This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Photos Of Mild Dh

lizk

lizk Rookie

I found this link of what I would consider "mild" DH (except maybe the back photo, that looks kind of severe) and thought I would post because I've had a hard time finding photos that don't look pretty severe. Most photos of DH don't look like what I have (and I'm still not sure if I have DH), but these look very similar to what I have - especially the first photo. Anyway, just thought I'd post in case it helps anyone.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

I found this link of what I would consider "mild" DH (except maybe the back photo, that looks kind of severe) and thought I would post because I've had a hard time finding photos that don't look pretty severe. Most photos of DH don't look like what I have (and I'm still not sure if I have DH), but these look very similar to what I have - especially the first photo. Anyway, just thought I'd post in case it helps anyone.

Open Original Shared Link

Excellent link. This will help people. Almost all of the photos you find on the net are so severe that they are quite hard to even look at & people with less severe dh than those photos can be easily confused.

gulfcoastnana Newbie

Thank you for posting this... I wish that I would have taken photos when my rash was at its worst...

at first i was told i had shingles... then after taking a course of steriods...it came back with a vengence... dr said its a food allergy..

before i made it to a allergy dr i found some photos of wheat rash...(DH) and it looked like what i had went gluten free... started clearing up...

so now while the dr's may not agree with me i know the only way to keep the itchy skin away is staying gluten free

Di2011 Enthusiast

I think the definition of "mild" DH is so much up for debate.

I've been watching my 9 year olds DH develop over the past year.

My DH went full blown a year ago.. when I went to work in a bakery. I'd always been gluten lite without a thought. Didn't like breakfast, pasta, pizza etc. Was always itchy/scratchy and had "ingrown hairs" and 'adult pimples' etc etc. I think there is definitely 'mild' DH which in my definition is just itchy. Medium is definitive lesions ("mosquito bites"). This is where my son is at.

The full blown DH though is extreme, ugly, and mentally challenging. Just ask me what I've been through.

DH needs to be scientifically researched as a skin condition with a range of presentations.

It presents differently in different areas of my body. There is no 'normal'.

If you feel like mosquitos are biting (in winter) or acid is being sprayed on your skin then DH is a probability.

lizk Rookie

I think the definition of "mild" DH is so much up for debate.

I've been watching my 9 year olds DH develop over the past year.

My DH went full blown a year ago.. when I went to work in a bakery. I'd always been gluten lite without a thought. Didn't like breakfast, pasta, pizza etc. Was always itchy/scratchy and had "ingrown hairs" and 'adult pimples' etc etc. I think there is definitely 'mild' DH which in my definition is just itchy. Medium is definitive lesions ("mosquito bites"). This is where my son is at.

The full blown DH though is extreme, ugly, and mentally challenging. Just ask me what I've been through.

DH needs to be scientifically researched as a skin condition with a range of presentations.

It presents differently in different areas of my body. There is no 'normal'.

If you feel like mosquitos are biting (in winter) or acid is being sprayed on your skin then DH is a probability.

I'm sorry you had such a tough time of it. Does your son have multiple "mosquito bite" looking lesions in one place? Or is it one here or there? I had some that were very tiny blistery looking things and lately I have had larger "bug bite" looking ones that are usually (not always) on matching sides of my body. They usually just present as one, but for example on my ankle last week I had 3 or 4 in a cluster. And yes sometimes the skin just burns or sort of generally itches and then a tiny bump will appear.

lizk Rookie

Oh and I would say for the past 6 months I have been "itchy/scratchy" as well and have bumps on the back of my thighs that itch that I thought were ingrown hairs or something. The burning sensation you mention I don't think I've heard before and is what I feel sometimes because I have described it as almost feeling having a sunburn when it gets itchy.

Thank you for your replies!

gulfcoastnana Newbie

I have always had back bumps...(pimples) and under the bra line rash( thought it was heat rash) thighs chalked it up to many things ingrown hairs ect.... but now i must say i the only way to describe the warning that a break out is coming is a burning like being sunburnt and having a jellyfish tossed on your skin....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Mine starts itching and feels like an abrasion - then it comes on fast.

In retrospect I've had a dozen or so different types of lesions. Would be funny if it wasn't sad - so many that were probably DH but I wrote off as something else.

And I have a sneaking suspicion the herpes Whitlow on my hand as a child wasn't - yep, I'm betting that was my first DH.

itchy Rookie

I concur with above.

Especially the comment about photographing the lesions when they are bad. Mine are almost cleared up and it will be difficult to persuade future physicians that I am coeliac, or how bad the rash really was. I have met complete scepticism from the medical community for fifteen years, and when I had the best evidence of coeliac I failed to record it!

I frequently get burning or itching sensations in the areas where former outbreaks occurred. Lately nothing materialises from these. Am I just below the threshhold for an outbreak? Is it just a bodily reaction to the factors that are still in my skin? Hard to say.

dani nero Community Regular

Those don't look so mild to me.. Mine are ant-bite size, and they only scar if I break the skin.

Di2011 Enthusiast

Hi Dani,

I think you are probably lucky you discovered your gluten/DH condition whilst younger than many of us. I was always itchy/scratchy, 'ingrown hairs' type and avoided gluten full foods without making the connection. I went to work in a bakery about 18months ago and 9 months later I broke out in full blown head to toe DH. All in one 6 hour shift. Out of necessity I have had to be extremely strict with diet and bathroom/cleaning etc. I never eat out. Black tea is the only thing I've ordered in the past 12 months :(

Be sure you keep strict. You young ones would really want to avoid skin like mine!!

Archived