This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Help! Need Some Substitutions For Baking...

Triplatte

Triplatte Newbie

Hello everyone!

I'm new here. :) My son was recently tested for food sensitivities and WHEAT, DAIRY, SUNFLOWER, GREEN PEPPERS & SHELL FISH came back as highly reactive for him. In addition, moderately reactive but also very close behind the "high" reactors were SOY, TAPIOCA, COCONUT, CAROB, LECITHIN, WALNUT and several other things. ALMOND, CORN & EGGS are also IFFY. We have had him on the Feingold Diet program for the last 6 weeks which basically eliminates all artificial flavors, colors & preservatives, but we really saw a HUGE improvement in his behavior after removing gluten & dairy--those foods were making him hyperactive! A week after removing gluten & dairy, we had our calm, pleasant, fun-to-be-around son back again!! We were AMAZED and so grateful for going with our gut and having the food sensitivity test done on him.

I would like to find recipes for bread, pancakes, cookies, etc. for him that don't have any of those ingredients. This has been difficult! Commercially sold gluten-free items almost always have soy, tapioca, or sunflower added into their mixes which we are trying to avoid.

He does really well with rice products/flours and buckwheat, and we have replaced dairy milk with Pacific brand hemp milk. We are testing out gluten-free oats, as well as eggs. I am a baker by trade so I feel like I can get pretty creative with recipes, but I've been so focused on getting his basic diet on track that I've had little time to think about the secondary things.

Any suggestions would be welcomed and appreciated!!! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lizard00 Enthusiast

Hey and welcome!

I bake, too. I do bread with half sorghum and half tapioca. And I sell a ton of it!!! Way better than Udi's or anything else I've tried in the store. Basically you need the starch to lighten it up. I love sorghum over rice flour any day of the week.

I will send you a few more things that I do. I would share them with anyone here, but I don't want to post them publicly for anyone doing a search online. :lol: You know how valuable some recipes are.

auzzi Newbie

Based on Bette Hagman's Original Rice Flour Blend

6 c Rice Flour

OR

6 c brown Rice Flour

OR

3 c white ric flour and 3 c brown rice flour

OR

3 c brown rice and 3 c soy flour

AND

2 c Potato Starch

AND

1 c arrowroot [real stuff not tapioca starch]

Carol Fenster

Triplatte Newbie

Thank you both SO much for the info!! It's exactly what I was looking for!

Auzzi, my son can actually have some of the flours you mentioned: Amaranth flour, buckwheat flour, millet flour, and quinoa flour. I've never heard of teff flour, but I will look for it. I do have white & brown rice flours, buckwheat flour, quinoa flour, arrowroot & potato starch, but wasn't sure how to mix them to get the lighter gluten-free bread.

Thanks again!

Takala Enthusiast

I think you can use some of my recipes, if you just substitute for the almond meal I have in some of them.

You can take chia seed and soak it in cold water to make an egg "gel". ( I eat eggs, but I will play around with recipes because I don't do flax. ) You can also do this with soaking plain psyllium in warm water. Buckwheat and amaranth are both more sticky than some other flours and do not need as much "gum," if at all. Mashed sweet potato or sweet potato flour gives a nice result sometimes, as does adding canned pumpkin.

Gluten Free gum free yeast free vegan buckwheat mini loaf (will need to omit almond and substitute what you want to get the total flours to 1 and 1/4 cup)

_______

gluten-free Buckwheat pancake or flatbread (this is so easy and works so well, and it's Eggless !) just uses buckwheat, potato starch, and garbanzo flour

can't get the link to come up easily, hmm.

Take a heaping tablespoon each of buckwheat flour, potato starch, and garbanzo flour

pinch salt, pinch cream of tartar, dash baking soda about 1/8 teasp

spices, if desired, sweetener, if desired

mix with

teaspoon of olive or other oil

1/2 teas lemon juice or pure apple cider vinegar

small spoon of agave, molasses, or honey, if desired, or some stevia

enough water to make a thick pancake batter

Combine and pour into heated oiled skillet, cook until bubbles come thru and edges start to dry out a little, and the bottom is browned, then flip w/ spatula and finish cooking. Makes one pancake.

_________

This quick skillet bread works if you sub buckwheat for the almond meal, and use chia or flax gel or egg substitute. Amaranth and sorghum are the other two flours, and with molasses this is like cornbread, sans corn

scroll down the thread for recipe

_________

And of course, Bun In the Cup. This can be done eggless with the above mixture for buckwheat pancake flours. I have done this microwave recipe with many different flours, and with tweaking, all of them work, even with no eggs, if you use certain flours. Might take chia or flax gel for some types.

Archived