This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dentist Visit

TiaMichi2

TiaMichi2 Apprentice

Hi everyone,

I just cracked a tooth and have to go in to have it fixed, what should I watch out for at the Dentist, and are there any recommendations that I can make to her so that I do not get glutened?

Last time I went in for my cleaning, I got glutened and I think it might have been from the hygenist's gloves, that is the only thing that I was not sure about, maybe they were the powdered kind??? I always bring my own floss, and make sure she does not use any flavored polish, and also I only rinse with water no mouthwash.

This time however, it is probably going to involve numbing and cememnt and all that good stuff Dentists use to fix teeth.......HELP!!! :unsure:

-Miriam

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

Hi everyone,

I just cracked a tooth and have to go in to have it fixed, what should I watch out for at the Dentist, and are there any recommendations that I can make to her so that I do not get glutened?

Last time I went in for my cleaning, I got glutened and I think it might have been from the hygenist's gloves, that is the only thing that I was not sure about, maybe they were the powdered kind??? I always bring my own floss, and make sure she does not use any flavored polish, and also I only rinse with water no mouthwash.

This time however, it is probably going to involve numbing and cememnt and all that good stuff Dentists use to fix teeth.......HELP!!! :unsure:

-Miriam

Miriam.....there should be no worries regarding a dental visit. I have had more dental work done than most Celiacs combined and only had a reaction once, but it was not from gluten. It was from the gums used in many dental impression materials....I am sensitive to gums.

I did extensive research on dental materials and was never able to find any which contained gluten. You should always check labels but you'll be hard pressed to find any dental material which contains it. This is one of those Celiac myths that just keeps going. The only thing that may be cause for concern are mouthwashes. Flavorings rarely contain gluten. I use the flavored toothpaste they clean my teeth with with zero problems and I am an extremely sensitive Celiac. Ditto for floss...it is not a concern.

Last note.....you cannot be glutened by gloves, period. They don't contain gluten. Most dentists do not use powdered gloves because the gloves go in your mouth. There is no gluten in powder, either...it's powder. Unless you have a sensitivity to latex, the gloves won't hurt you. Numbing agents, cements, etc., etc., etc......all good! If they weren't, I would be constantly sick. I spend way too much time in the dentist's chair, have researched the hell out of it and it is not a cause for worry. Of course, a Celiac should always read labels but you also need to invest some time in learning the truth about what will harm you because there is enough false information floating around here lately to do more harm than gluten.

Now,go to your appointment and don't sweat it. You'll be fine!

Greyhound Rookie
There is no gluten in powder, either...it's powder.

But what's the powder made of?

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Hi everyone,

-Miriam

If you had a problem after the cleaning mention it to your dentist. Mine uses plain pumice and was more than willing to check to make sure that all he used was safe. He said the only thing he needed to changed was what he used to polish my teeth. Whether he actually found the stuff he usually used had gluten or was just being on the safe side I don't know.

Most dentists use non-powdered non-latex gloves so the gloves shouldn't have been an issue.

kareng Grand Master

But what's the powder made of?

I was reading & it said corn starch for those particular gloves. It also said powdered gloves are falling out of favor but still used.

TiaMichi2 Apprentice

Thanks everyone, your replies have been quite helpful. :D

I will call my Dentist, and verify with her if she uses powdered gloves or not. The doubght over the Powder started with being told that they sometimes can add flour to make Powder.

So my only concern will be if I have to have a crown, because they will have to take an impression of my molar, since it sounds like the gum they use is a problem.

Here I go....wish me luck.....

-Miriam

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I will call my Dentist, and verify with her if she uses powdered gloves or not. The doubght over the Powder started with being told that they sometimes can add flour to make Powder.

So my only concern will be if I have to have a crown, because they will have to take an impression of my molar, since it sounds like the gum they use is a problem.

-Miriam

Not everyone is sensitive to the gums. I have had many impressions done and never had a reaction. My dentist did check on the impression material as far as gluten goes and in my case it was gluten free.

Wishing you good luck and hoping the repair to your tooth goes well.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

-Miriam

I don't know who told you that flour is added to the gloves to make powder but that's nonsense. Do the research and don't automatically assume what someone says is correct as there is so much bad information out there. There are those who think there is flour in everything.

Powder is usually always talc or cornstarch and cornstarch is the preferred ingredient because talc can cause problems for some. Powdered gloves are falling out of favor because gloves are used in medical and dental offices and powder will contaminate things. It's not a gluten issue. Also, do not rely on a dentist or doctor to tell you if something is gluten free....they really don't have a clue. It's up to the Celiac to determine if something is gluten-free or not...much safer that way. You can always ask here if you are unsure.

The crown material will be fine. I only reacted once and it was because they had to take multiple impressions so I swallowed too much junk. When I have one impression done only, I don't have a problem. But as has been stated, not everyone is sensitive to gums. Trust me, the dental bill will be more of a worry than gluten! :P

TiaMichi2 Apprentice

Thanks Raven, I will check on the Gums also. :)

FernW Rookie

I am allergic to Latex so my dentist, and I also go a lot, used none latex gloves, there is no powder or anything in them. I have never had a gluten reaction at the dentist, just heart palputations from the bill.

TiaMichi2 Apprentice

I am allergic to Latex so my dentist, and I also go a lot, used none latex gloves, there is no powder or anything in them. I have never had a gluten reaction at the dentist, just heart palputations from the bill.

Thanks FernW, for your reply. Will check on the Latex also, but as far as I know, I've never been sensitive to it.

:)

Archived