Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Mking Tracks For Celiacs

2 posts in this topic

Only 2 more weeks until the Baltimore Making Tracks for Celiacs 5K & 10K race and Gluten-Free Vendor Fair on Sunday, May 20th! Register by May 7th to be guaranteed a performance T-shirt and reduced registration fee. After May 7th, registration prices go up and no guarantee on a T-shirt (it will be first come first serve at the day of the race). You can register as an individual, join a team or just make donation. It's easy to set up and personalize your own fundraising team page. Team donations and pledges are what propel the Center for Celiac Research towards achieving its goals.

DON'T FORGET we have a new location this year: UMBC (University of Maryland Baltimore County), University Center building, 1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD 21250. Click here to view the 5K and 10K course map. The 10K race will loop around UMBC campus twice. Water will be available at certain locations on the course. Also new this year is chipped timing.

Registration will begin at 8am, 5K and 10K races start at 9am, and the Gluten-Free Vendor Fair opens at 9am. Registration, the Vendor Fair and post-event activities will take place at the University Center, 3rd floor ballroom. There will be free parking in the Administration Garage and Stadium Lot. (Please see the UMBC website for campus maps.) For directions to UMBC, visit the Baltimore page on www.celiacwalk.org.

If you can't participate in the 5K or 10K race but still want to be a part of the event and support the Center, we now offer registration solely for the Gluten-Free Vendor Fair. And if you register before May 7th, you are guaranteed a performance T-shirt. Fees are $30 for ages 13 & up and $15 for under 13. There will be gluten-free refreshments available to sample and to purchase at the Vendor Fair. We already have 45 vendors signed up and more to come, including some new gluten-free companies!

Other amenities include a silent auction with items such as a Joe Flacco autographed football, restaurant gift cards, movie passes, gift baskets and much more. There will be children's activities, awards & metals for winning participants, and a raffle. Get a free raffle ticket for each $100 of fundraising (not including registration fee) received by May 20th; matching gifts double your fundraising!

To register for the 5K walk/run, 10K run or Gluten-Free Vendor Fair, visit www.celiacwalk.org. Register by May 7th (only 5 days left!) and you are guaranteed a performance T-shirt. Those that register after May 7th and on the day of the race are not guaranteed a T-shirt.

We'd love to see a bigger turnout this year so get everyone you know to come out and join us!! This event supports the Center for Celiac Research in a major way and we count on it for crucial research funds for the year. Many thanks to everyone who has participated in the past and we hope to have your continued support for this year!

Looking forward to seeing you on Sunday, May 20, 2012!! Any questions, email celiaccenter@peds.umaryland.edu or celiacwalk@yahoo.com.

Mailing Address:

Center for Celiac Research

20 Penn Street

Room S303B

Baltimore, MD 21201

US

Contact Name: Pam King

Telephone Number: (410) 706-8021<br style="mso-special-character:line-break"> <br style="mso-special-character:line-break">

Ads by Google:

I'm signed up! It will be my first 5K since before my daughter was born (she's 8 1/2) now. So excited for the race and the vendor fair.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• WOW.  That looks eerily familiar.  Last December the temporary provider here at my local (rural) clinic gave me doxycycline to experiment with, but it was a mere ten milligrams.  Lol, no wonder it didn't help!  I'm glad you're feeling better.
    • I got cross contaminated some time ago & the rash came back pretty badly. I've attached a photo taken on June 11th of my back. It was also in my scalp, around my neck, on my front, shoulders, inner wrists and more.   Tonight I am not itching at all! I haven't itched all day long!!!! I can't take Dapsone because I'm allergic to sulfa drugs & Dapsone is a sulfa drug. Obviously that means I also can't take any of the other sulfa drugs that are used to treat dh after Dapsone is not an option. After those comes tetracycline. I really needed some relief! I began researching the dosage & particulars on tetracycline for dh. Extensive & exhaustive research did not pan out. The best I could find was treating Bullous phemphigoid. That said something like 500mg of tetracycline 4 times per day and about an equal amount of niacinimide. I really didn't want to take that much medication and in such strong doses. So my doctor (my PC doc) & I began experimenting. We tried Doxycycline 100mg twice a day. It seemed to be helping some but it just wasn't enough. Then we upped it to 200mg Doxycycline twice per day. It has taken about 5 days of that & I sit here not itching all day for the first time in a long, long time! This may not work for everyone. I did want to post it though as it is, at present, working for me. I am not thrilled at taking it but I have toughed this rash out before for years with no meds and I just couldn't do it again.
    • I laughed out loud at the 'little notebook' comment!😂 It has been interesting to see how much progress has actually been made over the past 10 years that there is even a notebook to be offered or a restaurant to eat in that will accommodate our 'allergy'. 10 years ago I feared that I would never eat in a restaurant again.  But the notebook comment is spot on.  Hopefully within the next 10 years restaurants will evolve enough to offer us a menu that clearly lists the delicious and extensive offerings that they have lovingly prepared just for us...and not just an ingredient list with nutritional values that take longer to read than War and Peace.   I am grateful that there are places to go that at least make the effort.  Who knows?  Eventually there may be restaurants which will have to offer menus with GLUTEN options available!
    • Thanks for posting this Adrien, it's a great list and I and others will appreciate the effort and the thought behind it. I loved my time in Malaysia and I'm glad I sampled all the food I could whilst I was still on an unrestricted diet. The good thing is that, like you say, some of the nice Malay foods are still ok. As a backpacker I survived on a lot of nasi goreng and laksa, nice to think if I return there I could still do the same Terima kasih!
    • I have posted on here before. DQ2, brother with celiac, DGP iGA was the only mildly elevated test. Was gluten-free so did 6 week challenge last winter. Negative biopsy. I am gluten-free now but do go out to eat. Prior to the challenge my health was good. Since then I have: Chest pain, pain between shoulder blades, periods of shortness of breath, heart palpitations, one instance of a heart arrythmia episode, neck is tender to touch on one side (they kept saying sinuses or TMJ which my dentist vetoed) ear ache, bowels never sink. Numbness and tingling. Blood pressure variations. Could be doing chores and feel dizzy and it might be 84/52.  not super low, but not typical for me if I'm running around the house.While other days I am mildly hypertensive. Recently lost 5 lbs in 8 days without trying. Recently electrolytes were low, alkaline phosphatese was low. Ferritin started dropping so started liquid iron 2-3 times per day 4 months ago. Primary watching that, I am not anemic but we are nowhere near iron overload either.  GI doc was a dick. Did not even know DGP replaced older tests and he was very condescending When I begged him for help recently and told me to get a second opinion which is exactly what I plan on doing.  I now have pain in my upper GI area. It is tender to touch. I had my gallbladder out in 97 along with a stone and infection in my bile duct. It hurts in this area. Pancreatic enzymes look fine, liver enzymes fine. Pancreatic ultrasound fine. I will now be doing a EUS Soon to look at bile duct, pancreas and liver.   so a typical day for me is that I might feel fine for a while and then suddenly feel like I'm going to pass out. really dizzy, numbness in odd places, like my body has been hijacked. I will typically eat a bunch of food something high protein and in about an hour or so I start to feel better. However, then my upper stomach starts to hurt in place of the passing out feeling. blood sugars are also normal. After getting the " it must be panic attacks" and condescending looks a million times my primary finally ordered an ultrasound of my sore neck and there is an abnormality in my thyroid which she says looks like possibly Hashti's. Except for one time, all my serum TSH tests were normal. We have more blood work on Monday. As I have not put on any weight and there are other symptoms that are closer to Graves.  Has anyone else had any thyroid issues that followed doing a gluten challenge?  where is your stomach pain? Do you have it above or below your belly button? Mine feels like it's in the pancreas area, like 2-3 inches above the belly button and when I push on it it's tender, but not all the time. sometimes i feel it in my back. 
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    ForeverYoung&GlutenFree