4 replies to this topic

#1 shrty331

shrty331

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

Two of my kids may have celiacs (positive blood tests). My blood work came back fine,which I figured it would because I've been low carb for over a year and really don't eat much gluten. My gastro is sending me for an endoscopy in June to check for celiacs, and didn't seem concerned that I wasn't eating much gluten. After reading on here and elsewhere, I know that I need to be eating gluten in order for the test to be conclusive. My question is how much gluten do I need each day? I have been eating 2 low carb pancakes and a low carb wheat tortilla everyday and am wondering if that is enough. My metabolism is so shot, that just adding that has caused me to start putting back on the weight I worked so hard to lose. Should I try to add more? I don't want to mess the test up. Thanks for any input! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 raea2002

raea2002

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:57 PM

Please forgive me if this doesn't come out correctly. What is low carb? It is still made with wheat/flour right? It isn't gluten free that you are eatting? I read somewhere on here you need to be eatting the equivalent to 3-4 pieces of bread daily. I hope this answered your question.

#3 shrty331

shrty331

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

Please forgive me if this doesn't come out correctly. What is low carb? It is still made with wheat/flour right? It isn't gluten free that you are eatting? I read somewhere on here you need to be eatting the equivalent to 3-4 pieces of bread daily. I hope this answered your question.

Thanks for the reply! "Low Carb" just means it has a reduced number of carbohydrates compared to the regular version. They are still made with wheat. "Wheat Gluten" is the first ingredient for the bake mix I used to make the pancakes and whole wheat flour is listed for the wraps. So do you think I am eating enough or should I try to add some more? Really want the biopsy to be accurate.

#4 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

Why don't you buy some vital wheat gluten and add it to something else you eat each day? I have no idea how MUCH to add, but it seems to me it would be the easiest thing and probably low/ish in carbs? Of course, it is a straight shot of gliten, so the effects may be pretty nasty if you already know gluten is an issue.

I know someone else on here used it, but I don't know how it went. You may search the forum and try to find the posts.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#5 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:10 AM

It's not a lot of gluten but you could make sure you are eating things like regular non-gluten-free soy-sauce, chicken broths and soups with wheat in them . There are some WASA or Bran a Crisp crackers or the like that are LC and made with rye so they are not-gluten-free. Even Dr. Bernestein(LC diabetes diet advocate)allows those on his plan as they have mininal carbs and minimal blood sugar impact.

Have you been tested for diabetes/blood sugar issues since you seem sensitive to carbs?
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: