6 replies to this topic

#1 patz16

patz16

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:06 AM

I am 16 years old in the 11th grade and have been suffering for many years. I suffered with extreme fatigue to the point where I would sleep for 14 hours and still be tired, Severe depression and anxiety,joint pain (more than my 76 year old grandmother), decalcification of my teeth. About 2 years ago I lost 40 pounds in about a month or 2 and my mother was very worried. The hospital told us : nothing was wrong with me and other doctors said the same but one found H-Pilori and I was diagnosed with that. The thing is that even though I got past that infection, I was still sick and getting worse. About a month ago I couldn't eat without getting sick or having diarreha. My cousin is glueten sensitive so his mother told mine that I should follow that diet and I did. I got so much better - I became another person , much energy , feeling great , no more pain. I realize now that there is probably a 95% chance that I have celiac disease but I really don't want to get tested because I know that I would have to go on that horrid glueten diet again. What bothers me the most is that I could get a negative even if I go back on the diet. My question is Should I go back on the diet to get tested or just live my life this way? I dont think the pros outweigh the cons Please help, I would love to hear from others.
Toughing it out on a 2 year doctor hiatus. I give up.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:35 AM

I am 16 years old in the 11th grade and have been suffering for many years. I suffered with extreme fatigue to the point where I would sleep for 14 hours and still be tired, Severe depression and anxiety,joint pain (more than my 76 year old grandmother), decalcification of my teeth. About 2 years ago I lost 40 pounds in about a month or 2 and my mother was very worried. The hospital told us : nothing was wrong with me and other doctors said the same but one found H-Pilori and I was diagnosed with that. The thing is that even though I got past that infection, I was still sick and getting worse. About a month ago I couldn't eat without getting sick or having diarreha. My cousin is glueten sensitive so his mother told mine that I should follow that diet and I did. I got so much better - I became another person , much energy , feeling great , no more pain. I realize now that there is probably a 95% chance that I have celiac disease but I really don't want to get tested because I know that I would have to go on that horrid glueten diet again. What bothers me the most is that I could get a negative even if I go back on the diet. My question is Should I go back on the diet to get tested or just live my life this way? I dont think the pros outweigh the cons Please help, I would love to hear from others.

Hello and Welcome!

If you have a family history of Celiac and a positve response to the diet,it's likely you have Celiac Disease of a Gluten Sensitivity.

To be tested, it's recommended that a person consume gluten for three months to get the tested. Do you want to do that?

It's a personal choice. :) Not too much help, am I? :rolleyes:
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 patz16

patz16

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

Hello and Welcome!

If you have a family history of Celiac and a positve response to the diet,it's likely you have Celiac Disease of a Gluten Sensitivity.

To be tested, it's recommended that a person consume gluten for three months to get the tested. Do you want to do that?

It's a personal choice. :) Not too much help, am I? :rolleyes:

I realize that it is. I plan to attend college in Fall 2013, but I am worried I wouldn't be accommodated as well if I don't have proof that I am indeed glueten intolerant. Will I be able to tell hospitals for instance that I know I am, or would I need to be tested for that?

#4 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:24 AM

My Dvice is to find a doctor who is knowledgeable about celiac disease/NCGI (hard to do but worth it) and explain your symptoms, reaction going gluten-free, and family history.

I would ask for vitamin level tests - irons, b's, d, k, calciums, magnesium. If these are low it could support celiac disease. Ask for HLA testing, that could also support celiac disease.

Explain your concerns about school and ask for a dx. See what happens.

My ND has dx'ed me celiac based on alternative methods above, along with my raging rash. I couldn't be tested because of steroids (rash). Of course, going gluten-free was a shot in the dark anyway, but I couldn't challenge later because it was gluten and I'd be covered head to toe in my rash...
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#5 MitziG

MitziG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:39 AM

If it were me, I would just call myself celiac and go with it. As for college....could be tricky...but, you may get a doc to dx you without the tests based on response to the diet and your history. Dr shop if you need to! I question whether college accomodations wud be worth it. I wouldn't trust a school cafeteria to cook me gluten-free meals without contaminating them!

#6 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:39 AM

Are you going away to college and would you have to pay for a meal plan? This would be the only consideration I could think of for getting a diagnosis from a medical professional. I think you would be much more likely to be able to work a diagnosis out of a naturopath (ND) than an alleopathic (M.D.) doctor - they are a lot more rational about considering all the facts instead of just test results.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 patz16

patz16

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

I think I should mention that I am not from the mainland United States and am from the United States Virgin Islands. I don't even think we have those kind of doctors here.
Also I do wish to go away to college, but I am not sure if I will be able to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: