Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

As If Gluten Intolerance Wasn't Enough: Now It's A Whole Slew Of Other Foods!

• Please log in to reply

5 replies to this topic

#1 jenny0

jenny0

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:14 AM

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum, but not new to a gluten free lifestyle. I found out I was gluten intolerant almost 10 years ago and have been gluten free ever since, to the best of my ability. I have seen many improvements to my health, and to all outward appearances, seem healthy. But haven't been able to lick the mild hypo-thyroid, the the osteopenia (I'm 48), and I'm not sure where my adrenals stand. I control blood sugar with my diet. Anyway, long story short, I just recently decided to check to see if I have other food intolerances that are holding me back. So, did the panel enterolab offers: gluten,rice, corn, soy,milk, eggs, walnuts, beef, chicken, tuna, pork, and white potatoes.

I am "most" reactive to RICE, corn, soy, beef, pork, walnuts and white potatoes. They recommend also that I stay away from all nightshades (because of the reaction to white potato) AND eggs and dairy (because although I didn't show a reaction I may be one of 1 in 500 people who don't make the Iga that shows up in the testing) (?) I'm afraid this new knowledge brings up more questions than it answers.. if I'm sensitive to all of these foods - how many more may be out there that I didn't test for? I just came off the Colorado Cleanse - at the core of it is a period of eating only rice and mung beans, which are supposed to be super easy to digest, and healing to the gut - only to find out that RICE is one of my no-no foods. I am overwhelmed. Am thinking of doing broader testing... because what's the point of putting so much energy into eating well if you don't know what's hurting you (rice - a staple gluten-free food, for example). Going gluten free is EASY compared to this. Help! anyone else having this dilemna? Any advice for me? I don't have insurance, don't have a doc that understands gluten issues and testing -it's all me. I'm willing to do the work but not sure where to start. So far, I'm trying to figure out how to live without rice, corn and soy - baking not a problem, but what to substitute for rice. Went to the grocery store and realized that where I used to be able to buy 10% of what's in there, now it's more like 1%. I'm gonna get familiar with millet (hope I'm not sensitive to that!). Thanks for any tips you might have : )

Jenny

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:46 PM

Sorry, I am unfamiliar with the test that you had done. Is that for true allergies (IgE) or intolerances? If intolerances it is possible you can eventually add rice back into your diet. It's also possible that your eating rice daily could have brought about the intolerance. It's usually best to vary your diet if you can.

#3 Michelle1234

Michelle1234

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

Hi Jenny,

I also developed a bunch of food allergies after 5 yrs on a gluten free diet. I got a head to toe skin reaction with white pustules that itched like crazy and my stomach hurt any time I ate. My testing showed I was reacting to cow dairy, goat dairy, egg (both whites and yolks), beef, lamb, rice, almond, peanut, avocado, blueberry, pineapple, red grape, asparagus, green been, green pepper, kidney bean and mushroom. And I got the simple food panel! No telling how many it would be if they had tested for the advanced panel. My Dr. ran a digestive profile with more info than I can begin to describe and we solved the problem with supplements and staying completely off the reactive food for 3 months. I can now eat all of it again. Basically I had a yeast problem and was low on one strain of probiotic.

Since you don't have a Dr. I can tell you about the supplements I took. But they aren't cheap. I looked on the Internet for the best price.

Allimax - 2 times per day for 8 weeks. With food. This was to take care of a yeast infection.
Candibactin BR - 2 times per day for 8 weeks. With food. This was to take care of a yeast infection and bad bacteria.
These two can be taken together.

The probiotic I needed more of was Ultra Bifidus DF (DF stands for dairy free). 1/2 tsp per day. But I didn't really take it every day because it is killed by the above two items so it can't be taken with them. Instead I tended to go with a broad base probiotic that I usually take and it was easier for me to remember to do it. I took it in the evening while doing the first two with breakfast and lunch.

He also recommended I take Saccharomyces Boulardii. 3 times per day. Also can't take it with the first two as it is supposedly a good yeast that he was replacing the bad yeast with. I couldn't really figure out how to work it in my schedule so did not take it most days.

After 8 weeks of doing this and staying off the offending foods for 3 months I reintroduced the foods and have had no problem with them. I think the first two supplements were the key. I also took and continue to take Digest Spectrum which is a broad base digestive enzyme with every meal. As mentioned above I also took and continue to take a good probiotic with the meal I did not take the supplements with.

Good luck!
Michelle

#4 jenny0

jenny0

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:33 AM

Sorry, I am unfamiliar with the test that you had done. Is that for true allergies (IgE) or intolerances? If intolerances it is possible you can eventually add rice back into your diet. It's also possible that your eating rice daily could have brought about the intolerance. It's usually best to vary your diet if you can.

Thanks for your reply.

Inolerances. I haven't tested to see about to what extent my villi are compromised, or to what extend I can digest fats, but I suppose that I can infer from all of these food intolerances that my digestive system still has issues, after all these years of a gluten-free diet. It is comforting to know, though, that I will probably be able to eat most foods again in the future.

#5 jenny0

jenny0

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:46 AM

Hi Jenny,

I also developed a bunch of food allergies after 5 yrs on a gluten free diet. I got a head to toe skin reaction with white pustules that itched like crazy and my stomach hurt any time I ate. My testing showed I was reacting to cow dairy, goat dairy, egg (both whites and yolks), beef, lamb, rice, almond, peanut, avocado, blueberry, pineapple, red grape, asparagus, green been, green pepper, kidney bean and mushroom. And I got the simple food panel! No telling how many it would be if they had tested for the advanced panel. My Dr. ran a digestive profile with more info than I can begin to describe and we solved the problem with supplements and staying completely off the reactive food for 3 months. I can now eat all of it again. Basically I had a yeast problem and was low on one strain of probiotic.

Since you don't have a Dr. I can tell you about the supplements I took. But they aren't cheap. I looked on the Internet for the best price.

Allimax - 2 times per day for 8 weeks. With food. This was to take care of a yeast infection.
Candibactin BR - 2 times per day for 8 weeks. With food. This was to take care of a yeast infection and bad bacteria.
These two can be taken together.

The probiotic I needed more of was Ultra Bifidus DF (DF stands for dairy free). 1/2 tsp per day. But I didn't really take it every day because it is killed by the above two items so it can't be taken with them. Instead I tended to go with a broad base probiotic that I usually take and it was easier for me to remember to do it. I took it in the evening while doing the first two with breakfast and lunch.

He also recommended I take Saccharomyces Boulardii. 3 times per day. Also can't take it with the first two as it is supposedly a good yeast that he was replacing the bad yeast with. I couldn't really figure out how to work it in my schedule so did not take it most days.

After 8 weeks of doing this and staying off the offending foods for 3 months I reintroduced the foods and have had no problem with them. I think the first two supplements were the key. I also took and continue to take Digest Spectrum which is a broad base digestive enzyme with every meal. As mentioned above I also took and continue to take a good probiotic with the meal I did not take the supplements with.

Good luck!
Michelle

Thanks Michelle : ) I don't think yeast is one of my problems.. but it's good to hear that you got that cleared up and are eating a more normal range of foods again. Like you, I am wondering: if I am intolerant of all these foods, what else am I eating that I didn't test for? Makes me want to test everything I eat - seems like nothing is off limits - not even fruits and veggies. Also frustrating: I don't react immediately to anything (even gluten) - it's more the long-term effect, like bone loss, foggy brain, acne, etc - so it's hard for me to determine what foods are having a deleterious effect.

#6 GF Jeannie Marie

GF Jeannie Marie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:42 AM

I got to the point where I didn't know what to even try to eat cause of all the reactions I was having. The common thread I finally found for my issues was MSG. It hides everywhere and under names you'd never know unless you have done lots of research. Although this may not be your problem it could help if you eat only fresh foods and be sure you know where & what really is in your food.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: