6 replies to this topic

#1 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:30 PM

Usually I book my own flights directly with the airline, but because we had an extra leg this time and I was lazy, and I thought she might get me a better deal,I used a travel agent instead of Expedia or something else.. Bad me. Even though I confirmed with the agent she had ordered gluten free meals, at dinner time we were not on the list. :( BUT... the concierge on the flight was wonderful. Several trips to business class later, and we had cups of unsalted nuts, green salads with vinaigrette, seafood entrees of (cold roast chicken breast) and shrimp and smoked salmon with a mango salsa, a fruit platter, ice cream, a banana and an apple, and a selection of cheeses. Breakfast for me was scrambled eggs (with baked beans I avoided), yogurt, orange juice, milk and a cereal of very dubious origin which was declined, some more fresh fruit (pineapple, mango, grapes, etc.); hubs had a dinner left over from the previous evening which someone had declined - a vegetarian meal with beans and potatoes which suited him to a tee, along with all the other stuff except the eggs. Kudos to the concierge and a profusive endorsement of him to Air New Zealand. Neither of us had any problem with either meal .

We were so well fed I didn't eat any of the food we took with us until SFO, where I did my best to order something safe but everything comes in cans which are emptied out and the cans thrown away by the morning crew so the waitress couldn't tell me what was in anything. (As an aside, she said "People don't care what they eat in here, they just want food!") :lol:, so that made me really an oddball. So I said, that's okay, I'll just eat my own, so out came the salami and cheeses and crackers (minus the apple I had to declare at customs :( and which was confiscated).

So there was an airline which rose to the occasion. He was so apologetic and I bet it was all the fault of the stupid travel agent, in whose parking lot I got backed into and had to do an auto repair before I left too :rolleyes: Quoth the Raven: "Never more"
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:43 PM

Glad everything worked out for you, Shroomie...and glad to have you in the States again.

Mental Note: When we go to visit Shroomie, don't use a travel agent and fly Air New Zealand. You DO know we're comin', right? . . . Eventually.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#3 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:58 PM

Usually I book my own flights directly with the airline, but because we had an extra leg this time and I was lazy, and I thought she might get me a better deal,I used a travel agent instead of Expedia or something else.. Bad me. Even though I confirmed with the agent she had ordered gluten free meals, at dinner time we were not on the list. :( BUT... the concierge on the flight was wonderful. Several trips to business class later, and we had cups of unsalted nuts, green salads with vinaigrette, seafood entrees of (cold roast chicken breast) and shrimp and smoked salmon with a mango salsa, a fruit platter, ice cream, a banana and an apple, and a selection of cheeses. Breakfast for me was scrambled eggs (with baked beans I avoided), yogurt, orange juice, milk and a cereal of very dubious origin which was declined, some more fresh fruit (pineapple, mango, grapes, etc.); hubs had a dinner left over from the previous evening which someone had declined - a vegetarian meal with beans and potatoes which suited him to a tee, along with all the other stuff except the eggs. Kudos to the concierge and a profusive endorsement of him to Air New Zealand. Neither of us had any problem with either meal .

We were so well fed I didn't eat any of the food we took with us until SFO, where I did my best to order something safe but everything comes in cans which are emptied out and the cans thrown away by the morning crew so the waitress couldn't tell me what was in anything. (As an aside, she said "People don't care what they eat in here, they just want food!") :lol:, so that made me really an oddball. So I said, that's okay, I'll just eat my own, so out came the salami and cheeses and crackers (minus the apple I had to declare at customs :( and which was confiscated).

So there was an airline which rose to the occasion. He was so apologetic and I bet it was all the fault of the stupid travel agent, in whose parking lot I got backed into and had to do an auto repair before I left too :rolleyes: Quoth the Raven: "Never more"

Virgin Atlantic did the same for me on a return flight to the States. I changed my return date back home from England and they did not have time to prepare a gluten-free meal. I was told by the concierge that they would withhold food from first class passengers that would fit my dietary requirements and gave me first dibs on everything. Talk about service! I was just hoping they would keep my identity secret so I would not be accosted by hungry, angry passengers whose food I ate. :P I ended up with a great seafood meal and salad, with smoked salmon. You know, sometimes having a dietary restriction isn't so bad after all!

#4 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:14 PM

Mental Note: When we go to visit Shroomie, don't use a travel agent and fly Air New Zealand. You DO know we're comin', right? . . . Eventually.

and don't bring apples

Welcome back Shroomie!
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#5 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

Well, that's a real nice welcome. Now could you just turn the heat lamp up a little??? Oh, I should go to Little Rock??? Nah, I don't think so :D

Yeah, I figure you're coming, but that you'll wait until the ground is a little more stable B) And at least in New Zealand you will find an amnesty bin where you can dispose of the stuff you didn't eat on the plane before you get to customs. I told the agent, well I could have just dropped it on the escalator :blink: :ph34r:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 anabananakins

anabananakins

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:10 PM

That's great to hear and ooh, jealous of the first class food! I've never gotten to sit in the pointy end of the plane, eating some of their food would be the next best thing :-) I was impressed by Air New Zealand when I flew them last year, I had a minor freak out over getting a gluten free bread roll (whoever heard of such a thing!) and so they ran through exactly what they'd done to prepare my meal (i.e, unwrapped nothing that would've contaminated it). So then I picked it up (it weighed a tonne) and broke it open and it shattered into a million pieces and we all laughed because we were all certain then it was gluten free. I loved that they were so understanding, friendly and also familiar with gluten-free products. They have so many people to serve but I still felt like an individual.

#7 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:39 PM

That's great to hear and ooh, jealous of the first class food! I've never gotten to sit in the pointy end of the plane, eating some of their food would be the next best thing :-) I was impressed by Air New Zealand when I flew them last year, I had a minor freak out over getting a gluten free bread roll (whoever heard of such a thing!) and so they ran through exactly what they'd done to prepare my meal (i.e, unwrapped nothing that would've contaminated it). So then I picked it up (it weighed a tonne) and broke it open and it shattered into a million pieces and we all laughed because we were all certain then it was gluten free. I loved that they were so understanding, friendly and also familiar with gluten-free products. They have so many people to serve but I still felt like an individual.

Yeah, I love the crew - think they are all pretty great actually. I think it's because the SENIORS get the good flights and they know their onions (and their gluten free crumbly rolls). However..... I did once get a wholemeal cracker with my cheese :o but then we always check these things, right?? :rolleyes:
Neroli

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009