Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

Need Help With Kids Snacks

7 posts in this topic

I need help with kid snacks. any suggestions would be appreciated but I prefer naturally gluten free products

I have a 3 & 4 year old girl who are very picky.

this is what I am currently getting for them

fruit cups (they dont like them though)

fruit gummies

home made rice crispie squares

Any ideas on any other snack ideas on a really tight budget would greatly appreciated

Ads by Google:

There have been a lot of threads about this you might want to look at, too.

Upper right corner has a google box. Google snacks.

One example:9

One of my Favs is Cinnamon Chex or Chocolate Chex. Easy to carry some with you and close to healthy. :)

My boys always liked unsalted dry roasted peanuts

* Frozen banana/orange is a great summer time snack. I cut the banana in half and then halve again then each piece into a freezer bag. The bag is good to hold the banana while eating it frozen.

* My son loves yogurt (I only buy the basic/organic brands that are expensive but not like you need lots for lots of goodness) with banana or other fruit mixed in

* Mandarins - do you have these available locally? My son eats them by the bucket loads - like bananas they come with their own "wrapping" so for us super sensitive they tend to be safest to buy & eat on the run.

* Smoothies. I'm low income but decided a blender would be a great investment in our health. Well worth it. Not only do they fill us up they provide me with a bunch of calories that I am struggling to find lately. Lots of yogurt, honey (if you are a sweet tooth), full cream milk and lots of fresh fruit

Talk of smoothies reminded me. I saw on The Chew where they put the smoothie in Popsicle " makers" and froze them. Kids would really like that!

Some of these are more healthy than others. Just some ideas that I know are safe.

Cozy Shack Rice Pudding or Tapioca cups (in the dairy section)

All natural applesauce cups

Gluten-free cookies or muffins (Bake them or buy them.)

Pamela's Baking Mix is versatile and good for cookies, baked goods. There are many options (check the recipe and baking section on the forum)

Bagel with cream cheese and jam or nut butters. Udi's and Glutino bagels are pretty good (frozen section)

Pamela's and King Arthur gluten-free brownie mixes

Chobani Yogurt or So Delicious coconut milk Yogurts- if you cannot have dairy

Scharr cookies (chocolate-dipped shortbread or the mocha layers--are VERY tasty!)

Lundberg rice cakes or sliced apples and celery sticks with natural peanut butter or almond butter or hummus smeared on

Mary's Gone Crackers, Crunchmaster's or Glutino crackers with cheese or peanut butter or other nut spreads

BOAR's Head or Applegate Farms deli--ham, turkey, pepperoni, salami, proscuitto--most all cold cuts and cheeses

Slices of cantaloupe wrapped in proscuitto

Watermelon with crumbled feta cheese

Peanuts, almonds, cashews. (or make your own trail mix)

SUNMAID raisins, prunes. Craisins by Ocean Spray.

Smoothies- made with coconut milk, various fruits, yogurt, etc.

Potato chips----like Cape Cod, Kettle Brand, Utz

Indiana Popcorn--comes in all flavors--the kettle corn is delicious

Glutino brand pretzels—they come in all flavors even chocolate -coated

Coconut milk, creamer and ice cream ( So Delicious brand is very good)

Organic Corn chips w/salsa, hummus, or Guacamole

Sunflower , pumpkin or flaxseeds

Candy—Hershey's kisses or regular size bars, regular size Reese's cups, Snickers, York peppermint patty, Health Bars, Butterfinger and M &Ms plain and peanut. Ghirardelli squares. These were safe--last I read online--but READ LABELS!

Enjoy Life chocolate chips, chunks and Boom Choco Boom bars (free of ALL top 8 allergens)

Make some Chex mix with gluten-free chex cereals

gluten-free Rice Krispies treats (recipes are online)

gluten-free granola bars

Cocoa Pebbles treats with peanut butter on top....

Cocoa Pebbles cereal with almond milk

Thinking of more things my kids ate and are a bit healthier:

A Chex mix with the corn & the Rice Chex, peanuts, raisins, M&Ms or Nestlé choco chips. Kids don't need a seasoning and baking in the oven mix.

PB on celery or apples or pancakes or waffles.

Cold cut roll- ups - roll a slice of ham or turkey around a piece of cheese & use a toothpick!

Pretty much anything like a hot dog or chunk of cheese or meat or melon or fruit on a toothpick especially if you let them stab the food themselves.

Yogurt as a fruit dip for toothpick fruit

Marshmallows ( could be added to the toothpick fruit)

Popcorn ( not good on toothpick)

These cookies that freeze well and taste great frozen:

Emeril’s Peanut Butter Cookies

· 1 cup creamy peanut butter

· 1/2 cup granulated sugar

· 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar

· 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

· 1 large egg, beaten

· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

· Cooking Directions

Prep time: 5 minutes

Cook time: 10 minutes

Total: 15 minutes

1. Position two oven racks in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F.

2. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, and stir with a wooden spoon until smooth.

3. Divide the dough into 24 portions, about 1 heaping tablespoon each. Roll each portion between your hands to form a smooth ball. Place the balls of dough on ungreased cookie sheets, spacing them 1 inch apart. You should get about 12 cookies per sheet. Using

a fork, press on the dough in two directions to form a crosshatch pattern.

4. Bake the cookies, rotating the sheets between oven racks and turning them back to front midway, until the cookies are puffed and lightly golden, about 10 minutes. Remove the baking sheets from the oven and let the cookies cool on the sheets. Then remove them with a metal spatula.

Makes about 24 cookies