28 replies to this topic

#1 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 02:44 PM

Malt Diastase is an ingredient in my liquid vitamins. Does anyone know if it contains gluten? I read on another post that its from barley. The vitamins say "does not contain gluten products". The last time I had the vitamins was 1 week ago...I got a reaction later that day but assumed it was something I ate. Everytime I get a reaction I'll stop all supplements or whatever foods might be suspect. Seems like I've been on and off of those vitamins for months now. Now that I'm gluten-free I figured the vitamins were safe due to the labeling which is why I started taking them again. <_<
Rachel

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:54 PM

Hey Rachel:
Malt diastase is derived from BARLEY. So it's GLUTEN!!! I continued to take daily digestive enzymes with malt diastase for 8 months after I went gluten-free and wondered why I wasn't getting complete pain relief. That ingredient is in a LOT of vitamins, supplements and digestive enzymes. I'm certain that's what you reacted to. Sorry ... I hope you can find a gluten-free vitamin substitute.
BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#3 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:10 PM

Well it would definately explain alot. How come the label says its gluten free? Can they just put that on the label even if its false? I would have figured it out alot sooner had it not been for that. Sheeesh. Thanks for letting me know.
Rachel

#4 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 06:31 PM

Did the label say 'gluten free' or 'wheat free'? That can be confusing, but food manufacturers who use barley derivatives will often list their product as 'wheat free'. :( FYI Malt is BARLEY seed which is artifically germinated, dried and then used in the form of an extract as a flavoring agent. So malt ANYTHING is barley. BTW Rice Dream milk also uses barley to process their product. <_<
BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#5 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 06:36 PM

The label says free of all gluten & wheat products. I know about malt and Rice Dream but the labeling on this product has me confused.
Rachel

#6 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 10:08 PM

If the product lists 'malt diastase' as an ingredient, the company can't ethically label that product 'gluten free'. From what I've read, anything with the word 'malt' in front of it has been derived from barley. Have you called the company? I sure would ask them how they could label something gluten free if it contains barley.
BURDEE

#7 glutenkiddies

glutenkiddies

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 02:03 AM

I would sue em for making your stomach hurt and false labeling :P

#8 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 02:59 AM

I would definlty all the company. Maybe they just dont know that malt is gluten...

- Vincent -

#9 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 04:59 AM

Wow, I would definitely call and complain. The company is either making a false claim or possibly through the process they put the stuff through makes it ok(kind of like through a distillation process) I don't know but I would definitely call.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#10 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:15 AM

I would sue em for making your stomach hurt and false labeling  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol: I don't get tummy aches so I'll have to sue them for making me lose 5 lbs that I worked hard to gain and also making me lose more hair! :angry:

I called the company but was told there was noone there to help me...to call back later. <_< Lame. I'm noticing that alot of vitamins and digestive enzymes have the malt diastase in them and also are labeled gluten-free. Maybe you're right Kaiti and somehow they think the gluten doesn't survive some kind of process they put it through. Maybe the malt is from something other than barley??? All I know is I'm being extra strict with my food journal the last few weeks and when I look back the days I got sick were the days I took the vitamins. <_<

HELLO...vitamins are supposed to help my hair grow back...not fall out even more!!!! :blink:
Rachel

#11 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:22 AM

Rachel-
What brand were your vitamins?
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#12 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:04 AM

Rachel-
What brand were your vitamins?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The brand is Utrition..
Rachel

#13 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:05 AM

The brand is Utrition..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I use that brand too....and they are gluten free from the info I have found out.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#14 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:11 AM

I use that brand too....and they are gluten free from the info I have found out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does yours contain malt diastase too? I'm still going to call them and find out what that is cuz I feel like the vitamins are what was making me sick. I havent had any gluten-like symptoms since I stopped taking them....it took a week to recover but I'm good now. My hair stopped falling out so much too. :D
Rachel

#15 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:19 AM

It could have *only* been the vitamins or Garden of Eatin chips which aren't guaranteed gluten-free anymore because of cross-contamination. Is it more likely the chips?
Rachel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: