3 replies to this topic

#1 Mateto

Mateto

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:04 PM

Well Sunday I had dinner at my Dad's. Chicken which was stuffed with stove-top like dressing. I was given the chicken leg, which was kept separate from the dressing. I then loaded my plate with vegetables, ate, and enjoyed!

Monday however I had a splitting headache, and my stomach was trying to talk to me.

I'm telling you this because this is my first time being glutened since going gluten-free, and it was just....strange. I know it must have been the dressing, and my Dad's ignorance when serving it. He knows I can't eat gluten, but he doesn't grasp cross-contamination.

Anyways it came as a fright, becuase my headache never "progressed". It just hit me like someone hit me with a stick.

I think I've figured out my gluten "signal light".
Gluten-free since St George's Day this year :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,772 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:07 AM

I hope you don't get too ill. It can be hard for us to eat at folks homes that are not gluten free because they don't know all the things we need to do to keep us safe. Many of us eat before we go to gatherings with family and friends or bring our own food for that reason. Hope your feeling better soon.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 Mateto

Mateto

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:40 PM

I hope you don't get too ill. It can be hard for us to eat at folks homes that are not gluten free because they don't know all the things we need to do to keep us safe. Many of us eat before we go to gatherings with family and friends or bring our own food for that reason. Hope your feeling better soon.

Oh I'm completely fine now, it was just a shock as it was my first "glutening" since :P

However I have a feeling this will be happening at LEAST once a week for a little while. I'm trying to press into some people the concept of cross-contamination.

Some people just DON'T get it! I say "would you use the same spoon to used for peanut butter, then put it in a bowl of soup, and give that to someone with a peanut allergy?"

"would you give milk to a lactose intolerant person - once won't hurt?"

It's quite funny because my family is really trying to understand, but this is new for them, but I'd say they'll get the idea within a month. But until them, I'm more than happy to cook for myself :D
Gluten-free since St George's Day this year :)

#4 TEDDYbear777

TEDDYbear777

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:19 PM

Oh I'm completely fine now, it was just a shock as it was my first "glutening" since :P

However I have a feeling this will be happening at LEAST once a week for a little while. I'm trying to press into some people the concept of cross-contamination.

Some people just DON'T get it! I say "would you use the same spoon to used for peanut butter, then put it in a bowl of soup, and give that to someone with a peanut allergy?"

"would you give milk to a lactose intolerant person - once won't hurt?"

It's quite funny because my family is really trying to understand, but this is new for them, but I'd say they'll get the idea within a month. But until them, I'm more than happy to cook for myself :D

Ive been Celiac for a bit now and Ive learned that 0% of people get it, Eating out is the most frustrating.
You just have to learn to deal with people because people wont always learn to deal with you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: