5 replies to this topic

#1 kendick

kendick

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:00 PM

My oncologist has told me that I am annemic and need B-12 in my system. He explained that B-12 will not be absorbed in my stomach so I don't get any B-12 in my bloodstream. He put me on shots. Once per week. He says probably for the rest of my life. Ive always been the low-metabilism type guy. Always tired, etc. Does anybody have experience with this? Will this help me to get my energy back that I lost years ago? He also told me that I've probably had celiac for many years. I'm 54 and havent felt great for a long, long time. So, I was just wondering if anybody out there has the same issues !!Thanks. This is my first time here. I was just diagnosted last month so Im still trying to figure everything out with this problem......

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Ziva

Ziva

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:21 AM

I am relatively new to Celiac and am trying to figure out what this all means for me also. I didn't know there was anything wrong with me until Dec. when a GI doc mentioned anemia during a routine colonoscopy at 50. As I have read more about Celiac, I can say I can identify with some symptoms and defiantly have some absorption issues resulting in anemia, Vit D and recently told of B12. On Wedn. I was put on weekly B12 shots for 24 weeks. I thought weekly seems a little different than what I heard others say, but I'm going to give it a try. My husband was put on the same amount but once a month. Different doctor than mine. From what I have read, it seems the shots are the best way to go because of the absorption issues with people with Celiac. I'm sure all people are different, but I had the impression that once off gluten and your intestines heal, your body would then absorb the nutrients and you wouldn't have to stay on the shots. As I said, I am new and learning as I go.

Good luck to you

#3 raea2002

raea2002

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:31 AM

I have gotten 2 B12 shots. I don't know if it is from them or from going gluten free that has helped me. I guess it could be a combo of both. I hope you can get your energy back because I know how miserable it is without it. Hang in there. I do know that it takes time.

#4 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:48 AM

I'm taking "sublingual liquid B complex with B12". It will go into your blood stream from under your tongue, not through your stomache or intestines. I guess that would be the alternative to the shots, but I don't have medical insurance.
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#5 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:59 AM

I initially took B12 shots once a month; I still take them every three months although now four years post gluten free. Some of us, it seems, do not fully recover our absorption ability, and while I am obviously getting some from my food I still have to supplement. Same with everything else :(
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 kendick

kendick

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

I initially took B12 shots once a month; I still take them every three months although now four years post gluten free. Some of us, it seems, do not fully recover our absorption ability, and while I am obviously getting some from my food I still have to supplement. Same with everything else :(

Looks like Im not the only one with the problem. I am taking the shots once a week and was told by my oncologist that it will probably be a life long treatment.. Doesn't sound like much fun. But, as a cancer survivor, I know it could be alot worse. I'm just wondering how long before I start feeling better. Does it take a few weeks for the shots to take effect?? Thanks to everybody. I am learning as I go, for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: