35 replies to this topic

#16 Ninja

Ninja

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

I don't think a lot of people "get it"... even those who are aware of Celiac. Honestly, when people say things like that I think it has more to do with them and less to do with you; they just don't feel comfortable with the way they look. It's unfortunate that they cannot get over themselves for a moment to admire the way you look instead of being self-depreciating, but it is what it is (and we all have our moments). I guess I would just focus on which symptoms of yours have improved and pick a few of them to mention to those who just want to focus on the weight. It is very frustrating though – I've had to stop myself from going off on a few people more than once. :P

~Laura

Gluten Free 2/12 

Let the soul speak with the silent articulation of a face

~Rumi

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:34 PM

At least I am one of those people who carry my fat well...curves in ALL the right places! HaHaHa!!! :rolleyes: :lol: :D I'm GREATFUL for THAT! LOL

Lol :-D You go girl!

I am overweight, but my fat is also distributed. My weight always goes up and down, ranging between 149 lb and 160 lb, and I'm 164cm tall.
Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

#18 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:38 PM

Me neither, MOMMIDA. :( Sitting on a cushion right now, although some of it has come back. More oomph, but still not right.

My butt and boobs, once perky and full, just fell. No muscle mass. Flat pancakes back there. Not funny at all. My legs and arms were like sticks and I hurt just to wear clothes. My ribs and pelvis hurt so bad ---as if I had been run over by a truck.

Everything HURT--to sit, stand, walk or lie down.
For 3 years.
It was excruciating HELL.
I am still in rehab 16 months after DX.
Pics of me from this time reveal an old woman who looks like she
is having cancer treatments. People I know gasped when they saw me. The doc who treats me now, looked at them and said "Oh NO, that's not right!" (yet no doc thought this significant?)

Yeah, Celiac is a great way to become a walking skeleton.

You're not called a warrior princess for nothing :-)

It's just hard to be able to understand what a person is going through without being in their shoes.
Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

#19 Greyhound

Greyhound

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:54 AM

Some people just make you go
???:blink: ???
I'm very skinny and whilst I've always been slim, I've become underweight and my cheeks have become a bit hollow but it didn't stop someone at work asking me the other day (not jokingly) 'do you think you'll start to lose weight now you're on this diet?' (she knows I'm 'on a diet' because of an intolerance and not to lose weight). What a stupid thing to say.
Blood test results normal. I refuse to eat gluten for a biopsy. Gluten-free since 15th April. Things slowly improving :-)

#20 Finally@45

Finally@45

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:16 AM

All good responses. I tend not to be a sarcastic person and I'm pretty modest. I'll have to work harder at not being so sensitive!

When a person is struggling with their weight and they see a thin person who seems to "have it so easy"...especially if their comments seem riddled with jealousy, they need to be reminded that there is so much more to our relationships than judging how the other looks (or eats).

To my fellow Celiacs on the thin side, I didn't get the big butt or boobs gene either(correct, I can't sit on a hard surface for long!) Those genes, those genes. They even decide where the fat goes. Better to accentuate the positive than dwell on the negative. :lol:
Celiac symptoms since childhood, with no diagnoses til age 45
Celiac diagnoses & went gluten free summer 2011
Severely fructose intolerant, primarily from corn, w/IBS June 2012

Celebrating each day of feeling GOOD.

#21 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,375 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:25 AM

Better to accentuate the positive than dwell on the negative. :lol:

Honey, I'm with you! And that is true about anything in life, yes?! yes! ;)

And for those who ask, yes! thank you for your concern, I am doing better. Symptoms resolve gradually. I keep my eye on the prize: total recovery.

Dani, I say what you say all the time--about walking in someone's shoes.

If you haven't lived it, you just do not get it.
You guys get it. ;)

Cheers all, IH

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#22 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:52 AM

Take some Biotin for the floppy girls. ;)
My girls seemed to think after feeding two kids they were headed south for retirement. Started taking Biotin for hair/ nail growth and they perked back up. :D :D
Michigan

#23 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,375 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:59 AM

My girls seemed to think after feeding two kids they were headed south for retirement. Started taking Biotin for hair/ nail growth and they perked back up. :D :D

Well, I started taking it for the hair loss, but if the girls benefit as well, then YEEHAW! and...thanks for the tip. :lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#24 sreese68

sreese68

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:09 AM

I'm 43, have 4 kids, and wear a size 2 (0 at Gap). Lost about 15 pounds after going gluten free and figuring out my multiple food intolerances. I'd love to add a few pounds, but I honestly struggle to keep my weight where it is. Sometimes I wish I could post on FB "So excited! Gained a pound back! Only took a week this time instead of 2!" or "So frustrated. Took a trip and lost 2 pounds" but I know that wouldn't be well received...

When I tell people I have to work hard to maintain my weight, I hear "That must be a good problem to have!" I am SO tired of hearing this! If it's someone I think I'll end up friending, I tell them more. Then I tell them how bad I feel when I drop under a certain weight and how it isn't fun to have to force eat more corn pasta with olive oil or potatoes (no dairy) or peanut butter. I tell them what I can't eat and how hard it is to eat out. After all that I usually hear "Wow! That must be hard."

One friend I hadn't seen in 20 years asked how I stayed so slim at the beginning of our conversation. I said "autoimmune disease." LOL! Not sure i'd do that with a stranger.
Sharon
gluten-free March 2011
Failed gluten challenge May 2011
Diagnosed celiac 5/25/11

#25 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:11 AM

There is no evidence of toxic level of Biotin. So it seems to be safe. I did have to find that right amount for me to take. :D :D :D :D I love the results and have more energy.
Michigan

#26 Victoria6102

Victoria6102

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:18 AM

I've been both overweight and underweight. I must say, I liked being skinny and fitting into cute clothes, and being able to eat as much as I want without gaining weight. I hate being overweight and not fitting into very much, wishing I was back in the skinny body. No matter how hard I try, I can't lose weight. In my opinion, it was way better to be underweight than overweight. Lots of people who are overweight are trying to be as skinny as you but can't. Don't get mad at them! Sure, maybe they don't understand celiac but did you understand it before you went gluten free? I sure didn't!:P us chubby people have it hard too!:( :'(

#27 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:19 AM

Face it guys and gals.. Those who are fatter want to get thinner, and those thinner want to get fatter! Those who are neither thin nor fat probably don't like their bodies either haha :-)
I would say "let's all just be happy about our looks and be thankful of what we have", but then I would be a hypocrite!
Also G6PD

#28 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:30 AM

Face it guys and gals.. Those who are fatter want to get thinner, and those thinner want to get fatter! Those who are neither thin nor fat probably don't like their bodies either haha :-)
I would say "let's all just be happy about our looks and be thankful of what we have", but then I would be a hypocrite!

Yep. And if they do like their bodies, then they have issues with their hair
or nose
or something else
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#29 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:35 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yay!!!...Biotin shall be the shovel to shore up my LANDSLIDE...LOL!!! :P THANKYOU....My nails and hair have been suffering as well and I had NO idea what to do :blink: ...seriously...THANKYOU for this advice!!! :lol:
( and when you gain a few and your kids are hiting thier teens and twenties....THATS A LOT OF SLIDEN goin on...LOL!!!)Time to PUSH those girls backup the hill!...I'm exagerating...its not THAT bad! will be soon ...definatly no time like the present for previntitive measures though!)Anymore secrets of YOUTH you ladies want to share? LOL :P
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11
Celiacs/casein sensitive/lactose intolerent

Favorite quotes-
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!!!"-anonyamous

"you can lead a donkey to the river...but if you want him to drink...
you have to throw him in" -(21 yr.old son)

#30 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,375 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:16 AM

Yep. And if they do like their bodies, then they have issues with their hair
or nose
or something else

Yep. It's what keeps plastic surgeons in Jaguars and beach front vacation homes.

It is a rare one who is "comfy" in her own skin,

realizing she is beautiful, just as she is.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: