3 replies to this topic

#1 Mom23boys

Mom23boys

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:20 AM

I'm shocked at the prices of substitute flours. Has anyone ground your own rice to make your flour? I'm planning on experimenting since soy and most nut flours are out for us and I hate the taste of many on the rice subs. I want to try a mix of rice, coconut (for fiber and body) and maybe flax seed (for some binding/lift since we don't do eggs either). Anyone do anything like that?
Shellfish free since 1980
Milk free (all forms) since 1991
Feingold in 2003
First gluten-free round 2007
Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 B'sgirl

B'sgirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:47 AM

I grind my own flour. Rice flour tastes much better if you grind it fresh. I usually use a combination of flours but I use brown rice flour the most. I also use Jasmine and Sweet rice flours. 1/3 to 1/4 of my mixture has fresh ground millet grains as well. I have to buy my starches but I get them in bulk and store them in sealed buckets to save money. It is so much more affordable to grind your own. You can also store whole grain rice a lot longer than flour so it is good for a long term food storage as well.

I'm shocked at the prices of substitute flours. Has anyone ground your own rice to make your flour? I'm planning on experimenting since soy and most nut flours are out for us and I hate the taste of many on the rice subs. I want to try a mix of rice, coconut (for fiber and body) and maybe flax seed (for some binding/lift since we don't do eggs either). Anyone do anything like that?

#3 SUZIN

SUZIN

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

I grind my own flour...and it is much cheaper....lately I have been grinding brown rice and white rice together...about 1/2 and 1/2.....so far I haven't mixed other ingredients with it....

#4 sa1937

sa1937

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

I grind my own flour...and it is much cheaper....lately I have been grinding brown rice and white rice together...about 1/2 and 1/2.....so far I haven't mixed other ingredients with it....

What do you bake, Suzin? It seems every recipe I've read always calls for a combination of flours and starches. I'm curious as last week a non-celiac friend baked something with just rice flour and she it was a total failure.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: