Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Glutenfree Cinco De Mayo Food

15 posts in this topic

Hi everybody, I'm pretty much clueless about this, do I thought I post a new topic about this for some inspiration. I have a glutenfree column for some publicity in iur field now for quite some time. I'm sitting here trying to write about glutenfree food for Cinco de Mayo now since 9.00am this morning (1.5 hours). I've looked at tons of webpages for some inspiration, but I'm too overwhelmed by all this Mexican food and now I'm drawing a total blank. Please, I need help in organizing my thoughts. So here it goes:

If you were a newly diagnosed celiac and wanted to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, what glutenfree Cinco de Mayo food would you like to have for that day?

What was your non-glutenfree favorite, before you had to go glutenfree?

How did YOU make that particular favorite food glutenfree, did you alter the original version to fit your needs or just substitute original non-glutenfree ingredients with glutenfree ones? If yes, which brand!

What are your favorite glutenfree Margaritas?

Do you have pictures of your favorite glutenfree food? Would you care to share them for the sake of publicity?

Thanks for your answers. I've no idea, what a glutenfree newbie would be interested in on Cinco de Mayo. Maybe it's just me, cause I'm from Germany , lol

Ads by Google:

Well, I assume you are in the U.S. (hope so, or brands will be a problem).

Tostitos regular corn chips are marked gluten-free on the bag.

Guacamole is easy and nutritious.

Soft tacos or quesadillas are always popular with us-we use a Mission brand corn tortilla, marked gluten-free on package. We fill with grilled chicken, beans, cheese, saut

Yes, I am in the US. But because I'm German, I have no clue about Cinco de Mayo food. Do you think, for this year it would be enough, if I just start writing about some basic Taco recipes and some favorite Margarita and then I have time to do some research until next year? I mean, it's quite extensive and I probably can't put everything into one article anyways.

I have no idea what your target audience is - that said there's no "official" CDM food. One family will BBQ, another will make tacos, etc.

Just start with the general stuff and see where it goes. A simple recipe or two. Mexican food is incredibly diverse. I mean absolutely unbelievably diverse. You could cook different regional recipes your entire life and never cover all of it.

http://news.discovery.com/history/cinco-de-mayo-not-mexico-independence-day-france-spain-120504.html

The mission brand corn tortilla is a good idea and I can just write aboute some good filling to add. Those mission brand ones are harder to find around Harrisburg though and I'm the blog author for the Harrisburg area. What's easier to find are the Ortega Taco Shells. If I'm correct the taco mix is glutenfree, while the taco sauce is not, because of the anti-caking agent, I think. Bit those two may be a start. Tortillas and tacos.

I know, right?!? It's soooo diverse, I didn't know, where to start. Well, actually, even years before I had this blog I enjoyed making the Ortega Corn Taco Shells with some of my favorite fillings. Maybe I should label it "Stef's favorite Cinco de Mayo food" and write about my own recipe instead of making a glutenfree compilation of already known food???

I know, right?!? It's soooo diverse, I didn't know, where to start. Well, actually, even years before I had this blog I enjoyed making the Ortega Corn Taco Shells with some of my favorite fillings. Maybe I should label it "Stef's favorite Cinco de Mayo food" and write about my own recipe instead of making a glutenfree compilation of already known food???

I'd stick with what you know. Most Mexican food is naturally gluten-free unless you use flour tortillas (which are not traditionally Mexican as far as I can tell) or add wheat flour as a thickener (again, not super traditional). So, of you select brands carefully or start from scratch it's easy to be gluten-free.

Most taco sauces & salsas are gluten-free. I have found some canned enchilada sauces have flour to thicken them. Sometimes the taco seasoning packets have flour. Mainly to make it look like you are getting your money's worth by filling up the packet.

I think most people think Tex- Mex like chips and nachos and crunchy tacos as Mexican food.

I'd stick with what you know. Most Mexican food is naturally gluten-free unless you use flour tortillas (which are not traditionally Mexican as far as I can tell) or add wheat flour as a thickener (again, not super traditional). So, of you select brands carefully or start from scratch it's easy to be gluten-free.

Thanks, I will do that then. Even though, I don't know much about Mexican food, I think, if somebody is newly diagnosed just the last few days, they may just be glad to have some kind of reassurance the last minute and don't have to do the research themselves, even though for old timer celiacs what I'm writing about may already be an old hat. I always keep forgetting how thankful I was for every piece of simple guidance, when I was newly diagnosed.

I have no idea what your target audience is - that said there's no "official" CDM food. One family will BBQ, another will make tacos, etc.

Just start with the general stuff and see where it goes. A simple recipe or two. Mexican food is incredibly diverse. I mean absolutely unbelievably diverse. You could cook different regional recipes your entire life and never cover all of it.

http://news.discovery.com/history/cinco-de-mayo-not-mexico-independence-day-france-spain-120504.html

My target audience is all kind of folks, who have any medical reason to go glutenfree in and around Harrisburg. This includes, but is not limited to finding businesses, who sell, and charities, who give out glutenfree foods in addition to other things glutenfree. It can be anything glutenfree really, but it HAS TO HAVE a connection to Harrisburg in some way.

My target audience is all kind of folks, who have any medical reason to go glutenfree in and around Harrisburg. This includes, but is not limited to finding businesses, who sell, and charities, who give out glutenfree foods in addition to other things glutenfree. It can be anything glutenfree really, but it HAS TO HAVE a connection to Harrisburg in some way.

Well, then I'd figure out what the Harrisburg version of Cinco de Mayo is. Every place has its traditions. There may be some food that's a must-have there?

Wow, that IS very interesting! I may want to read the entire book until next year, so I'm more educated! Thank you for posting!

Uhm, I did some research about some Cinco de Mayo food traditions in the Harrisburg area and found nothing. HOWEVER (cough) I found two Mexican Restaurants, one in Harrisburg, the other in Hummelstown, who happen to be sister restaurants, who were mentioned in a Harrisburg article to do some cool Cinco de Mayo celebrations today. And one would know they happen to offer a glutenfree menu. So needless to say, I am not only delighted, because I was craving to eat Mexican food in a restaurant and didn't dare going, because of possible language differences and misunderstandings. I'm also happy about this, because NOW I finally know, what I'm writing on. It will go something like this. "You can make this quick and easy at home..." followed by an explanation of my own personal and easy quicky recipe "... But if you don't want to cook and like something more fancy, go here..." blablabla... Heureka! That's it! Let's get to work!!! :-)

The mission brand corn tortilla is a good idea and I can just write aboute some good filling to add. Those mission brand ones are harder to find around Harrisburg though and I'm the blog author for the Harrisburg area. What's easier to find are the Ortega Taco Shells. If I'm correct the taco mix is glutenfree, while the taco sauce is not, because of the anti-caking agent, I think. Bit those two may be a start. Tortillas and tacos.

Stef, I'm in south central PA and my local Wal-Marts have large displays of Misson Brand products near the frozen foods/produce sections. Giant Foods should also have them.

While I'd read the label, I would think anti-caking agents would be gluten-free.