9 replies to this topic

#1 nursenation2

nursenation2

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:37 PM

So as some of you know I have been having trouble again after 2 years gluten free, but had got cc'd several times in a row. So started (after this big flare up) on probiotics and back on nexium and then later gastric enzymes. So then I was still having problems so tried grain and dairy free for a few days. Nothing was helping. I felt like I was taking more and more pills so I stopped everything. And then things got better. I added back nexium ,that is ok. I suspect the probiotics. Can that be possible? Was taking culturelle and acidophilous. I was to the point with bloating that I couldn't even sleep. Since I stopped taking them that is so much better. I know that can be a common reaction in the first few days of starting probiotics but was on them about 3 weeks. Tried dairy again today and did fine. Could this be? What should I do??

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 raea2002

raea2002

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:48 PM

I started taking Raw women's multivitamin, it has probiotics in it. I havent had a problem with them.

#3 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

When first diagnosed, I tried probiotic and it did not settle with me well.

My pro biotics had dairy. I stopped it for a month and found one which did not contain dairy and continued with no issue.

I assume you have checked you meds. Even generics change frequently.

But, as we all know, not all roads lead to gluten. ;)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 mamajchis

mamajchis

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:15 PM

When first diagnosed, I tried probiotic and it did not settle with me well.

My pro biotics had dairy. I stopped it for a month and found one which did not contain dairy and continued with no issue.

I assume you have checked you meds. Even generics change frequently.

But, as we all know, not all roads lead to gluten. ;)

I started using align. Started having setbacks about the same time with no change in diet. I quit eating gluten March 12 2012 so still fairly new to this. I have most of the GI problems which are taking longer to improve on than I had hoped.

#5 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:59 PM

I had to switch to a 'vegan formula' one because I was getting dairy symptoms from regular ones.
So I use the green-topped PB8 from WhFds. Blue top is regular.
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#6 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,783 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:05 AM

What brand of probiotics was it? Could there be cc problems?

#7 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:33 PM

If that's for me it was multiple brands & my dairy symptoms are easily distinguishable from gluten symptoms.
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#8 Mom23boys

Mom23boys

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:53 AM

Is your diet high in sugars or the processed gluten-free subs? This will "feed" the bad bacteria that the probiotics are trying to get rid of which will make a little "war" in your digestive system.
Shellfish free since 1980
Milk free (all forms) since 1991
Feingold in 2003
First gluten-free round 2007
Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

#9 nursenation2

nursenation2

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:12 AM

Don't eat a lot of sugar unless you count natural sugars as in fruit. I eat the occasional schar chibata roll. None this week even. I don't like most of the gluten-free subs and never liked sweets. See the doc next week I'm hoping we can figure something out.

#10 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:57 PM

So as some of you know I have been having trouble again after 2 years gluten free, but had got cc'd several times in a row. So started (after this big flare up) on probiotics and back on nexium and then later gastric enzymes. So then I was still having problems so tried grain and dairy free for a few days. Nothing was helping. I felt like I was taking more and more pills so I stopped everything. And then things got better. I added back nexium ,that is ok. I suspect the probiotics. Can that be possible? Was taking culturelle and acidophilous. I was to the point with bloating that I couldn't even sleep. Since I stopped taking them that is so much better. I know that can be a common reaction in the first few days of starting probiotics but was on them about 3 weeks. Tried dairy again today and did fine. Could this be? What should I do??

I cannot take probiotics with FOS (fructo-oligosaccharides) in them, I get a lot of gut pain.
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: