn't be too hard, we have dinner tonight at his favorite restaurant that we CAN'T afford, unless its a birthday, half price on your birthday.

Okay now I'm worried he is going to freak out that you spent so much :blink: :o
Just kidding. Have a great dinner and I hope he is totally thrilled with his birthday surprise.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: