This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mcdonalds Fries

ashesmom

ashesmom Rookie

Hey, I was wondering if anyone with Celiac has had no problems with McDonalds fries. My 5 year old daughter was diagnosed 6 months ago, and we just got her labs re-checked and her "celiac level" Or whatever which was over 150 is now down to 32, so I was wondering if she maybe has a milder case, maybe we could try the fries, just occasionally; You all probably know it is tough not letting your kid eat at McDonalds when others are constantly....She was invited to a b-day party there in a few weeks and I know the potatoes are gluten-free, it's just the oil it is cooked in could have cross-contamination?? How much though? Any thoughts??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mizzo Enthusiast

Sorry, but, the only safe Mc Donalds fries are when they change the oil and your order is the first order cooked, all by itself.

Lisa Mentor

Hey, I was wondering if anyone with Celiac has had no problems with McDonalds fries. My 5 year old daughter was diagnosed 6 months ago, and we just got her labs re-checked and her "celiac level" Or whatever which was over 150 is now down to 32, so I was wondering if she maybe has a milder case, maybe we could try the fries, just occasionally; You all probably know it is tough not letting your kid eat at McDonalds when others are constantly....She was invited to a b-day party there in a few weeks and I know the potatoes are gluten-free, it's just the oil it is cooked in could have cross-contamination?? How much though? Any thoughts??

Glad to know that her levels are down...that's a good thing.

McDonald's fries have been independently test, and concluded that they are safe to consume for those who have Celiac Disease.

This is the most discussed topic on this Forum. Some eat them, some don't.

I eat them from time to time and have had no issue.

Darn210 Enthusiast

Lots of discussion on these fries. If you read some of the other threads, you'll see that McDonald's only cooks the fries and the hashbrowns at the fry station (which is closer to the front). A separate fryer station farther back is used for the chicken and fish.

My daughter eats the fries. She does not have a problem with them. She gets a small fry, a side salad and a root beer and she is McHappy. When she was younger, I used to get the happy meal so that she could get the toy.

Do what works for you/your daughter.

krystynycole Contributor

I personally don't eat them...they tend to give the big D and I'll be in the bathroom for awhile. I know others can tolerate them just fine. It's a big debate around here!

raea2002 Apprentice

French Fries:

Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*, citric acid [preservative]), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain color), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness). Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent.

CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK.

*(Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients).

This was taken from their allergen information. Mdont know if this helps. M

Lisa Mentor

F

CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK.

*(Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients).

This was taken from their allergen information. Mdont know if this helps. M

Yes, it's true. But the wheat in the starting ingredient has been soooooo very processed that it's rendered gluten free.

In an effort of full disclosure, McD's has been honorable. The fries have been tested to be below the level that Celiacs can safely

consume.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

deb445 Rookie

I wonder if it makes a difference based on where you're located?

Meaning, Canada or the U.S. ? I'm in Ontario.

I am VERY sensitive but I can always count on the boys and I being

able to eat McDonald's fries. No "Happy Meal", but ... you can purchase

the toy separate.

Because we are so sensitive, we can't get away with using handsanitizer

if we're just going through the drive-thru.

deb445 Rookie

I was under the impression that the french frie fryer at McDonalds was separate from the fryer used for nuggets and the like.

Perhaps this is why my kids and I had a bad reaction last summer after stopping at a "chip truck" on our way home from the cottage.

Never again. It took over a month for the lesions to heal.

Mc Donalds is our "faithful" stop when traveling.

Mom2J112903 Newbie

When my son was able to eat,McD's fries were *not* something he could handle.

Archived