This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cramp Types?

dani nero

dani nero Community Regular

I'm wondering what gluten cramps feel like? Can everyone try to describe theirs? What area of the abdomen, are the lower-back and or sides, thighs/ legs involved? is it stabbing or pinching type? does it just come or come and go? Is it on the left, right or center? Stuff like that, anything you could think of?

Edit: Also, can you please specify if it's a one time thing, or lasts for a few days, and how long each cramp episode lasts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

For me it is a whole abdomen thing. It feels like some giant has grabbed my intestines and is twisting them into a knot. I can't straighten up and often will break out in a cold sweat and feel like I am going to pass out.

GFreeMO Proficient

Mine feels like someone filled my intestines with glass, bees and cement. It almost feels like what I would think a bowel blockage would feel like. Trapped gas and severe pain. Mostly on my left low side but it moves around throughout all of the lower abdomen. I can actually feel the damage moving through. It starts higher up and goes lower and lower. When the pain subsides, I get mucus and gas coming out. It's so painful, I just about can't stand it.

Ninja Contributor

At first I feel like my intestines are being tied in knots while glass is trying to pass through – I often get nauseous, the cold sweats and (sometimes) throw up with it. Occasionally (usually a few days after being glutened), I'll get a stabbing kind of cramping either on the lower left or lower right side of my abdomen. My upper abdomen typically feels like it's been "blown up" when the latter happens.

Edit to add: good thread idea! :)

Treated Celiac Newbie

I hardly ever get cramps in my small intestine area. Often I get them in the large intestine. It only happens in the small intestine when I'm glutenned. When I do get glutenned it's like a bee sting inside and I pass out on the floor. :(

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Well, I have limited experience with glutening symptoms because I was never one that obviously reacted (well, maybe over 10 years ago..).

The one time I am pretty sure I was glutened I felt like I'd been caned - more like the flu - a rock in my stomach and all of my muscles ached.

This last time I think I was glutened it was my stomach (directly under my ribs) that clenched, knotted and swelled....followed by too much stomach acid.

Next night I had muscle cramps all downy legs into my feet. That continued off and on all day. I get a twinge here and there - sometimes just muscles jumping.

I'm still getting the clenching stomach/acid thing every other day or so - I'm on day 5 now???? This is all new to me (well, I had these symptoms in my late 20's but they went away).

Thank you guys! I was asking because I had seriously painful cramps last night.. I was about to scream. They were in my lower-left (front and back) parts of my abdomen and around the center. It started feeling like my left side was tied into a knot together with my left thigh muscles with faint cramps, but got more and more painful. At first I thought it could have been due to the constipation I'm having, so I took a laxative and went to the toilet shortly after. But the pain started getting worse, so then I thought perhaps my appendix decided to explode, or maybe trapped gasses, and then I thought it might have been another kidney stone. My husband wrapped a blanket around my stomach and force-fed me an espresso (he believed it was trapped gasses and coffee would induce some more bowel movements). The cramps did start to ease 15 minutes after and I fell asleep while they were going away. I woke up pain-free this morning.

We did have chicken from a restaurant on the 29th and 30th.. but I've never had gluten cramps before, so thought I'd ask. Is it possible to "start" getting them out of the blue?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Well, I have limited experience with glutening symptoms because I was never one that obviously reacted (well, maybe over 10 years ago..).

The one time I am pretty sure I was glutened I felt like I'd been caned - more like the flu - a rock in my stomach and all of my muscles ached.

This last time I think I was glutened it was my stomach (directly under my ribs) that clenched, knotted and swelled....followed by too much stomach acid.

Next night I had muscle cramps all downy legs into my feet. That continued off and on all day. I get a twinge here and there - sometimes just muscles jumping.

I'm still getting the clenching stomach/acid thing every other day or so - I'm on day 5 now???? This is all new to me (well, I had these symptoms in my late 20's but they went away).

Day 5? Prickly, maybe it's time to call the doctor? :-(

Hell no.

Been there, done that. They will give me acid reducers (which I can buy OTC).

I'm getting my old skill of visualization back - breathe deep and imagine the pain going away and the acid stopping. It works. Like biofeedback for high bp.

I just hope it's gluten (and therefore will pass), not some other food issue. That would suck lemons.

I am positive I got glutened about a month ago, but I didn't have any cramps then.. I just had lower-left abdominal (back and side) pain when I moved.

Well, the longer you're off gluten, the stronger your gluten reaction (usually). And yes, of you didn't have obvious gluten signs then you can develop them or you can develop new ones. I think that's what is happening to me.

Hell no.

Been there, done that. They will give me acid reducers (which I can buy OTC).

I'm getting my old skill of visualization back - breathe deep and imagine the pain going away and the acid stopping. It works. Like biofeedback for high bp.

I just hope it's gluten (and therefore will pass), not some other food issue. That would suck lemons.

Well keep us posted on this! If it continues and when it stops. I also hope you're not reacting to another food or that something else is wrong. I have to say it's nice to see people with good mental control.. You're not freaking out at all. I tend to get paranoid in the beginning and my mind starts to wander :-)

Well, the longer you're off gluten, the stronger your gluten reaction (usually). And yes, of you didn't have obvious gluten signs then you can develop them or you can develop new ones. I think that's what is happening to me.

Honestly, I really do hope it's a gluten-cramp. I know this might sound wrong to some people here but life would be so much easier for me if I have a clear sign that I've been glutened, then I wouldn't have to keep thinking and monitoring myself. It was like I had to be a little paranoid all the time in order to keep myself healthy. Having a clear signal would mean I would know for sure if something's wrong and I wouldn't have to be tracking something that's not visible!

Also, can you please specify if it's a one time thing, or lasts for a few days, and how long each cramp episode lasts?

Ninja Contributor

My the worst of my reactions (cramping, nausea, "D", etc etc.) last for about a week and they aren't always constant. I'll usually have constant nausea, pain or discomfort but the cramps themselves tend to... pulsate (???) kinda – can't think of the right word. :P Then the bloating and a few residual cramping lasts for about another week... it worsens when I eat.

The cramps for me tend to be somewhere between 5 min-25is min, I think... not that long.

Is it possible to "start" getting them out of the blue?

I never had rashes before I went gluten-free and now every time I'm glutened I get a rash! It's totally possible for your body to change the way it reacts to gluten.

GFreeMO Proficient

My the worst of my reactions (cramping, nausea, "D", etc etc.) last for about a week and they aren't always constant. I'll usually have constant nausea, pain or discomfort but the cramps themselves tend to... pulsate (???) kinda

Archived