12 replies to this topic

#1 Mnicole1981

Mnicole1981

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

I had a tbsp of Skippy Natural Peanut Butter. I have slight heartburn now. Does it bother anybody else?
gluten-gree as of May 9, 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:14 PM

First let me say that I don't have Celiac Disease . . .

If I eat too much peanut butter or if I don't eat it WITH something, it gives me heart burn.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#3 Mnicole1981

Mnicole1981

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:16 PM

I had a few gluten free crackers and peanut butter.

#4 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:37 PM

I had been eating organic peanut butter on rice cakes & it didn't bother me. I quit only b/c peanuts are high in salicylates & I needed to go low sal. So now, I have either cashew butter or sunflower seed butter on my rice cake & still have no problem.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,746 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:37 PM

Was it a new jar? What cracker did you have?
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#6 Mnicole1981

Mnicole1981

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:41 PM

Glutinos Table crackers. It was an old jar. Probably glutened.

#7 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

Possible that someone in your home double dipped? And in the beginning, many foods can bother us, regardless of their gluten free status, until some healing can take place.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#8 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

I don't have a reaction to Skippy brand, I buy the natual super chunk style. I like that brand because the peanut butter doesn't separate and have to be stirred like most of the other "natural" brands that don't have additives.

Could the heartburn be from anything else you ate today or last night? Heartburn isn't one of my issues, but I'm pretty sensitive and Skippy on apples, bananas or a rice cake is breakfast or a snack a couple of times a week. One of the difficult things in figuring out what bothers you is the delayed reaction. Mine usually occur anywhere from 22-24 hour later, but I've had a couple of instances when it was only 1/2 hour later. It can be confounding! Good luck, hope you feel better! :)
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#9 Mnicole1981

Mnicole1981

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:20 PM

I don't have a reaction to Skippy brand, I buy the natual super chunk style. I like that brand because the peanut butter doesn't separate and have to be stirred like most of the other "natural" brands that don't have additives.
O
Could the heartburn be from anything else you ate today or last night? Heartburn isn't one of my issues, but I'm pretty sensitive and Skippy on apples, bananas or a rice cake is breakfast or a snack a couple of times a week. One of the difficult things in figuring out what bothers you is the delayed reaction. Mine usually occur anywhere from 22-24 hour later, but I've had a couple of instances when it was only 1/2 hour later. It can be confounding! Good luck, hope you feel better! :)

I had grits last night. I don't have much of an appetite. I had Cinnamon Rice Chex and lactose free yogurt for breakfast, spinach and eggs for lunch...

#10 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:24 PM

If it was an old jar used for gluten foods, you should not be using it. It is likely not gluten-free anymore because of crumbs.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#11 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

You might not ever know. But, it might be a good idea to keep a food journal. It's makes it easier to identify an issue.

It's easy to equate all our issues to gluten.

And I think your symptom was heartburn. Some foods did not agree with me before I had Celiac symptoms. It could happen with many things to include an unhealed gut.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#12 HoosierMother

HoosierMother

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:16 PM

I get heartburn once in a while after eating peanut butter... I eat it with apples or my gluten-free pretzels...
Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending. - Maria Robinson

#13 Eleanor Creasey

Eleanor Creasey

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:26 PM

I had a tbsp of Skippy Natural Peanut Butter. I have slight heartburn now. Does it bother anybody else?

Peanut Butter doesn't bother me at all. Thank God! Gluten-free pepperoni gives me heartburn sometimes.
Gluten-free since 2000

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: