4 replies to this topic

#1 basilicious

basilicious

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:14 PM

Today on a road trip, I picked up a bag of Oskri brand Cashew Granola, which was labeled "Gluten free!" and the ingredients were listed as follows: Buck Wheat [sic], Cashews, Sunflower Seeds, Cranberries, Date Syrup, Chicory Root Extract, Rice Protein. (these same ingredients are also listed on the company's site: http://www.oskri.com...hew-granola/box)

Well, boy do I feel like a sucker. Being newly diagnosed, I realize I still have a lot to learn, because about an hour after I got them, at which point I had eaten half the bag, I realized that they clearly had oats in them, but since they hadn't been on the list of ingredients, and because everything was clustered due to its being granola, I hadn't been paying attention to each element enough to notice it. Well, I checked online to make sure that buckwheat doesn't resemble oats, and it does not... The granola definitely contains oats, and they were not listed on the package. I have emailed the company but am trying to figure this all out. My stomach is extremely bloated, more so than it has been in months, but I don't have the other symptoms I usually get when glutened. Plus, I've checked on the forum, and many seem to eat Oskri's other products...and I even found a celiac blogger's account of eating the exact same snack without any mention of the oats. (http://www.glutenfre...t/#.T6RaoPF5mK0). Does anyone have any thoughts on or experience with this particular item?

Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,240 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:22 PM

Weird! I haven't had their products. If you get a response from the company, please copy it and add it to this thread. They could be gluten-free oats but they didn't list them as an ingredient. I'm not sure what buckwheat would look like in this situation. Did you see something besides the oats and the nuts, seeds & cranberry that could be the buckwheat?

Just looked at the website & the pic of a package. Sure looked like an oat on the picture!

Edited by kareng, 04 May 2012 - 07:25 PM.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,767 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:13 AM

Have you contacted the company? Could it be possible that the buckwheat is flaked and that is what you are seeing that look like oats? Maybe you are reacting to another ingredient?
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 basilicious

basilicious

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:24 PM

Thank you for your replies. Still no response from the manufacturer, but I am positive the product contained oats. I combed the internet for different pictures of buckwheat, and it just doesn't resemble what is in the product...definitely oats.

On Oskri's site I saw a mention of an incorrect label for one of their other products, so I think they also have a labeling error with this product and, adding to the problem, have not offered sufficient transparency regarding the type of oats the product in fact contains. No mention of oats, much less whether they are gluten free. Very disappointing. I would exercise caution in consuming this product. Will definitely update this post if I hear back from them.

#5 basilicious

basilicious

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:51 AM

Thank you for your replies. Still no response from the manufacturer, but I am positive the product contained oats. I combed the internet for different pictures of buckwheat, and it just doesn't resemble what is in the product...definitely oats.

On Oskri's site I saw a mention of an incorrect label for one of their other products, so I think they also have a labeling error with this product and, adding to the problem, have not offered sufficient transparency regarding the type of oats the product in fact contains. No mention of oats, much less whether they are gluten free. Very disappointing. I would exercise caution in consuming this product. Will definitely update this post if I hear back from them.

I made another attempt (the third) to contact Oskri. Once again I received an answering machine (during normal business hours) and left a message expressing concern that their product is not labeled properly and made me sick. Their lack of responsiveness says it all in my opinion...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: