10 replies to this topic

#1 lizk

lizk

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:58 AM

I found this link of what I would consider "mild" DH (except maybe the back photo, that looks kind of severe) and thought I would post because I've had a hard time finding photos that don't look pretty severe. Most photos of DH don't look like what I have (and I'm still not sure if I have DH), but these look very similar to what I have - especially the first photo. Anyway, just thought I'd post in case it helps anyone.

http://www.celiaccentral.org/skin/

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

I found this link of what I would consider "mild" DH (except maybe the back photo, that looks kind of severe) and thought I would post because I've had a hard time finding photos that don't look pretty severe. Most photos of DH don't look like what I have (and I'm still not sure if I have DH), but these look very similar to what I have - especially the first photo. Anyway, just thought I'd post in case it helps anyone.

http://www.celiaccentral.org/skin/

Excellent link. This will help people. Almost all of the photos you find on the net are so severe that they are quite hard to even look at & people with less severe dh than those photos can be easily confused.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#3 gulfcoastnana

gulfcoastnana

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:52 PM

Thank you for posting this... I wish that I would have taken photos when my rash was at its worst...
at first i was told i had shingles... then after taking a course of steriods...it came back with a vengence... dr said its a food allergy..
before i made it to a allergy dr i found some photos of wheat rash...(DH) and it looked like what i had went gluten free... started clearing up...
so now while the dr's may not agree with me i know the only way to keep the itchy skin away is staying gluten free

#4 Di2011

Di2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:30 AM

I think the definition of "mild" DH is so much up for debate.
I've been watching my 9 year olds DH develop over the past year.
My DH went full blown a year ago.. when I went to work in a bakery. I'd always been gluten lite without a thought. Didn't like breakfast, pasta, pizza etc. Was always itchy/scratchy and had "ingrown hairs" and 'adult pimples' etc etc. I think there is definitely 'mild' DH which in my definition is just itchy. Medium is definitive lesions ("mosquito bites"). This is where my son is at.
The full blown DH though is extreme, ugly, and mentally challenging. Just ask me what I've been through.

DH needs to be scientifically researched as a skin condition with a range of presentations.

It presents differently in different areas of my body. There is no 'normal'.

If you feel like mosquitos are biting (in winter) or acid is being sprayed on your skin then DH is a probability.

#5 lizk

lizk

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:57 AM

I think the definition of "mild" DH is so much up for debate.
I've been watching my 9 year olds DH develop over the past year.
My DH went full blown a year ago.. when I went to work in a bakery. I'd always been gluten lite without a thought. Didn't like breakfast, pasta, pizza etc. Was always itchy/scratchy and had "ingrown hairs" and 'adult pimples' etc etc. I think there is definitely 'mild' DH which in my definition is just itchy. Medium is definitive lesions ("mosquito bites"). This is where my son is at.
The full blown DH though is extreme, ugly, and mentally challenging. Just ask me what I've been through.

DH needs to be scientifically researched as a skin condition with a range of presentations.

It presents differently in different areas of my body. There is no 'normal'.

If you feel like mosquitos are biting (in winter) or acid is being sprayed on your skin then DH is a probability.

I'm sorry you had such a tough time of it. Does your son have multiple "mosquito bite" looking lesions in one place? Or is it one here or there? I had some that were very tiny blistery looking things and lately I have had larger "bug bite" looking ones that are usually (not always) on matching sides of my body. They usually just present as one, but for example on my ankle last week I had 3 or 4 in a cluster. And yes sometimes the skin just burns or sort of generally itches and then a tiny bump will appear.

#6 lizk

lizk

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:03 AM

Oh and I would say for the past 6 months I have been "itchy/scratchy" as well and have bumps on the back of my thighs that itch that I thought were ingrown hairs or something. The burning sensation you mention I don't think I've heard before and is what I feel sometimes because I have described it as almost feeling having a sunburn when it gets itchy.

Thank you for your replies!

#7 gulfcoastnana

gulfcoastnana

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:12 AM

I have always had back bumps...(pimples) and under the bra line rash( thought it was heat rash) thighs chalked it up to many things ingrown hairs ect.... but now i must say i the only way to describe the warning that a break out is coming is a burning like being sunburnt and having a jellyfish tossed on your skin....

#8 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:41 AM

Mine starts itching and feels like an abrasion - then it comes on fast.

In retrospect I've had a dozen or so different types of lesions. Would be funny if it wasn't sad - so many that were probably DH but I wrote off as something else.

And I have a sneaking suspicion the herpes Whitlow on my hand as a child wasn't - yep, I'm betting that was my first DH.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#9 itchy

itchy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:14 AM

I concur with above.

Especially the comment about photographing the lesions when they are bad. Mine are almost cleared up and it will be difficult to persuade future physicians that I am coeliac, or how bad the rash really was. I have met complete scepticism from the medical community for fifteen years, and when I had the best evidence of coeliac I failed to record it!

I frequently get burning or itching sensations in the areas where former outbreaks occurred. Lately nothing materialises from these. Am I just below the threshhold for an outbreak? Is it just a bodily reaction to the factors that are still in my skin? Hard to say.

#10 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

Those don't look so mild to me.. Mine are ant-bite size, and they only scar if I break the skin.
Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

#11 Di2011

Di2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

Hi Dani,
I think you are probably lucky you discovered your gluten/DH condition whilst younger than many of us. I was always itchy/scratchy, 'ingrown hairs' type and avoided gluten full foods without making the connection. I went to work in a bakery about 18months ago and 9 months later I broke out in full blown head to toe DH. All in one 6 hour shift. Out of necessity I have had to be extremely strict with diet and bathroom/cleaning etc. I never eat out. Black tea is the only thing I've ordered in the past 12 months :(
Be sure you keep strict. You young ones would really want to avoid skin like mine!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: