Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 dustynbob

dustynbob

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:25 AM

I am in the worst health care county in CA. I have been on glucophage for 6 years, and in that time i began taking Excedrin migraine. My blood sugar fasting went from 120 forever to 190 on 4 metformins a day. I was on blood pressure meds for a few weeks but got very ill and shortness off breath so off it now.
I had a colonoscopy last year and the doctor forgot to do a biopsy. I tested positive for celiac last month, although my allergy said i am not allergic to wheat. i have been on and off wheat for a couple months, not because i knew i had a wheat allergy but just because i noticed a huge bloating, i mean i look 10 months pregnant. They did a cat scan of my gut and from stomach to anus was swollen and inflamed. Yet NOTHING was done to relieve the pain, vomiting and diarrhea. No one suggested celiac but i requested a test, which they pooh pooh but my FNP ran it anyway and it was the only test to come back positive.

#18 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:29 AM

Let us know how everything goes.
Cheering for you!

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#19 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:46 AM

I gave Dr. Murray the list of meds that were mentioned by others here. Once all of my tests came back there was no mention of toxicity problem from a past med. I don't know how they rule it out?

I was told that reacting to additional foods as time goes on can often be from a bacterial overgrowth. The bacteria emit toxins as they consume what's in the small intestine. Once the SIBO has been treated, we should be able to tolerate those foods again?
My hydrogen breath test showed high levels of methane, which shouldn't happen. It should only be in the colon. I was prescribed xifaxin for it.

Probiotics are good, but the way it was explained to me was..it's like there are parking spots in the intestine. If the parking spots are already filled with bad bacteria, the good ones have no place to park so they just pass through. We need to get rid of the bad, then the good bacteria can park there.

#20 saintmaybe

saintmaybe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:03 AM

I gave Dr. Murray the list of meds that were mentioned by others here. Once all of my tests came back there was no mention of toxicity problem from a past med. I don't know how they rule it out?

I was told that reacting to additional foods as time goes on can often be from a bacterial overgrowth. The bacteria emit toxins as they consume what's in the small intestine. Once the SIBO has been treated, we should be able to tolerate those foods again?
My hydrogen breath test showed high levels of methane, which shouldn't happen. It should only be in the colon. I was prescribed xifaxin for it.

Probiotics are good, but the way it was explained to me was..it's like there are parking spots in the intestine. If the parking spots are already filled with bad bacteria, the good ones have no place to park so they just pass through. We need to get rid of the bad, then the good bacteria can park there.

I was taking topomax, and that was making my gluten sensitivity a million times worse I just discovered. I took myself off of it, and immediately felt a million times better. You're really supposed to taper, but I couldn't stand the side effects. Topomax is for migraines by the way. If I continue to have headaches, I'm going to request Maxalt in May or Juneat my next annual. :rolleyes:

This conversation has been so helpful for understanding some of the more severe side effects of celiac.

#21 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

I was taking topomax, and that was making my gluten sensitivity a million times worse I just discovered. I took myself off of it, and immediately felt a million times better. You're really supposed to taper, but I couldn't stand the side effects. Topomax is for migraines by the way. If I continue to have headaches, I'm going to request Maxalt in May or Juneat my next annual. :rolleyes:

This conversation has been so helpful for understanding some of the more severe side effects of celiac.

Topomax! I forgot about that one. I went on it for migraines and had extreme brain fog. I felt like a stoner.
Went to the Hospital for a test and got hopelessly lost in their maze to the radiology dept. LOL I went off it after about 1 month because I couldn't function on it. This was a couple of years ago, long before I had even heard of Celiac.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: