Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Marmite!

16 posts in this topic

...and of course Irish.

How do you enjoy it? Or better yet....CAN you eat it? It's supposed to be gluten-free, and it doesn't bother me....yet, but how 'bout you?

Ads by Google:

I'm australian and therefore used to be a happy little vegemite... alas, no more (vegemite is not gluten free) I'm not bothering witht the gluten free versions because in my experience, the type of spread you eat (marmite, vegemite etc) depends on what you were given as a little kid and all the others taste awful! I used to love it on vita wheat biscuits with butter, when you squeezed them together they made little worms ;-) I also loved it on toast. Vegemite is now one of those childhood things that I'll never ever have again... but I have fond memories so I'm ok about it :P

Vegemite isn't gluten free? That's another difference from Marmite. Marmite is, at least as far as I know. But I know what you mean. For me, just looking at the marmite picture brings a lot of nostalgia!

I'm pretty sure it's an extract from barley. There is a gluten free version though (made by another company)

I thought they were both yeast extracts...so Vegemite is not. I have to look for the gluten free version, now I'm curious!

I thought they were both yeast extracts...so Vegemite is not. I have to look for the gluten free version, now I'm curious!

I'm not sure where you are from but you need to be very very careful with MARMITE. Marmite sold in Australia made by sanitarium is NOT gluten free, this version is sold in a large jar with a orange lid. However the English version of Marmite which is sold in some supermarkets here is gluten free. This version is in a small boulbus shaped jar with a yellow lid. To avoid confusion with the other sort, the english one has been rebranded as Our Mate in most Australian stores. There are however some shops, such as lolly shops who it labeled marmite.

There is a gluten-free spread called mightymite which is meant to be like vegemite. Personally I buy the english marmite becuse I like it better.

Hope I haven't made this more confusing for anyone.

Spread THICKLY :D

Haven't tried it since going gluten free but I've heard it's fine.

Freedom Foods Vege Spread is a gluten-free vegemite replacement.

Three333Threes Mightymite is a gluten-free vegemite replacement.

Vegemite is made from yeast grown on barley and barley malt extract.

Marmite contains derivatives of barley and wheat.

Marmite contains derivatives of barley and wheat.

I thought Marmite was gluten free in the UK but I might be wrong. I must buy a copy of the food directory.

I thought Marmite was gluten free in the UK but I might be wrong. I must buy a copy of the food directory.

Unless it has changed in the last month or two it is. As I mentioned in a previous post there is a product sold in Australia called Marmite but this slightly different to the UK version and not gluten free.

Remember when posting about a particular product it is often helful to add in which country you are in. This helps to avoid confusion as in the above case there can be different products that share the same name, or the product may different ingredients in another country. A good example of this is M&Ms been gluten free in the US but not in Australia.

I am a promite girl, it is the only thing I truly miss, with sweet and sour rye, lashings of butter and just a thing spread of promite - my all time favourite comfort food:(

This thread just inspired me to email masterfoods about promite - haha!

Beebs, are you from Victoria? In my family the NSW raised kids were vegemite kids, but the victorian branch of the family were promite kids.

I hope for you that it's gluten free!

Thank goodness I could never stomach any of the "mites" as a kid - a cheese and marmite sandwich was an automatic trade :rolleyes:

I'm not sure where you are from but you need to be very very careful with MARMITE. Marmite sold in Australia made by sanitarium is NOT gluten free, this version is sold in a large jar with a orange lid. However the English version of Marmite which is sold in some supermarkets here is gluten free. This version is in a small boulbus shaped jar with a yellow lid. To avoid confusion with the other sort, the english one has been rebranded as Our Mate in most Australian stores. There are however some shops, such as lolly shops who it labeled marmite.

There is a gluten-free spread called mightymite which is meant to be like vegemite. Personally I buy the english marmite becuse I like it better.

Hope I haven't made this more confusing for anyone.

Ah, I see :)

You can't get Vegemite here, so I dunna haveta worry. I do buy the one with yellow lid, pot-belly.

But I love it, though it does take a while to finish off a jar, because I like it subtly, not thickly, though if I did spread it thickly I wouldn't complain :P