8 replies to this topic

#1 Carebear

Carebear

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:02 PM

Does anyone know if Woodchuck cider is soy and dairy free? Darn those natural flavors!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:15 PM

While "natural flavors" can contain gluten, they very rarely actually do. The most likely source would be barley malt, and that is a relatively expensive ingredient, so it is usually explicitly declared as "malt flavor."

If there were wheat in it, in the US it would be required by law to be disclosed as just that, "wheat."

Shelley Case on flavorings:

It would be rare to find a "natural or artificial flavoring" containing gluten (a) because hydrolyzed wheat protein cannot be hidden under the term "flavor." and (b) barley malt extract is almost always declared as "barley malt extract" or "barley malt flavoring." For this reason, most experts do not restrict natural and artificial flavorings in the gluten-free diet.

Gluten-Free Diet - A Comprehensive Resource Guide, published 2008, page 46

That said, soy and milk are FALCPA top-eight allergens that must, by law, be disclosed in the USA. In Canada, they are "priority allergens" that CFIA rules require to be disclosed.

No worries.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:02 PM

That said, soy and milk are FALCPA top-eight allergens that must, by law, be disclosed in the USA. In Canada, they are "priority allergens" that CFIA rules require to be disclosed.

In the US, FALCPA does not apply to alcoholic beverages. It only applies to FDA-regulated foods.

(I'll see your big font and raise you a boldface. Heh!)

I doubt there would be soy or dairy in the "natural ingredients" in cider but the best bet is to check with the manufacturer.

#4 Carebear

Carebear

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:48 AM

Thanks for the replies! I'll call Monday and post their reply.

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,768 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:43 AM

That said, soy and milk are FALCPA top-eight allergens that must, by law, be disclosed in the USA. In Canada, they are "priority allergens" that CFIA rules require to be disclosed.[/size][/font]

No worries.

This applies to foods but not to alcoholic beverages in the US. No ingrediennts at all need to be listed on alcohol here. That said Woodchuck is gluten, soy and dairy free AFAIK. I drink it on occasion.

Edit: Whoops, sorry didn't realize this info had already been posted. I'm not fully awake yet.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#6 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:07 AM

Ingredients do not need to be listed on alcoholic beverages, but my understanding is that if they are listed, they need to comply with all regulations and FALCPA.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:04 AM

Ingredients do not need to be listed on alcoholic beverages, but my understanding is that if they are listed, they need to comply with all regulations and FALCPA.

As far as I can tell, alcoholic beverages are under the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms. Certain non-malted beers, wine coolers, and low-alcohol cooking wines fall under FDA jurisdiction. Beer, wine, spirits, and hard cider would be exempt from FALCPA. FALCPA applies to packaged food, which is regulated under FDA. Meat, poultry, and eggs are also exempt from FALCPA because they are under USDA guidelines. (USDA does have a law requiring the declaration of grain fillers.) OTC and prescription medications are also exempt from FALCPA, although many manufacturers voluntarily comply.

It's a hard slog thought the regulatory documents but you might find this helpful.
http://www.fda.gov/F...g&utm_content=3

#8 Carebear

Carebear

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:12 AM

I called and they told me that the natural flavors are "apple flavoring", and are gluten, dairy and soy free. It's my understanding that if the flavor is specified (like "apple" instead of "natural"), it doesn't contain any other ingredients. I sure hope the extraction method doesn't involve gluten... anyone know?

#9 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,240 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

Wood chuck ciders are gluten-free. They even say so on them.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: