This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rice Cooker?

user853

user853 Apprentice

I am a quinoa girl myself, but the family loves rice, especially wild rice. All the wild rice mixes that are gluten-free are not that great. So, I have made it a few times from scratch. I suck at cooking rice, apparently. Plus, it takes FOREVER and I just don't have that kind of time after work.

Can anyone recommend a rice cooker that I can cook rice with broth instead of water, include veggies (onion, garlic, etc.) and has a delay start timer so it can start while I am still sitting in traffic? Also, if the cooker has another function (besides rice), that would be great too. My husband is getting sick of my kitchen gadets. ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

You just described the perfect personal chef. :).

Sorry, have nothing for you EXCEPT you can partially cook some grains and freeze, then finish cooking them later. That would allow you to batch cook, and shorten your cook time when you get home.

Or, maybe you could adapt it to a crock pot?

eeyorelvr Newbie

I use broth's as well as diced tomatoes in my rice cooker, it is made by Oyster, a cup or two of rice takes about 10-15 minutes. But it doesn't have a timer.

Mizzo Enthusiast

I am a quinoa girl myself, but the family loves rice, especially wild rice. All the wild rice mixes that are gluten-free are not that great. So, I have made it a few times from scratch. I suck at cooking rice, apparently. Plus, it takes FOREVER and I just don't have that kind of time after work.

Can anyone recommend a rice cooker that I can cook rice with broth instead of water, include veggies (onion, garlic, etc.) and has a delay start timer so it can start while I am still sitting in traffic? Also, if the cooker has another function (besides rice), that would be great too. My husband is getting sick of my kitchen gadets. ;)

My rice cooker also includes a steamer basket and I have included broth , tomaoes and bags of frozen veggies into the rice. No timer though . It's a Rival.

Pauliewog Contributor

Look into a Japanese rice cooker like Zojirushi. Not cheap but they have all sorts of bells and whistles. There are different functions for white or brown rice. They have a timer. Mine is quite old but the newer once I have seen look great.

Minette Contributor

We have a Zojirushi and we love it. We've had it for at least 10 years and no problems. I don't use the timer function often, but it was quite intuitive (which was good since I had lost the instructions by then) when I did try it.

I only cook rice with water (so far), but I know you can use it with broth, etc. I assume you could throw veggies in there as well.

The nonstick pot is also key.

It has settings for brown rice, white rice, sushi rice, and "fast cook" (which basically uses higher heat -- it cooks faster but uses more water, I think), plus various other things we've never explored.

missy'smom Collaborator

Check Asian markets. We've used National/Panasonic for decades. It is the workhorse of our kitchen. The newer models are investments but they really pay off. The only reason we got a newer one after more than 10 years on our old one was because the newer one was given to us and had a few more functions. Our old one was still going strong. I add veggies, stock etc. and cook brown rice or mixed grain rice all the time.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

user853 Apprentice

Thanks Everyone!

Archived