3 replies to this topic

#1 celiac custody battle

celiac custody battle

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:33 AM

Our six year old was diagnosed with celiacs at three... when our divorce began. She had two positive blood tests and one negative.... no endoscopy... father claims I convinced myself she has something "hard " to diagnose and threat... to get attention presumably... He won... I could not afford a lawyer... he had two. The doctors would not back up the diagnosis... now he has been given sole medical/ legal custody... I can only take her to the doctor in emergencies. He denies she has rash, diarreah, pain in her arms and legs, really bad gas... vomiting.... her stool is seldom firm and the color changes frequently...
I do not have insurrance to have an endoscopy done on myself...but I have had the same symptoms all my life... Not eating gluten is the only thing that works to make me feel completely fine... in fact I feel great and full of energy when I abstain...!
We live in a small town... medical care (and family law) here is really backward... I don't know what to do for my daughter... Her father would not admit that she had symptoms before, which I do not understand, he certainly will not now... My credibility was questioned but no proof was offered, only inuendo that I had pressed the doctor and had taken the child to the doctor "more than usual." The custody order actually said it was just too hard to maintain a gluten free diet... and that he now has control over her third party notification regarding diet restrictions... This decision is harmful to our daugjters' health... but I am barred from helping her... by law... without good reason...I am intimidated by him, all the lawyers, doctors, judges... He tried to accuse me of child abuse for not feeding her gluten. Someone help... please

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

Are there free attorneys through family court?

Do you have copies of her medical records and lab reports? What was submitted to the court to support the dx and what did the doctors say to retract their dx? Who said the diet is too difficult to maintain? the judge or a doctor?

I'd get SCIENTIFIC articles - easy to read and succinct, and take all of them (records, articles) to a lawyer, law clinic.

If all else fails what about Child Welfare or whoever it is you report child abuse to?
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 xjrosie

xjrosie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

Our six year old was diagnosed with celiacs at three... when our divorce began. She had two positive blood tests and one negative.... no endoscopy... father claims I convinced myself she has something "hard " to diagnose and threat... to get attention presumably... He won... I could not afford a lawyer... he had two. The doctors would not back up the diagnosis... now he has been given sole medical/ legal custody... I can only take her to the doctor in emergencies. He denies she has rash, diarreah, pain in her arms and legs, really bad gas... vomiting.... her stool is seldom firm and the color changes frequently...
I do not have insurrance to have an endoscopy done on myself...but I have had the same symptoms all my life... Not eating gluten is the only thing that works to make me feel completely fine... in fact I feel great and full of energy when I abstain...!
We live in a small town... medical care (and family law) here is really backward... I don't know what to do for my daughter... Her father would not admit that she had symptoms before, which I do not understand, he certainly will not now... My credibility was questioned but no proof was offered, only inuendo that I had pressed the doctor and had taken the child to the doctor "more than usual." The custody order actually said it was just too hard to maintain a gluten free diet... and that he now has control over her third party notification regarding diet restrictions... This decision is harmful to our daugjters' health... but I am barred from helping her... by law... without good reason...I am intimidated by him, all the lawyers, doctors, judges... He tried to accuse me of child abuse for not feeding her gluten. Someone help... please

First, document EVERYTHING. Take pictures, make a log, recordings...anything to keep records of her symptoms. Gather all the doctor's files you have in regard to her positive blood tests. Yes, take pictures of her poop. Date everything.

Then, contact the free legal office in your area. If they won't help, start contacting every family lawyer to plead for them to help you pro bono.

Good luck

#4 Di2011

Di2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:09 PM

Just for a few moments I want you to leave the divorce and legal proceedings aside. I'll get back to that crap later :(
When did your daughter start having problems with her health? How did it present?
What lead you to getting celiac testing? What specific testing did she have and when?
What specific symptoms does your daughter suffer - details/timings/severity? And how did you (or doc???) link this to gluten as opposed to other culprits?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: