24 replies to this topic

#1 Cheryl_C

Cheryl_C

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:37 AM

We're going on vacation for a few days to Cape Cod - it will be my first time since going gluten-free. We'll be in Provincetown, Truro, and Hyannis. Can anyone make any recommendations? I read a bad review about a place called Tiny's, and a good review of the Lobster Pot. (I remember the LP from my pre-Gluten-free days, yum!) I'm hoping there are more options than that!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:43 AM

here you go! I think she charges a tiny fee for the list.

Underground Cape Cod

http://www.undergrou...n-cape-cod.html

She will even talk with you via email.
She has done extensive work compiling the list and blogging about it after she eats in these places.

I plan on using it myself when I visit family and friends on the Cape this summer.

I had many a good lobster and martini in the LP pre-Dx myself!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

Try the Coonamessett Inn in Falmouth. I was there once about two years ago, the restaurant manager was gluten free and made me a sundae from his private stash of gluten-free brownies. It was also, by far, the best filet mignon I've ever had. At the time, I'd found it because someone left a review on yelp or one of those websites. Now, they have a whole gluten free menu. Granted, it was two years ago, but the fact that they've evolved enough to have a menu is a good sign that they're still doing a good job with it. They have steamed spring rolls on the menu now! Gee, wish I lived closer than four hours away....
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

Gee, wish I lived closer than four hours away....

Hey, I'M about 4 hours away :) ....whattaya say you pick me up and we go get ourselves a big ass filet and some spring rolls.... B) Thelma?

signed,
Louise

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#5 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:50 AM

Hey, I'M about 4 hours away :) ....whattaya say you pick me up and we go get ourselves a big ass filet and some spring rolls.... B) Thelma?

signed,
Louise

Think Brad Pitt's available? :ph34r:

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:28 AM

Think Brad Pitt's available? :ph34r:

:lol:

probably not
all those wee ones and all

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#7 Cheryl_C

Cheryl_C

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:01 PM

Thanks for the info! I'm going to get the list ($3 isn't bad) and I will try to check out the restaurant in Falmouth as well. Cheers! :)

#8 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:55 AM

Thanks for the info! I'm going to get the list ($3 isn't bad) and I will try to check out the restaurant in Falmouth as well. Cheers! :)

Cheers, Kiddo--have a great time! :)

and come back and give us some reviews!!!!

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#9 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:36 PM

Fair warning= the Inn is a reservations kind of place on the weekend, woudn't want you to be dissapointed and get turned away cuz it's too busy! That's really only during tourst season, and I have no idea when that starts, just wanted to let you know.

#10 nlindsey

nlindsey

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

We're going on vacation for a few days to Cape Cod - it will be my first time since going gluten-free. We'll be in Provincetown, Truro, and Hyannis. Can anyone make any recommendations? I read a bad review about a place called Tiny's, and a good review of the Lobster Pot. (I remember the LP from my pre-Gluten-free days, yum!) I'm hoping there are more options than that!

I am a summer regular on the Cape. I highly recommend the Black Cat in Hyannis. I believe it is on Ocean Street right by the ferries. I have eaten there regularly the past 2 summers. The chef is very well-trained in cross-contamination. I never had an issue. On the weekends, they have great entertainment.
Also, in Falmouth, there is a little place around the corner from the Coonamesset Inn that I think is the best. It's an old home where the locals go, yet THEY HAVE A GLUTEN FREE MENU, and they have regular entertainment. It is called the Nimrod Inn. I am a regular there in the summer - it is very quaint, inviting, and classy. Hope these ideas help.

#11 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:15 AM

Try the Coonamessett Inn in Falmouth. I was there once about two years ago, the restaurant manager was gluten free and made me a sundae from his private stash of gluten-free brownies. It was also, by far, the best filet mignon I've ever had. At the time, I'd found it because someone left a review on yelp or one of those websites. Now, they have a whole gluten free menu. Granted, it was two years ago, but the fact that they've evolved enough to have a menu is a good sign that they're still doing a good job with it. They have steamed spring rolls on the menu now! Gee, wish I lived closer than four hours away....

I have eaten here also, in the past year, and the food was amazing. Their gluten-free menu is excellent and they bring you out warm gluten-free rolls too! It is not a cheap eats place and reservations are strongly recommended in summer but the food was so good, I didn't care how much it costs. I felt great after eating there and I am very, very sensitive. Anyone want to have a party, I am willing to drive the 2 hours down there. ;)

#12 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

I am a summer regular on the Cape. I highly recommend the Black Cat in Hyannis. I believe it is on Ocean Street right by the ferries. I have eaten there regularly the past 2 summers. The chef is very well-trained in cross-contamination. I never had an issue. On the weekends, they have great entertainment.
Also, in Falmouth, there is a little place around the corner from the Coonamesset Inn that I think is the best. It's an old home where the locals go, yet THEY HAVE A GLUTEN FREE MENU, and they have regular entertainment. It is called the Nimrod Inn. I am a regular there in the summer - it is very quaint, inviting, and classy. Hope these ideas help.

Thanks for the tip on these places!

#13 Cheryl_C

Cheryl_C

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

Let's keep the Cape recommendations going! With a little luck, we'll be back next year. I started a new thread in the Restaurant section as a holiday wrap-up, so be sure to check it out.

#14 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

Here is Cheryl's other thread, now moved to the Travel section, so everyone can see.

Thanks for reporting back to us!

http://www.celiac.co...782#entry808782

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#15 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:24 PM

oh i am SO SO SO happy i found this thread!!! im going to Cape Cod in August for the first time ever, and i really need to know my gluten free options!!! especially since most of our eating will be out :/ we're staying at my bf's grandmothers- and he says her fridge is always STUFFED :( im worried, i need SOME room, and i really need daily veggies for regularity :/

oy....
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: