7 replies to this topic

#1 MitziG

MitziG

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

I just passed the 1 yr gluten-free mark and feel SO much better. Still not as energetic as I would like, but getting there. My question is regarding dairy. I have discovered the major adult acne I am fighting goes away if I am 100% casein free. Like nothing that even says (may contain milk) even a little bit breaks me out. Giving up dairy products was easy, but cutting out ALL casein is rough. I fall off the wagon constantly. So hard to not have butter! Or Hershey bars! And so I still am fighting the acne. But that seems to be the ONLY issue. I don't have any stomach pain or bloating.

Trying to determine if it is casein itself that is the problem, or hormones in dairy that I am sensitive to.

My antibody levels to gluten are now 0. I still have some floaty stools though, and some that are mucousy. (Sorry for the TMI

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 MitziG

MitziG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

Argh. Phone froze so had to post halfway thru. Anyway. I also just had a lipid panel done. Cholesterol good, HDL very high, LDL low. Triglycerides were 42. From what I have read, that indicates malabsorption. So....is it likely dairy is causing continued malapsorption? Cuz I eat way too much sugar and if anyone should have HIGH triglycerides, it is me.

Or does it just take awhile for them to build up after going gluten-free? I guess I am wondering if I need to be casein free for reasons other than vanity. Perhaps that would motivate me!

#3 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

If even traces of casein get you I doubt it's hormones in dairy. How could you possibly get enough of a hormone to react to in a "may contain milk" product?

I know how hard it is because I'm testing casein-free right now. I highly recommend Earth Balance for butter substitute. Chocolate is hard if you're super sensitive. I think people eat the Enjoy Life semi-sweet chocolate chips and chocolate bars.

Edit: I just saw your second post. I think it makes a LOT of sense to go strict casein free for a few months and see if it helps the malabsorption. If it gives you acne, who knows what else it is doing? Also being a sugar fiend can keep your gut bacteria out of whack. Might want to try to moderate it a little. :)

Edited by Skylark, 30 April 2012 - 08:05 PM.

#4 MitziG

MitziG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

Hmmm. You make a good point about the hormones. Sugar fiend indeed. Been trying to stop but I am SO addicted to chocolate! Haven't been able to find the enjoy life chocolate around here- some dairy free chocolate would definitely help! I will look for the earth balance though.

So...icky question...but...is it normal for SOME stools to float? I mean, I'm talking 2-3 little floaters and several sinkers in every bowel movement. And I go about 5 times a day. (Which seems kind of excessive)

#5 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:07 PM

Floating stools can be a sign of fat malabsorption. It would fit in with the lipid panel results. This seems like a really sensible article I turned up in Google.
http://www.askanatur...ng-stools/p/212

#6 MitziG

MitziG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:21 AM

Hmmmm. Ok. Guess I better go hunting for some dairy free goodies today so I can stick to this. Probably what needs to be done to get over that last little hump....

#7 bennl1

bennl1

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:12 AM

Hmmmm. Ok. Guess I better go hunting for some dairy free goodies today so I can stick to this. Probably what needs to be done to get over that last little hump....

As you like chocolate so much, try cocoa-powder with coconut milk.
Ben (58)

Diagnosed Celiac 12-Apr-2012
Dairy intolerant, B12 malabsorption, Bile acid malabsorption.
Osteopania
Lifetime of misdiagnoses.

2008-2011 Lived in Thailand, almost symptom free.
Now only eat Thai food.
Easy to cook - gluten/dairy free - delicious

#8 MitziG

MitziG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:44 AM

Good idea- except I noticed I am breaking out even from dairy free chocolate. Also from soda- so may be chocolate, sugar, caffeine...or all 3! Trying to eliminate all inflammatory foods now until I get to the bottom of this!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: