Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Why Do Gluten Free Breads, Bagels Etc Have To Be Frozen?

• Please log in to reply

11 replies to this topic

#1 123glldd

123glldd

Advanced Community Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:40 AM

Hello! I'm new to the forum :) Me and my husband have been trying to get gluten free now for a while. We visited a Whole Foods for the first time the other day. My husband use to LOVE Dunkin Donuts Everything Bagels....to our shock Whole Foods had gluten free everything bagels. So we brought it home and when my husband went to make it he noticed that they are still doughy and not even cooked. Between this and the fact that gluten free bread seems to need to be frozen...we're confused. Is there something in gluten that allows bread to not be frozen? Is there a particular reason all bread products are frozen? Aside from this we're even more confused as we just bought gluten free hamburger and hotdog buns...but they were not frozen at Whole Foods. It's just something we wanted to understand. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

They do not have a lot of preservatives in them and so they spoil quickly. Also, many brands come frozen so they can be shipped to places where gluten-free products are not readily available.

They appear "doughy" because gluten-free baked goods have no gluten in them and so xantham gum or guar gum is used to re-create that elasticity and binds it together, helping it rise.

Once you get past that "gummy" thing, you do not notice it anymore.

http://glutenfreecoo...hanguargums.htm

Toasting the bagel helps.

It's just the way it is with some gluten-free products. We have to substitute for the loss of gluten in wheat flour and gums provide that. If you overdo it, it can be very gummy indeed.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:47 AM

The typical shelf life of gluten free foods is not as long as the gluten-filled foods. Plus, not as many people buy gluten free and the turnover at the grocery store can be unpredictable. In order to keep items in stock from going bad, they are often frozen.

As far as the nonfrozen buns that you just bought, I would say that was because the store got them out of the freezer and let them come up to room temperature before stocking them . . . that's just my guess, as I have bought really cold (must be thawing) Udi's bread at my local Krogers.

In my experience, the Udi's buns (and bagels) do seem to start molding fairly quickly, so I would use immediately or put in your freezer.

Throw in the fact that you just paid an arm and a leg for these bread products and you'll want to make sure you actually get to use them and not have to throw them out because of mold.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#4 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:54 AM

The whole foods by me, brings the gluten-free breads, etc out of thier freezer and thaws them on the shelf. They are shipped frozen. Most gluten-free bread isn't made locally, so it's frozen for traveling and storage by the store. Canyon Bakehouse told me this. A lot of the regular bread in the grocery is made nearby and shipped & on the shelf within a few hours to a day of baking. It's shipped straight from the bakery by company trucks, in large amounts. gluten-free bread is needed in small quantities so shipping would be different.

There are a few products that are partially cooked with directions to finish them in your oven.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#5 TiaMichi2

TiaMichi2

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:26 AM

In my area, it depends where I go, at Ralphs, it is the freezer. At Wholefoods, it on the shelf. Either way when I bring it home, it goes straight to the freezer, till it is time to use and then i thaw it overnight in the refrigerator.

When I am ready to eat it, it is always toasted, or zapped in the Micro for 10 sec. which makes it soft like freshly baked......yummmm!

I am a bread lover, so gluten-free bread took me a while to get used to, but I did. So far the best bread to me is Udis's.

Hope this helps :)

-Miriam

#6 killernj13

killernj13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:08 PM

trader joes does not freeze their Udi's breads and rolls where most other stores I have bought them in do.

#7 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

Thanks so much for helping me understand this. I was kinda confused. I love Rudi's bread and my husband had a gluten free everything bagel and he LIKES IT! Yay!! :D lol

#8 julissa

julissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

I found this thread while searching for an answer to a question I have. hope someone can help me. I am going away this weekend and want to bring a package of udis bagels I just got. I don't know if there will be a fridge in my hotel room. how long do you think they could stay out for?

thanks in advance

#9 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

Eh, if you had just bought them, i'd think they'd be fine.

#10 julissa

julissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

thanks, I just bought them today, are still frozen. I figured I would take them with me. I just called the hotel, no fridges in the room. so they'd be out till Sunday.

#11 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

Some hotels will mysteriously make a room fridge appear if you have a medical necessity. 

Otherwise, keep them frozen until you leave, then you can slow down the thaw with packing a little ice chest with you, then refilling it there with hotel ice - be sure to bring extra plastic bags to keep the food dry.  

Don't forget to keep your warming or toasting gluten-free bagel away from other surfaces that have had regular bagels on them, so use your own toaster or some sort of covering appropriate for whatever heating device you end up with.  

#12 julissa

julissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

thanks all!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: