This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Peanut Butter

Mnicole1981

Mnicole1981 Enthusiast

I had a tbsp of Skippy Natural Peanut Butter. I have slight heartburn now. Does it bother anybody else?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Darn210 Enthusiast

First let me say that I don't have Celiac Disease . . .

If I eat too much peanut butter or if I don't eat it WITH something, it gives me heart burn.

Mnicole1981 Enthusiast

I had a few gluten free crackers and peanut butter.

squirmingitch Veteran

I had been eating organic peanut butter on rice cakes & it didn't bother me. I quit only b/c peanuts are high in salicylates & I needed to go low sal. So now, I have either cashew butter or sunflower seed butter on my rice cake & still have no problem.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Was it a new jar? What cracker did you have?

Mnicole1981 Enthusiast

Glutinos Table crackers. It was an old jar. Probably glutened.

Lisa Mentor

Possible that someone in your home double dipped? And in the beginning, many foods can bother us, regardless of their gluten free status, until some healing can take place.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Marilyn R Community Regular

I don't have a reaction to Skippy brand, I buy the natual super chunk style. I like that brand because the peanut butter doesn't separate and have to be stirred like most of the other "natural" brands that don't have additives.

Could the heartburn be from anything else you ate today or last night? Heartburn isn't one of my issues, but I'm pretty sensitive and Skippy on apples, bananas or a rice cake is breakfast or a snack a couple of times a week. One of the difficult things in figuring out what bothers you is the delayed reaction. Mine usually occur anywhere from 22-24 hour later, but I've had a couple of instances when it was only 1/2 hour later. It can be confounding! Good luck, hope you feel better! :)

Mnicole1981 Enthusiast

I don't have a reaction to Skippy brand, I buy the natual super chunk style. I like that brand because the peanut butter doesn't separate and have to be stirred like most of the other "natural" brands that don't have additives.

O

Could the heartburn be from anything else you ate today or last night? Heartburn isn't one of my issues, but I'm pretty sensitive and Skippy on apples, bananas or a rice cake is breakfast or a snack a couple of times a week. One of the difficult things in figuring out what bothers you is the delayed reaction. Mine usually occur anywhere from 22-24 hour later, but I've had a couple of instances when it was only 1/2 hour later. It can be confounding! Good luck, hope you feel better! :)

I had grits last night. I don't have much of an appetite. I had Cinnamon Rice Chex and lactose free yogurt for breakfast, spinach and eggs for lunch...

kareng Grand Master

If it was an old jar used for gluten foods, you should not be using it. It is likely not gluten-free anymore because of crumbs.

Lisa Mentor

You might not ever know. But, it might be a good idea to keep a food journal. It's makes it easier to identify an issue.

It's easy to equate all our issues to gluten.

And I think your symptom was heartburn. Some foods did not agree with me before I had Celiac symptoms. It could happen with many things to include an unhealed gut.

HoosierMother Newbie

I get heartburn once in a while after eating peanut butter... I eat it with apples or my gluten-free pretzels...

Eleanor Creasey Rookie

I had a tbsp of Skippy Natural Peanut Butter. I have slight heartburn now. Does it bother anybody else?

Peanut Butter doesn't bother me at all. Thank God! Gluten-free pepperoni gives me heartburn sometimes.

Archived