6 replies to this topic

#1 Mnicole1981

Mnicole1981

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

I think I am in the process of having one pass. Please tell me that kidney stones are not one of the many symptoms of celiac disease.
gluten-gree as of May 9, 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Eleanor Creasey

Eleanor Creasey

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

Usually it's a result of dehydration but it seems like many people with Celiac/gluten-tolerance have kidney stones. I did but it was right before I started have symptoms.
Gluten-free since 2000

#3 Mnicole1981

Mnicole1981

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:05 PM

I drink a ton of water. This is all so weird for me. I sometimes feel like the doctors are not telling me everything.

#4 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:24 PM

I think I am in the process of having one pass. Please tell me that kidney stones are not one of the many symptoms of celiac disease.

There are four types of kidney stone. Do you know which kind you have? Is this something new to you, or have you passed stones before?

By "ton of water" can you say about how much that is? Do you drink a lot of other beverages such as coffee or soda?
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#5 Mnicole1981

Mnicole1981

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:52 PM

There are four types of kidney stone. Do you know which kind you have? Is this something new to you, or have you passed stones before?

By "ton of water" can you say about how much that is? Do you drink a lot of other beverages such as coffee or soda?

I am not sure what type it is. It is something new. And I mostly drink water and green tea. I do drink a lot of Smart Water, and refill the bottles. Maybe 2 liters or so a day.

#6 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:26 PM

Kidney stones can be one of the symptoms of celiac disease. Your body tries harvesting the calcium out of your bones to make up for the calcium it's not absorbing in the gut. The blood is filtered through the kidneys to regulate the calcium levels in the bloodstream. Guess where the extra ends up. :o :blink: :ph34r:

If this is your problem, (there are other types of kidney stone formation causes) then going gluten free and taking a calcium supplement like calcium citrate helps (along with magnesium and a B vitamin complex). Don't take "Tums," which is calcium carbonate, that can make it worse. My young adulthood was really interesting, as doctors were telling me to either avoid calcium or take calcium. :unsure:

#7 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:49 AM

drop the green tea immediately. those also caused kidney stones for me, the doc said that was the likely culprit!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: