2 replies to this topic

#1 Trudyjerry

Trudyjerry

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

Now I get to go in to be scoped from both ends. Just wondering if colitis is in any way shape or form related to celiac's or gluten sensitivity. I apparently do have a gluten sensitivity, we are just working on to what extend. I do not have to go back on gluten for the endoscopy though. That actually makes me wonder exactly what he thinks he's going to find with me having been gluten free for the last three months. At least he's not demanding that I torture myself for the upcoming tests with gluten. I just get to torture myself by cleaning out my system. Any ideas on making it easier?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,681 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:09 PM

If you have been gluten free for 3 months your celiac testing will be negative almost certainly. Your doctor can rule out other problems but not celiac.
Eat lightly for a day or two before the prep. Other than that making sure the prep is good and cold can make it easier to take.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 cyberprof

cyberprof

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:55 PM

Now I get to go in to be scoped from both ends. Just wondering if colitis is in any way shape or form related to celiac's or gluten sensitivity. I apparently do have a gluten sensitivity, we are just working on to what extend. I do not have to go back on gluten for the endoscopy though. That actually makes me wonder exactly what he thinks he's going to find with me having been gluten free for the last three months. At least he's not demanding that I torture myself for the upcoming tests with gluten. I just get to torture myself by cleaning out my system. Any ideas on making it easier?

Trudyjerry, welcome. I've had both tests and while the prep for colonscopy isn't fun, it's not horrendous. Eat lightly for the whole week before. My doc gave me a chart. https://www.virginia..._fiber_2010.pdf No red-colored food (jello etc), no nuts or seeds or rough or raw veggies for a few days before, then the liquid diet as per doctor's orders.

Adults don't heal from gluten damage for up to 5 years, so it's possible that the endoscopy WILL show damage, but at least you know that you should be gluten-free even if the endoscopy is negative for celiac. And it's not a waste to have the endoscopy - the prep for colonscopy has to be done anyway and you get two-for-one ...only one prep, one anesthesia, one recovery, one day off work/out of commission, one $$$ charge for doctor. They also might find something else (ulcer, Barrett's) so it's good to have the screening if you have GI troubles.

Yes, colitis can be related to celiac and my GI told me that celiac predisposes one to geting colitis - specifically microscopic colitis. See wikipedia here. http://en.wikipedia....oscopic_colitis The other thing is that untreated celiac increases the risk for intestinal cancers for up to five years after going gluten-free, so it's good that you're getting that checked too, just to be safe. It's rare but possible.

Best of luck, I'm sure it will go fine and will be over before you know it. I planned a great gluten-free meal for afterwards (a Jamba juice smoothie on the way home plus Amy's brand mac-n-cheese and a small gluten-free brownie) and got to watch videos all afternoon instead of being at work or doing housework. If you get queasy easily, you might have some gluten-free crackers or pretzels to eat in the car on the way home.
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: