5 replies to this topic

#1 CathyB

CathyB

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:15 PM

I cannot seem to lose edema and weight since I've been on celiac diet. All my other sypmtoms have improved but weight gain or loss seems almost unrelated to what I eat and how much exercise I've had. The edema keeps getting worse despite being on a mild diuretic. Everyone else seems to have less edema but mine is worsening. I have been gluten free completely (I hope) since January.
Help please!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 dani nero

dani nero

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:45 PM

Having celiac doesn't mean you lose weight or gain it. It's seriously different from person to person. Some people gain, some lose, and some are unaffected, and regardless of how much they weighed before going gluten free.

What you can do is to minimize or eliminate processed and ready-made foods (and grains if you're willing) from your diet, and stick to cooking with natural foods that don't require a label to know what's in them. Also 20 min of motion a day if you don't already have the habit (at least two hours a week would be good) to keep your metabolism in check.

This is not a diet, it's just that your body type probably doesn't handle grains and processed foods so well, and it's telling you that by storing fat.
Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

#3 CathyB

CathyB

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:43 AM

Having celiac doesn't mean you lose weight or gain it. It's seriously different from person to person. Some people gain, some lose, and some are unaffected, and regardless of how much they weighed before going gluten free.

What you can do is to minimize or eliminate processed and ready-made foods (and grains if you're willing) from your diet, and stick to cooking with natural foods that don't require a label to know what's in them. Also 20 min of motion a day if you don't already have the habit (at least two hours a week would be good) to keep your metabolism in check.

This is not a diet, it's just that your body type probably doesn't handle grains and processed foods so well, and it's telling you that by storing fat.

Thanks so much for your input!

#4 TeknoLen

TeknoLen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:58 AM

You might consider lifting some weights also, assuming your joints do not protest. Something simple like dumbell curls or push ups. The act of pushing the muscles burns some calories but the real benefit is that any added muscle burns more calories just by virtue of being there.
  • self-dx gluten-sensitive 2007 but did not take it seriously
  • dx autoimmune Graves hyperthyroidism 9-7-11
  • second opinion doctor confirmed autoimmune hyperthyroid dx, suggested possible autoimmune thyroid-gluten sensitivity connection
  • medication-induced hyperthyroid remission 11-4-11
  • lab test dx gluten, casein, ovalbumin, and soy sensitive 12-15-11
  • taking diet seriously now, strict GFCFSF diet...

#5 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

I cannot seem to lose edema and weight since I've been on celiac diet. All my other sypmtoms have improved but weight gain or loss seems almost unrelated to what I eat and how much exercise I've had. The edema keeps getting worse despite being on a mild diuretic. Everyone else seems to have less edema but mine is worsening. I have been gluten free completely (I hope) since January.
Help please!

Have you had your thyroid checked ??

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#6 CathyB

CathyB

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

I do take thyroid supplements but the last time it was checked, it was normal. I'm wondering if it could be inadequate absorption of protein. Apparently this can cause edema, especially in lower limbs which is where my problem is worse. Any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: